Dollar Tree Yesterday

Why don't people keep $50 or more in their car?

Which reminds me i need to replace my spare cash because I had to use it to buy gas because my debit card only had $30 or so left (i don't keep much money in my checking account just because I don't trust the pick n pull)

I'm not giving you cash without asking lots of questions first. Old people have the right idea (help those who need it) but are entirely too gullible.
My wife does this and it's a habit I've never acquired, but good practice. Lately she stashes a bill between her phone and phone case. Not a terrible plan considering she might be driving any one of our four vehicles

Not that clear cut, in that she would be paying into the system starting with maybe, 1980s dollars but receiving payments in 2020s dollars.
Right, but my point is had she been able to put those mandatorily withheld 1980's dollars into an index fund she would be far better off in the 2020s.

My biggest pet peeve was beggars who would approach me at work (less common now as I work from home).

I just find incredible irony in approaching someone who is WORKING FOR A PAYCHECK to ask for money. See what I'm doing to obtain MY money? Try it!!!
The Entitlement Culture has been promoted since Jan. 20, 2009.

"if you don't have it, the taxpayers owe it to you".
"if you owe debts, you don't have to pay them".
"if you want someones home, squat in it".

We seem to live in an entitled society and that isn't limited to the poor. The middle class seem to expect that they should be able to have everything they want while the truly wealthy captains of industry seem to think they should be obscenely well compensated for ruining the companies they run and then paid again to leave them.
Not sure what the answer is, but I'd sooner die than show up at a check-out with no means to pay the tab, much less accept money from some little old lady to cover it.
There is such a thing as pride and there is also shame. Maybe more people should embrace these concepts?

So you're saying someone who owns a Navigator can't be behind on all of their credit card bills?

Just because someone has a Lincoln Navigator, doesn't mean that they OWN a Lincoln Navigat
You really shouldn't purchase a car that is more than 5% of your net worth. If you are making a lower wage I could see stretching that to get a reliable car. If the Nav was hers shame on her. I do see too many people buy cars they really cannot afford.

Agree that the woman’s behavior in the OP was abhorrent, particularly with daughters in tow (nice to pass that behavior down). But this, and general begging, and sense of entitlement is nothing new. Someone well known once said “The poor you will always have with you”. Watch old movies. Andy Griffith Show and many other popular sitcoms made before and after had these situations incorporated into episodes. Scheming, scamming, stupidity, etc have been around since forever.

Go to your nearest food shelf, and see the # of high end vehicles that utilize their services.....

I remember around the time of COVID, my kid's school district allowed for one box of food for every student in the district. None of it was means tested, but it was only supposed to be one for each student. I got a call from the school district informing me of it and I got my kid's student ID number just in case it was asked for. And some of the food was really high quality.

The lines got really long, where the closest pickup site was a high school. I knew a shortcut and sometimes they'd let me cut in but once someone got really angry and I didn't get in line. I ended up parking nearby and did walkup for one box. But it was pretty clear that some of the people didn't need it. A lot of really expensive vehicles. And some of the people picking up seemed too old to have kids in school. Also a lot of requests for multiple boxes, although I'm not sure if they were lying or claiming they were picking up for a friends' kids. I suspect a lot were lying that they had kids in the district and/or the number of kids. I'm sure a lot of it ended up being sold on the sidewalk in certain areas.

On SS - this is pretty easy - for those not willing to look it up...

SS as mentioned - you have to work minimum 10 years. Your actual wages - or "Average Indexed Monthly Earnings (AIME)" is calculated based on your highest 35 years, and those years are adjusted for inflation - so its not always your most recent 35 years, but for most it is. So in the example of someone that worked 10 years, they would have 25 years of zero's added to their AIME.

Once you have an amount, you need to have reason to collect. You either need to be retirement age, or disabled. If your disability is psychiatric in nature, which for many homeless it might be, then you would need a diagnosis and a physician sign off. Its possible that many homeless are possibly eligible but maybe haven't gone through the proper steps, or don't want to see a doctor or whatever.

One last note. Social security is actually progressive - meaning the less you pay in, the more you get back, relatively speaking. For example if you worked minimum wage for 35 years, vs paid max SS tax for 35 years, as a percentage of pay in the minimum wage earner would get more back relative to their salary. So if someone is only getting $200, then they paid in basically nothing.

As for the OP - this is why I have become pretty much cold hearted as I age regarding those less fortunate. Everyone looking for a hand out, whether they need one or not. I know I shouldn't be this way, and wasn't always. I am always happy to help a friend no matter how much is needed. But I have no use for people like the old lady in the OP, and given she is training her grandchildren the same thing, there bloodline will likely always be takers.

The pan handlers around strategic intersections are a nuisance to traffic and dog help you if you hit one. Most are better dressed than my average outfit when I worked. The guy at the entrance to the shopping center HF is in aggravates me. Practically every operating store has a help wanted sign. Grrrr

Back