How do you handle raw pizza?

So tonight I got one of those pizzas that you take home and bake yourself; Papa Murphy's to be exact. Somehow the pizza starts out on a giant paper plate. They put it together similar to how a sandwich shop would make a sandwich by having a buffet of pizza toppings in front of them. So when I get it home and it comes time to transfer the pizza onto a pizza pan, that's when the nightmare begins. The pizza is not supported by anything other than the paper plate. The pizza crust in its raw state is extremely gooey like cookie dough or a pancake that's not ready to be turned over. If I try to slide a steel spatula under the gooey pizza dough, the spatula wants to stick to the dough like glue.

Long story short, the pizza really didn't look like a pizza anymore by time it got to the pizza pan. What is the secret here?

Please explain how you guys do it.

Are you saying the unbaked pizza doesn't come on a piece of parchment to slide it onto your cookie sheet or pizza stone? Maybe their pizza can be baked on their paper plate? Call and ask them.

Are you saying the unbaked pizza doesn't come on a piece of parchment to slide it onto your cookie sheet or pizza stone? Maybe their pizza can be baked on their paper plate? Call and ask them.
It comes directly on a paper plate and that's it. Parchment? I've heard that word before but never bothered to look it up. I'll look it up right now.

parch-ment
"a stiff, flat, thin material made from the prepared skin of an animal and used as a durable writing surface in ancient times."

Seriously? 😲😱

Last edited:
It comes directly on a paper plate and that's it. Parchment? I've heard that word before but never bothered to look it up. I'll look it up right now.

parch-ment
"a stiff, flat, thin material made from the prepared skin of an animal and used as a durable writing surface in ancient times."

Seriously? 😲😱
Parchment Paper.

Think wax paper minus the wax. Used for baking things on.

Can't you just set it on the pan while it's still on the paper plate and then slide the paper plate out from under it?

Wrong parchment. Not vellum but baking paper/parchment or a teflon or a silicone sheet. Stuff's been around for decades. Now I know why you get a takeaway pizza. ;)

When I make my own pizza, I roll out the dough on a piece of parchment. I throw the toppings on, grab the parchment, and drag the parchment with the pizza onto my baking stone.

Some baking parchments are reusable a few times, and some or one-time use.

Reusable for years

Last edited:
Can't you just set it on the pan while it's still on the paper plate and then slide the paper plate out from under it?
That pizza don't slide for nothing. It's like trying to get skinned over gravy to slide.

That pizza don't slide for nothing. It's like trying to get skinned over gravy to slide.
Since someone here who's had Papa Murphy's pizza knows it's supposed to get baked on its paper tray/plate, I presume by the time it's baked the pizza won't be stuck to the plate. The plate features most likely a silicone release agent.

I've always baked Papa Murphy's pizza on the paper plate it comes on. That's what the baking instructions tell you to do.
OK, you made me go back into the kitchen to retrieve the instructions. This is what it says:

Original or Thin
1. Bake at 425* for 12-18 minutes
- Remove plastic wrap and leave on pizza tray
- Bake Thin on lower oven rack
- Bake Original on center rack

2. Remove when golden brown
- Let pizza sit for 5 minutes before cutting.

All I did was read the temperature and the cooking time. 😁

i am picturing the souring mood and regrets as the pizza turns more and more into a misshapen mess.

The plate is the pizza pan, just slice it in the oven at least until you can slide it onto your oven rack to make it crispier is you prefer it that way.
Used to go a lot but like but it has been not good since the pandemic started.

Recognizing one doesn't know every last **** thing in the world and reading the complete instructions on everything new. A superpower most men aren't man enough to possess.

Back