Thick or thin crust pizza?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
What is everyone's favorite chain pizza? Pizza Hut used to make The Big New Yorker that was wonderful. Little Caesar's changed their formula and it's not as good as it used to be. Little Caesar's went downhill when they stopped putting the two pizzas side by side wrapped in their old signature white paper wrapping. Pizza Hut is a hit or miss nowadays and varies from location to location. I haven't had Domino's is years. My Gatti's is still one of my favorites. Mr Gatti's back in the late 70s-early 80s made an incredible "deep dish" pizza. Thick chewy gooey well seasoned crust topped with literally a two inch layer of their once famous seasoned provolone (lots of oregano and parsley) with crunchy edges. They have since changed their formula too.

My daughter and I both like Domino's, but my wife hates it.
When we are in a hurry, stopping at Little Caesar's to pick up cheese, sausage, or pepperoni pizzas that are sitting there ready to go for $5 each can be really handy...they are far from great, but all three of us will eat them. This always came in handy when we'd be surprised to find out we were hosting a softball team for lunch or dinner without any advanced notice!

I used to drive a van all over NYC for many years. It irked me that I saw "Original Ray's" all over the city, including Queens.
I found the real one on Sixth Ave and 11th street. I've been out of that job since 2003, so while I still go to Manhattan every day, I'm up on 58th street. I think That real Ray's is closed.
In all of the years I was trucking around NYC, I found a great pizza place I'd hit as often as possible. I was repairing generators at Sloan Kettering and followed the stream of doctors and nurses to Pizza Park on 1st and 66th. Whole wheat crust pizza with any toppings imaginable. I still swing by on the rare occasion I'm over there.
This is very difficult to believe but I work in He!!'s Kitchen, W 58th street between 8th and 9th. All of the pizza located around my building is mediocre. If I really want pizza for lunch, my best bet is Whole Foods. Theirs is the best in the area. Sad.
Good thing I have my place on Long Island.
Not a fan of any of the chains. One night, a couple of years ago, my son and I tried that Little Caesar's bacon wrapped crust pizza. The first slice was tasty but the novelty quickly wore off. Never went back for another one.

Last edited:
Thin

I had a great folded over Turkish pizza the other day. It was spinach and feta in a light and tasty home made bread.

This example is thick all around. There's a place called Tony's in Edmonton that has a double layer pizza, with three layers of crust and two of toppings, as I recall. You have two slices, and you're done.
wink.gif

Oh,and I HATE pizza joints that put the pepperonis under the cheese because it makes them soggy. I like the pepperonis on top,and to be crispy like bacon.

I like it both, actually I prefer it to be halfway between thick and thin.

I had Uno's in Chicago, it was so thick it was like eating lasagna. Might have been thicker. Not really into that kind of pizza but it was alright.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Oh,and I HATE pizza joints that put the pepperonis under the cheese because it makes them soggy. I like the pepperonis on top,and to be crispy like bacon.

You nailed that. I kinda liked pepperoni pizza all my life but not always. It almost always has way too much pepperoni on it. Recently, a friend who's a chef told me to cut the pepperoni into small pieces and not put too much on the pizza. since the pieces were smaller, they cooked more thoroughly. Made the pizza MUCH better.

On NY Pizza.

Haven't had a good 1.00 slice in NY for 20 years - ratio doest work anymore.
Rule of thumb is that a good slice of NY sale pizza should cost or be roughly indexed to what a subway ride cost. Now stands at 2.75 I believe.
The least expensive workday in NY city is roughly computed at 4X subway ride this gets you there- back- lunch and a drink with maybe enough for a snack.
If one guy can eat a whole large himself the joint isn't giving you what you paid for.

On Chicago Style Pizza - It should take at least 3-4 guys to finish a large

Detroit style is also pretty tasty and cooked in a square pan and the pieces you want are the corners - almost like a brownie.

UD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back