Do You Round Up At The Restaurant

What's up with all these restaurants asking you if you want to Roundup to the nearest dollar . And this ordering at the drive - thru . A chicken sandwich is almost $6 at Burger King and goes up 30 cents each visit and you want me to donate money . I'll think about when you start lowering the price BK

Last edited:
Burger King is a restaurant?

I don’t do the accounting at home, but if I did, I might round up just to save on bank statement reconciliation time—or to avoid change if I was paying in cash.

In a real restaurant, I usually round up and leave an oddball sized tip. I’m not sure how it’s handled, tips that is, so maybe that’s a bad idea?

What's up with all these restaurants asking you if you want to Roundup to the nearest dollar . A chicken sandwich is almost $6 at Burger King and goes up 30 cents each visit and you want me to donate money . I'll think about when you start lowering the price BK
With a Whopper and fries being $12 at PHL, and the same $17 at SFO, I’ll round down to the nearest $5…

I don't round up because I prefer to donate to charities of my choosing which are St. Judes Childrens Hospital and T2T.
I also don't like when they give "suggested tip" on the bottom of the restaurant bill which shows 20%, 25% and 30%. (I have no issue with realistic "suggested tip" of 18%, 20% and 22% or even 20%, 22% and 25% but 30% is a bit cheeky IMO especially for a guy/gal who pours me a few beers. My standard tip is 20% but I'll go higher if the server actually works a little bringing bread, extra sauce etc....if they are pleasant. I also go higher when Happy Hour prices make the bill a bargain.

PS: I've been in Florida since January 1st and I definitely see higher food/drink prices and smaller crowds at restaurants. It's not about 'shinkflation' as much as 'inflation' IMO.

Corporations have gone full throttle with tipping. Now, they ask everywhere if you want to tip, donate, or both. And when you donate, they take a sizeable chunk of that donation for acting as an intermediary and funneling the money to whatever organization it's destined for. If you really want to donate to your favorite charity, do it directly.

Tipping and the entire tipping culture are just so wrong. When Fortune 500 companies tap into your guilt and sense of obligation to extract extra money from you, it's clear the world has completely lost its way, along with any sense of decency and humanity. I mean, I'm already paying too much for coffee-flavored cheap milk and a boatload of sugar, food coloring, and artificial flavors. So, leave me alone.

Full disclosure: I don't tip, donate, or go to Starbucks. I know how to make delicious coffee at home. And good food, for that matter. Oh, and since they started adding "gratuity" as a percentage to your bill, I've stopped eating out. Why not call it what it is: paying the staff's salary so the establishment can keep all the profits.

I tip well when I get table service at a sit down restaurant but I'm not giving a big fast food chain any kind of extra money! If they want to donate to charity with their profits that's on them, and I'll donate directly to my own favorite charities on my own too.

You want a tip?

"Get a hair cut"
Tips are so subjective and a source of problems. How about that woman who got a $10,000 tip, was told to share with the staff, she did, and she was subsequently fired.

Sounds a bit shady. Like the trooper who pulls over a car, illegal tints, suspended registration, belligerent driver. DA dismisses all charges and trooper is taken off the road pending investigation.

Our current society is so wacky!

I never round up for any of those charities. If you look into them, some of them are okay, but most of them have massive overhead and very little in the way of actually charitable contributions. One of them had 85% overhead (only 15 cents of every $1.00 donated went to the cause) with 8 executives making 6 figures a year. I'm not donating a penny to organizations like that.

Another thing is places are asking for tips everywhere now. Why am I going to tip you when all you did was spin the screen around to me?

I tip well when I get table service at a sit down restaurant but I'm not giving a big fast food chain any kind of extra money!
A small business, family owned restaurant, that type of establishment, sure, they deserve it. Applebee's & gang, where I'm being served microwaved food straight form Sysco, not so much. Oh, the amount of salt they add to everything is just ridiculous.

A small business, family owned restaurant, that type of establishment, sure, they deserve it. Applebee's & gang, where I'm being served microwaved food straight form Sysco, not so much. Oh, the amount of salt they add to everything is just ridiculous.

Absolutely about the small family owned businesses! I want to see them flourish! :)

Full disclosure: I don't tip, donate, or go to Starbucks. I know how to make delicious coffee at home. And good food, for that matter. Oh, and since they started adding "gratuity" as a percentage to your bill, I've stopped eating out. Why not call it what it is: paying the staff's salary so the establishment can keep all the profits.

I can't stand Starbucks, but my 13 year old daughter thinks they're all the rage. I went by there with her on the way into town one day last month because she wanted to try a latte a friend told her about. A tall iced latte, not a grande, not a venti, the oxymoronic small tall size... $8.75! :oops::mad: Then the screen asked if I wanted to leave a tip. lol Pouring salt on the wound, she didn't like it. She took 2 sips of it and didn't touch it again. That's still not the worst part though. She gave it to another friend in her co-op who liked it and drank about half of it before suddenly feeling very nauseous, short of air, and face started swelling. It turns out this girl has an almond allergy and the latte was made with almond milk.

Back