Get one now, about 70K +

Electric car savings are going to be ephemeral. #1. Green energy is going to raise your cost for electricity. #2. Government is going to figure a way to tax you (Either a tax on electricity or a higher tax to register your car.

If charging stations become as common as gas stations, and charging times can get down to 20 minutes or less, it will make the decision easy. I am not going to wait an hour to charge my car when I am used to being able to refill 20 gallons of gas in less than 10 minutes. I rarely ever have to wait for an empty pump. 99.9% of the time you pull in, fill up, and leave. As EVs become more prevalent, you could have a situation where you pull in, wait for an available charger, then wait another hour to fully charge (unless you just need enough charge to get home, then maybe 20 minutes to get enough range.) If it is your turn to bring home dinner, or pick up the kids from school, your family will hate you that day :D
Thing is, if you can plug in every night, then there should not be a reason to need a charger while out and about doing daily things.

I would not buy nor recommend an EV if it didn't have enough range for the typical commute on a winter's cold day. Nor would if I couldn't plug in at home.

Yeah, no question about that. Here in Ohio, they already have an additional fee for driving a hybrid or EV for vehicle registration. $100 for a hybrid, $200 for EV.

I'm sure that's just the start as more and more people begin to drive hybrids/EV and they make less tax money off fuel. It's not unfair, though. Hybrids/EV's use the same roads as those paying those additional fuel taxes for road upkeep and all that.

If charging stations become as common as gas stations, and charging times can get down to 20 minutes or less, it will make the decision easy. I am not going to wait an hour to charge my car when I am used to being able to refill 20 gallons of gas in less than 10 minutes. I rarely ever have to wait for an empty pump. 99.9% of the time you pull in, fill up, and leave. As EVs become more prevalent, you could have a situation where you pull in, wait for an available charger, then wait another hour to fully charge (unless you just need enough charge to get home, then maybe 20 minutes to get enough range.) If it is your turn to bring home dinner, or pick up the kids from school, your family will hate you that day :D
There can already be wait times for chargers. Your Tesla phone app and car display tell you the number of chargers, number open and number out of order within a given area.

Charging at home is key; I would not own an EV is I could not charge at home. Additionally, many people charge at work for a subsidized rate or even free. I understand this is much more common in the Silicon Valley bubble I live in, but I believe this will only expand.
The idea of long charging times at Superchargers is a general misunderstanding of EV ownership. Yes, some people only charge at chargers, but those are very few.
If you drive longer distances in a day, it can certainly be an issue as compared to a gas station fillup. Depending on distance and other variables.
The Tesla general charging plan is not to fill up; rather you charge to destination and then charge when not in use.
I was maybe 40 miles round trip from work. I could easily drive much more than that on a daily basis and never go to a charging station. Try driving to work every day and never going to a gas station. And some of the EV owners told me they never charge at home; they only used work chargers.

It just depends on your given situation.

Electric car savings are going to be ephemeral. #1. Green energy is going to raise your cost for electricity. #2. Government is going to figure a way to tax you (Either a tax on electricity or a higher tax to register your car.
That depends. I installed solar panels, not for an EV, but for the ever rising cost of electricity. The Tesla was icing on the cake.

There can already be wait times for chargers. Your Tesla phone app and car display tell you the number of chargers, number open and number out of order within a given area.

Charging at home is key; I would not own an EV is I could not charge at home. Additionally, many people charge at work for a subsidized rate or even free. I understand this is much more common in the Silicon Valley bubble I live in, but I believe this will only expand.
The idea of long charging times at Superchargers is a general misunderstanding of EV ownership. Yes, some people only charge at chargers, but those are very few.
If you drive longer distances in a day, it can certainly be an issue as compared to a gas station fillup. Depending on distance and other variables.
The Tesla general charging plan is not to fill up; rather you charge to destination and then charge when not in use.
I was maybe 40 miles round trip from work. I could easily drive much more than that on a daily basis and never go to a charging station. Try driving to work every day and never going to a gas station. And some of the EV owners told me they never charge at home; they only used work chargers.

There are a group of Tesla chargers quartzite Az. Some people are driving them pretty far.

This all goes back to my original comment that the range anxiety and ease and speed of charging need to be resolved before there will be wide acceptance of EVs for the masses. Yes, they work now for people using them to go back and forth to work for 30-40 miles per day. Charge to destination is fine, as long as the destination has a charger of some sort. If you are wanting to take some sort of weekend trip to the mountains or beach that doesn't have a charger, you could get stuck.

We had a charger at work a few years ago that was installed for one of the C-level employees to use for his Model S. It frustrated him because it was only giving him 8 miles of range when plugged in for 8 hours during the day (and he lived 20 miles from work.) The electrical system in the building was so old it couldn't charge the car efficiently. He eventually stopped using it, and then eventually left the company. The charger then just sat there unused since none of the other employees had a Tesla.

Back