RANT! Subway Sandwiches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: paulo57509
Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
What I think is most funny about subway is that their parent company is "Doctor's Associates" so you know it's got to be healthy food.

What kind of doctors are they? They could be **** doctors (I can't spell "proctologist").

No offense to those members who are doctors....
cheers3.gif

And click and clack recommend such doctors drive the Ford Probe.

I have a Subway sandwich shop near where I work. I guess I wouldn't ever eat there, except for the convenience. Anyway, any time that I go there, the lady who puts on the veggies always says: "Do you want everything on it?" (I normally just take lettuce, tomatoes, black olives and jalapenos) This place has no problem putting double the portions on whatever you wish for. So this post about no olives or at least no extra olives really surprises me.

There is a Subway shop in a town that my wife shops in that also serves pizza. I had one once and, IMO, those things are nasty.

Subway's too expensive for me. It's like $7 for the footlong club. I'm a cold sub person. Jimmy Johns is decent, and my wife wants me to try a few others, but Subway tastes the best for me. Besides the first time I ate there, and recently when they had that burbon chicken, that btw was nasty because they just poured the sauce on the chicken and made the bread nasty!, I've gotten the same subway club for as long as they've been in my home town (10yrs+ IIRC).

either 6" or 12" Club on Wheat
American Cheese
Lettuce
Pickles
Onions (sometimes)
Carrots if they have them
Spinach " "
Jalepenos
Salt and Pepper
Mustard
Mayo.

Every now and then I'll throw an extra veggie or another sauce on it. Around here most don't seem stingy with veggies. I hate that at restaurants. Order a grilled veggie skewer and they give you one skewer. Veggies certainly cost less than Mac and Cheese, or French Fries, quit skimping!

Last edited:
You guys are doing it wrong, don't get the combo, it's a rip! I always just get a sandwich with a cup of water. Apply to all fast-food restaurants.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
In the restaurant chain I work for we weigh out many things using scales before you get your food. It's extremely common in the industry because of the "high cost, low margin" factor the restaurant models run on.
wink.gif

They might also do it to get the same nutrition quantity per serving.

No we strictly use it for food cost control...

When we submit our recipe information for various dishes to a company that works out the nutritional value (not cheap BTW), they go based on a portion that we would normally serve. (Recipe cards)

When we use the scales they have to fall within a range and not an exact number as it is too hard to get exact numbers in quick amounts of time.

We know that if we keep it in a certain range we are OK on the food costs...

On a side note... It's now a law up here that all restaurant chains have to have this information on file. They don't have to share it with guests at restaurant level, even upon request but they do have to have it on file and make it available to guests who send a request to the "head office" of the chain.

Makes changing the menu very expensive as the product nutritional info has to be on file before the dish is allowed to be served.

Also I don't know about the US but in Canada Trans Fat containing products have been banned from all (including mom/paps) restaurants for over 2 years now. I think this was a positive move forward... (This includes fryer oils)

Originally Posted By: Loobed
Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
I am surprised no one has mentioned Publix's sandwiches.

Pubic sandwiches????

is that something like a [censored]?

is that a StevieC's special?
grin2.gif

FYI Stevie Genesis nutrition software can be used to build a real quick, accurate and compliant nutrient panel. Pretty much most product developers here in the US rarely send out samples for lab analysis because the database back end of genesis is pretty much rock solid. Check it out it's a gem.....

http://www.esha.com/

Yeah we are beta testing that now in our company... We are still sending out data to a company and comparing the accuracy with this new software. So far so good, but we are going to do this for 6 months until we know we can trust the software...

You'll save a lot of money backing away from nutritional analysis. Most of the food testing laboratories don't like Genesis very much LOL. I mean if you guys were making nutriceuticals or some form of medical nutrition products then by all means keep on feeding the rats in the lab :).

Yeah it costs us like $2000 for each item we submit to have the nutritional info worked out for... This software will pay for itself very quick.
wink.gif

Here's how I've dealt with subway folks when they behave this way. I let them finish the sandwich, look at it, and then say, "thanks but no thanks" and walk off. I love the looks on their faces when I do this. 95% of the time I get what I want, but when I get treated like this, I walk. Very simple. There are many others who'd love to sell you a sandwich.

Subway is gross. What they call "vegetables" are just vegetable knockoffs. Just like a fake Rolex, from a distance it looks like the real deal, but upon closer inspection you notice it's just not quite the same. As an example, the tomatoes. Subway tomatoes are mostly white, consisting mostly of slimy seedy pulp. They in no way resemble the tomatoes that I picked from my garden yesterday.

I guess that's what happens when you race towards the bottom, with this latest fad of "5 dollar footlongs".

You couldn't be more correct! I've been in this industry for the past 15 years and the powers that be are really watching every penny we spend. Food cost is the biggest cost we can control right now. The thing that I don't get is customers want bigger portions, more healthy options(or just more choices in general), better service, and yet they can't understand why prices must go up. In the past few years, the cost of doing business in the restaurant industry has significanty risen, yet prices haven't. I am fortunate that I work for a corporate store so things are a lot better than if I was part of a franchise. In regards to the comments made about franchises. I guess it all depends on how long term the franchisee plans on being around. Some are in it for a quick buck and once they establish a solid customer base, they start cutting corners and run it into the ground once they've made their $$$. Smaller investors are more likely to stay in it for the long run and do things right each and every day. It seems like more and more though they are just looking for a quick buck. Our company has gone so far as to start buying franchises out and shutting them down because they are run so poorly they are giving the company a bad name.

Most solid restaurants that I have worked with either patrol the franchisees randomly to the point that they either are rock solid, or don't exist at all! The allusion of control is more dangerous than the belief of control when it comes down to food safety and consumer protection issues. I helped a tex-mex outfit with >400 stores come to the realization that their franchise operations had no clue what a cold chain was and were also guilty of spot buying ingredients at local outlets (NOT GOOD).

It took a lot of randomly sourced data and quite a few solidly identified illness complaints to tell the tale, but in the end they saw it our way and started buying out these inexperienced/immoral operators before further harm could be done to their brand equity. They also switched to synthetic engine and drive train lubricants while doubling their International fleet's drain interval and implementing a coolant analysis and warranty claims tracking program before I left too LOL! In the end shippin sh [censored] with a smile will catch up to the immoral folks of this world.

Once I had the manager of a Subway tell me he was going to have to charge me more because I asked for double tomatos. I pointed out that I was paying for a chicken breast sub but only getting half the normal amount of meat (I don't like to eat tons of meat) and he let it go. I was glad that that guy is normally not there on the night I ususally go to Subway. If they are consistently stingy, go to a different Subwy. There are plenty of them out there.

Im not a picky eater and eat prety much any sandwhich from anyplace lol I really want a MacRib that was allways my favorite. so spicey so hot with that delishous sauce!!!
20.gif
During my 5 mile trip last week i had fast food three or four times every day!!! luckily my wife doesnt know she packed me some bird and rabbit food for my trip!! I fed that to the squirrals and birds.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back