RANT! Subway Sandwiches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up my wife for lunch today (her last week before school starts, 2nd grade teacher) and went to the Subway Sandwiches across the street.

She orders the daily special turkey club, 6". I order the $5 Footlong BLT. Gal won't give her black olives. WHAT? So she asks again, nicely. Girl puts literally 3 slices (about 2/3 single olive) onto her sandwich. We both look at eachother, shake it off, and continue to my sandwich.

Forgetting what we just went through, I ask for black olives. She puts 2 slices (about 1/2 single olive) on my sandwich. I ask for more. She says No. I ask her again nicely for more olives, because I like them (trying to be nice/human). She gives me one more slice. She then asks me what else I want. I say, "Just a little bit of mustard and mayo" to avoid globbing it on like usual. She says, "Which one do you want, Mustard OR Mayo?". I'm taken a bit aback. I raise my voice so that everyone can hear it--"I would like both Mustard and Mayo". She has a long pause, and then puts each on the sandwich.

She asks, "Anything else?". I say, "Yes, more black olives please". She shoots back, "I can't give you anymore, there is a limit". Immediately I say, "HOW MUCH WILL IT COST TO GIVE ME MORE OLIVES?". I turn to the other gal who cuts the bread and she looks at me with one of those "I don't know what to do!" looks. The first girl mumbles, "I can't give you any more olives."

I am literally prepared to give her $20 for a small handful of olives at this point, just enough to go from one end of the sandwich to the other. Instead, I take an extremely long pause and look at each other employee and shake my head, while maintaining deliberate eye contact with each. She wraps up my sandwich (my wife had already paid for both, and the cashier had gone into the back), and sit down at our table.

I am the LAST person to get upset with people, and I was more shocked in disbelief at the encounter than anything. I am a business owner and have several friends who own franchised restraunts and am well familiar with food costs as well as employee training practices, but JEEZUS!! My wife says, "I guess we'll be driving down to the other Subway down the street from now on" so that others could hear.

So stupid. This makes me sad for my friends and businesses that have employees think that by saving less than $0.01 in olives and getting into a subdued altercation with their patrons that they are helping in some way. Maybe she was having a bad day (I wasn't until then!) or is just plain bad at making sandwiches, but come on.

Originally Posted By: Solo2driver
"HOW MUCH WILL IT COST TO GIVE ME MORE OLIVES?".

LOL.gif
I don't think I've ever received olives in slices ...

I've noticed this quite a bit.

Order 5 or 6 toppings for a pizza at 75 cents each and they barely scatter them on because apparantly they're afraid of the pizza getting overloaded... when I want it overloaded. Would get the same quantity of "stuff" if I just ordered one or two toppings.

When this $5 footlong thing became permanent, I immediately got wondering how thin in diameter it would become. Perhaps as small as a hot dog, eventually. This leaves the $3.79 six incher in an akward spot: Do they halve the food or perhaps stuff it better?

More than likely they were simply low on olives that day. No excuse... you should have gotten your full share and then they'd put up a "no olives" sign for future customers.

I used to work in a restaurant when I was 15-16 and the politics were incredible. Relates to the pinhead manager. We rotated through sandwiches, dishes, grill: one day on each. There was no motivation to set up the next day's worker with any food or other prep.

Am sure subway's franchise agreement requires them to stick to a certain recipe which includes portion amounts. Could always call corporate and narc. Might get some coupons out of it.

I think you get a total of one cup of additional veggies/toppings, not including lettuce.

Lettuce, Tomatoes, Olives. That's it. On a BLT (which is BACON, Lettuce, Tomato....). I don't think I was out of line hahahaha.

I should have ordered peppers, cucumbers, etc.....and then had them removed and replaced with Olives, just to show her how retarded her behavior was. It's laughable now, but unbelievable at the time :)

The subways here tend to be a bit stingy on the olives too. Usually the "sandwich artists" don't care much about it, though, and will pile them on when prodded enough.

I usually (and I mean 100% of the time for the last 4 years) I get:

12" Italian BMT on Parmesean Oregano bread
Provalone (none here in Houston, so we go Swiss)
Toasted

Lettuce
Tomato
OLIVES
Little bit of Mustard + Mayo (half serving)
Little bit of salt + pepper (half serving)
Little bit of oil + vinegar (half serving)

That my friends is a tasty sandwich!! Try it :)

Solo2driver,

Something like this happened to me at a Deli. I told the girl that I no longer wanted the sandwich and walked away.

Why should I have to beg an employee at the place where I want to eat to do their job correctly ???
21.gif

Sounds like this lazy girl hates her job and is taking it out on customers. Did you call the Subway and speak to the owner?

never had a problem w/ the subways here in PA, though I must admit it isn't my favorite place for a sandwich. I like lots of olives also, light on the lettuce. I wish they would put the mayo on the bread, instead of at the end of the assembly.
but at wawa, they have custom order touch screens where you can specify the amount of stuff. big variety also. I LOVE wawa.
quiznos has good sandwiches too, but xpen$ive.

mpvue, I agree-- I usually ask them to put condiments on the meat/bread first, and then load up...so it doesn't fill up like a jelly donut :)

Hindsight I would have said, "Never mind, keep your sandwich", but I was hungry and we did not have a ton of time, and my daughter was there and REALLY did not want to be rude to someone in front of her. She's 19 months old, but knows EVERYTHING you are saying, including tones, and WILL ask why I was "being sad to lady" hehe

Where in Houston was this?

Most are stingy with banana peppers....
$5 Oven Roasted Chicken w/mozzarella.
Lettuce, Tomatoes, Onion, Black Olives, Banana Peppers and a splash of vinegar.

Originally Posted By: JeepZJ4.0

Westheimer & Fountain View, west of the Galleria (across from my wife's school, Memorial Lutheran).

We live further west and usually go to the one near Westheimer & Dunvale, across from the Wal-Mart....that's where we'll be going from now on. Or Gessner & Westpark, that is a block or two from us.

Originally Posted By: Solo2driver

Westheimer & Fountain View, west of the Galleria (across from my wife's school, Memorial Lutheran).

We live further west and usually go to the one near Westheimer & Dunvale, across from the Wal-Mart....that's where we'll be going from now on. Or Gessner & Westpark, that is a block or two from us.

I live out in Katy. I have yet to go to a Subway in Katy or Houston. With so many other options, I avoid chains. I'd rather drive 20 minutes to Phonecia Deli than go down Fry Rd. to Subway.

That said, in Baton Rouge (still here working for a week....), the lady at the Subway on LSU's campus knows me and hooks me up every time. I ordered a $5 Tuna one day... it was VERY heavy. When I was on the road last week, I was just eating Subway.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
I avoid subway at all costs.

What would be your alternative if you were traveling?

If there is a subway, there is something else.

eh, but it's fairly cheap and probably better than the regular fast-food...at least you get to SEE it made than question it later while staring at the inside of a restroom stall door :)

Subway is like a lot of chains. There are good stores and bad ones. The subway near my house sucks, stingy. But the one up from my office is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back