Dollar Tree Yesterday

2. Question about homeless older people. Don't they get social security? Don't know what the minimum you can collect but assume it's at least $500 a month. If you have no other expenses, you're not starving even if you eat at McDonald's twice a day.
Social Security isn't automatically given to everyone. You need to have worked and paid Social Security taxes for 10 years or more before you're eligible.

Social Security isn't automatically given to everyone. You need to have worked and paid Social Security taxes for 10 years or more before you're eligible.
I assumed everyone from age 62 is entitled to it. Still, it's hard to imagine any able bodied individual hasn't worked at least 10 years in the last 50 years, even part time.

I assumed everyone from age 62 is entitled to it. Still, it's hard to imagine any able bodied individual hasn't worked at least 10 years in the last 50 years, even part time.
We are talking about homeless. If they worked for 10+ years, they probably wouldn't be homeless. Many of these folks might work a little here or there, but may be getting paid cash "under the table" so not paying SS taxes.

Some day humanity will look back at our time as a terrible one.

Our diets. The physical deformities that come from our diets. Our throwaway debt driven culture. The way we treat the environment. The way we create permanent second class citizens. How we treat those with mental illnesses and those who have a string of bad luck. The overall vanity and cruelty of the shallow media culture we have created.

So much poison...

Some day humanity will look back at our time as a terrible one.

Our diets. The physical deformities that come from our diets. Our throwaway debt driven culture. The way we treat the environment. The way we create permanent second class citizens. How we treat those with mental illnesses and those who have a string of bad luck. The overall vanity and cruelty of the shallow media culture we have created.

So much poison...
And two thousand years ago was any better? Life expectancy under 30 years. Throwing people to the lions at the Colosseum for entertainment. Wide spread famine and plagues.

Not sure why the disappointed emojis, but I'm fed up with all of the people who beg but don't need it. Actually I'm tired of the beggars period.
My biggest pet peeve was beggars who would approach me at work (less common now as I work from home).

I just find incredible irony in approaching someone who is WORKING FOR A PAYCHECK to ask for money. See what I'm doing to obtain MY money? Try it!!!

People die, taking advantage will catch up with you.

And two thousand years ago was any better? Life expectancy under 30 years. Throwing people to the lions at the Colosseum for entertainment. Wide spread famine and plagues.
Well, High Frutos Corn Syrup is a far cry from adding LEAD to wine!

As a sanctuary state, there is talk now about guaranteed income.... for the not legally recognized citizens.

My Wife has worked for decades as a licensed professional, almost all pro-bono. Your post triggered me to research if she gets social security, and if so, if it is based on earning, likely very little. What I found is she is entitled to 50 percent of my social security based after I die. But I suspect, albeit in very rare cases, someone who has been a very productive member of society, does not qualify for social security, or a very small monthly social security entitlement.

I hear many homeless had normal lives before, but lost their job often by no fault of their own and couldn't find another one. Couldn't pay their mortgage or rent and lost their home.
I suppose there could be one offs, but I have had a lot of experience with homeless. The overwhelming majority have made decades of poor choices and life decisions to the point that even family has given up on them. Almost all are emotionally disturbed, or hopeless addicts/alcoholics or both. I have compassion for the miserable life they live, but I also understand short of Divine intervention there is no real helping them.

I suppose there could be one offs, but I have had a lot of experience with homeless. The overwhelming majority have made decades of poor choices and life decisions to the point that even family has given up on them. Almost all are emotionally disturbed, or hopeless addicts/alcoholics or both. I have compassion for the miserable life they live, but I also understand short of Divine intervention there is no real helping them.
Zoning laws are a factor too. If builders could build small 400-500 sf houses costing maybe $30,000-$40k so that $300 a month mortgages are possible, many more maginally employed people could afford home ownership. Good luck getting local jurisdictions to approve that. They rather spend $100 a night putting them up in motels.

My Wife has worked for decades as a licensed professional, almost all pro-bono. Your post triggered me to research if she gets social security, and if so, if it is based on earning, likely very little. What I found is she is entitled to 50 percent of my social security based after I die. But I suspect, albeit in very rare cases, someone who has been a very productive member of society, does not qualify for social security, or a very small monthly social security entitlement.
Sorry dude, since we're pretty sure all your income is Black Ops, I don't think those "employers" admit they ever knew you or that you ever existed :D

• Haha
Reactions: GON
Why don't people keep $50 or more in their car?

Which reminds me i need to replace my spare cash because I had to use it to buy gas because my debit card only had $30 or so left (i don't keep much money in my checking account just because I don't trust the pick n pull)

I'm not giving you cash without asking lots of questions first. Old people have the right idea (help those who need it) but are entirely too gullible.

The formulas to how long you need to work to collect Social Security are well documented. It's not a mystery. To Gon's point about his wife-you need to work for "wages" to accrue credit in to your account.

Yup...I know a lady that Gets $200 a month
I know that before dad passed. Mom's SS check was about $750 in 1999. After dad passed she was able to get close to $1300 a month. Which grew as she spent her final years in Assisted Living, until she was 96.

Last edited:
Very little earnings means very little contributed to SS, so in the end all is well. She won't have the sickening fact of a horrendous ROI like the rest of us who have been paying in.

Very little earnings means very little contributed to SS, so in the end all is well. She won't have the sickening fact of a horrendous ROI like the rest of us who have been paying in.
Not that clear cut, in that she would be paying into the system starting with maybe, 1980s dollars but receiving payments in 2020s dollars.

Back