Daughter's trip to JiffyLube

Daughter lives too far away for me to actually help with an oil change. She brings her Kia Telluride into JiffyLube and they say they don't stock the needed oil filter. Suggests she pick one up and come back. Now how "Jiffy" is that?

So of course she asks me to order her one on Amazon. (She is 42 with kids and a husband who could change her oil).

She goes back into JiffyLube a few days later. The Pennzoil synthetic is $101.99. Gave her a discount for bringing in the filter. But that oil is roughly $30 at Walmart for a 5 QT jug.

So I guess my pickup needing 14 QT would be $300?

Gone are the days of a $20 to $30 oil change.

A son is a son until he takes a wife. A daughter is a daughter for life.

I have a widowed Aunt that I do oil changes for. She live about 1 1/2 hrs away and we meet regularly for lunch. When she needs an oil change she brings coney dogs which are the universal currency of getting things done around here.
And oh BTW, they are koegels dogs, dont dare show up with anything less :cool:

You're forgetting one thing. Jiffy Lube's main business is doing oil changes so it charges what it costs them in labor, materials and overhead. A dealer or repair shop charges $29.99 which is their cost, or less, just so they can find other work that your car needs and are hoping you will have them do it while it's there.

As a data point, the Volvo Dealer in Salt Lake City charges my daughter about $100 for a synthetic oil change with genuine Volvo filter. Volvo dealers are not known for their low costs. I would suggest dealer next time for your daughter. Or a good independent that will take your Walmart oil and not charge too much. Al’s Volvo Service in Salt Lake, for example…

An 8 quart oil change and a tire rotation is $99 at our Chevy dealer. Those Suburban tires are heavy!

I usually have my wife go there instead of doing it myself. The materials would cost me $40-$50 and I don’t have to rotate the tires.

You're forgetting one thing. Jiffy Lube's main business is doing oil changes so it charges what it costs them in labor, materials and overhead. A dealer or repair shop charges $29.99 which is their cost, or less, just so they can find other work that your car needs and are hoping you will have them do it while it's there.

No difference from the dealer.
They have all kinds of filters to sell, A/F, CAF, etc.
Don't forget the transmission "Flush" or the radiator "Flush", generally recommended whether it is needed or not.
Of course, you always can use a tire rotation, or a PCV valve.
I could go on and on, but the point is clear.
Both are equally competent at doing a "Wallet flush."

I send my kids who don’t/won’t do their own to Valvoline. Here at least they do a good job and they send me some pretty good coupons on a regular basis. I’ve gotten 50% off twice now.
Based upon my experience, Valvoline Instant Oil Change (VIOC) service centers have better trained staff and higher performance quality standards than JiffyLube franchises. They also have less pressure up-selling recommendations like cabin air filters and fluid flushes than JL. I'd suggest sending her the VIOC link to their monthly coupons which typically range from $7 off up to 50% off oil changes.

VIOC Locations and Coupons

I had one really bad experience with Valvoline a year or so ago. I knew better than to take it there but was cut for time. They stripped the drain bolt and tried to blame it on Subaru. Because they couldn't remove it, they tried to extract the fluid through the dipstick hole. Ended up overfilling the engine and they put the oil filter on much too tight.

For $100.00 you could buy 20qts of Mobil 1 via Walmart or order HPL/Amsoil. Of course your time is valuable too but if you DIY you can certainly save a lot.

Back