Thick or thin crust pizza?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
NY style only. the rest should not even be called pizza

Amen. Chicago style deep dish is one of the most overrated styles ever. I've eaten pizza in Italy, and while good, I'll take a NY pizza all day, any day.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Thin. I like Grimaldis.

Grimaldi's is our favorite also.
2nd favorite is Rosati's thin crust.

Wife also likes Tasty Pizza in Columbia Heights, MN, and always gets it
when visiting family and friends in the Twin Cities.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigt61

Amen. Chicago style deep dish is one of the most overrated styles ever. I've eaten pizza in Italy, and while good, I'll take a NY pizza all day, any day.

People from Chicago know that Chicago style is stuffed, not deep dish.
Pizza in Italy is like pizza everywhere, it can be outstanding or disappointing depending upon where you go. I've had tavola calda pizza that would have been at home in a Pizza Hut, and once heard the Italian CEO of a huge multinational electronics company say that delivery pizza from a local joint near Detroit was some of the best pizza he'd ever had.

Bottom line: I like pizza. Cracker thin crust is bottom of the pile, but I'd still eat it. I prefer a deep dish to a thinner crust. Best pizza ever was in Chicago. Best pizza outside of Chicago is here in Detroit. I don't understand the rabid fervor and support of New York pizza.

Thin crust is a lie. Thick Crust is how it was intended. Eat properly.
lol.gif

I like both. We make pizza every Friday at home with a 'medium' crust, about 1/2 inch thick, crispy on the bottom. That's my favorite.

Now I'm hungry.

Most Chicago-style pies I've had I would equate to pizza casseroles vs. regular pizza...so on that count it would have to be thin.

No-crust for me. My body doesn't digest processed grains properly so I just avoid it all together.

Interestingly enough, while visiting Italy and Germany fall 2016 I had absolutely no problem with pasta and grains.
I blame genetically modified, chemically processed Monsanto garbage for my health "issues" with grains.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I prefer a pan-type pizza. I think it would be considered a thick crust, but not a deep dish. Thick crust and deep aren't the same to me. I am not a fan of super thin, cracker-like crusts. A thinner, chewy NY-style crust would be my runner up.

Around here we have some pan type pizza places. They're usually considered greek pizza. Not a super thick crust like Uno's, but still thicker than thin crust. Typically pretty cheesy too. Never really encountered a chain that had that style.

Places around here that claim they're NY pizza aren't that close at all. Pretty much most places in NY have good pizza, I've even tried the $1 slices and those are pretty good too considering what you're paying for it. They sell so much that the times I've gotten it, the pizza had just come out of the oven so it was hot and fresh.

New York style ONLY. Thin crust that you fold over when you pick up a slice and stuff it in your mouth. The sauce is sweet and there is very little of it. There is literally a ton of cheese that's going everywhere. I'll eat a whole extra large one all to myself haha.

Brooklyn's Best in Arlington,Tx is my favorite.

What is everyone's favorite chain pizza? Pizza Hut used to make The Big New Yorker that was wonderful. Little Caesar's changed their formula and it's not as good as it used to be. Little Caesar's went downhill when they stopped putting the two pizzas side by side wrapped in their old signature white paper wrapping. Pizza Hut is a hit or miss nowadays and varies from location to location. I haven't had Domino's is years. My Gatti's is still one of my favorites. Mr Gatti's back in the late 70s-early 80s made an incredible "deep dish" pizza. Thick chewy gooey well seasoned crust topped with literally a two inch layer of their once famous seasoned provolone (lots of oregano and parsley) with crunchy edges. They have since changed their formula too.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I prefer a pan-type pizza. I think it would be considered a thick crust, but not a deep dish. Thick crust and deep aren't the same to me. I am not a fan of super thin, cracker-like crusts. A thinner, chewy NY-style crust would be my runner up.

Around here we have some pan type pizza places. They're usually considered greek pizza. Not a super thick crust like Uno's, but still thicker than thin crust. Typically pretty cheesy too. Never really encountered a chain that had that style.

Places around here that claim they're NY pizza aren't that close at all. Pretty much most places in NY have good pizza, I've even tried the $1 slices and those are pretty good too considering what you're paying for it. They sell so much that the times I've gotten it, the pizza had just come out of the oven so it was hot and fresh.

I don't know where in MA you are located but we have several places here in western MA that are Greek pizza and really do make a good pie! It's that medium crust and seem to have unique sauce it's good stuff. And yes I agree you have to go to NY to get a good NY slice! As far as chain store pizza I think they all pretty much stink. Although I sometimes crave a Papa Gino's cheese pie I don't care for there toppings but like there cheese.

Life long New Yorker here... Thin all the way.
Place opened up on Long Island about ten years ago, paper thin, Neapolitan style pizza. No slices. Sit down and have a pie and a salad.
Been my favorite place for a long time now.

Originally Posted By: bigt61

Hallelujah!
100%

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Chicago is Obese Crust.
lol.gif

It's the 3" of cheese that makes you obese, not the crust!
;^)

To all the New Yorkers on here...which one is the real Ray's Pizza???
The first time we stayed near Times Square, there was a Ray's across the street and we tried it since I had heard the name before.
Then there was the throwaway line about Ray's by Ed Asner in "Elf" and I learned about the whole Ray's controversy...so, which one is it??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back