can u get a reliable used car for under $3k anymore?

This isn’t 2007 anymore. $10,000 seems to be the going rate for a used car these days that should be “reliable”. That should get you something with 125k miles in decent shape with life left in it, excluding Toyotas or Hondas, where some sellers still haven’t put down their pipes yet.

A $3,000 reliable car, outside of some fluke exceptional deal, where grandma down the road is selling her rust free 60,000 mile 15 year old Buick and thinks a dollar is worth the same as it was 20 yrs ago is just not gonna happen.

In 2007, I bought a 6 year old Saturn with 88,000 miles for $3,200 cash. I remember looking in the newspaper classifieds. There were tons of lightly used cars for $3,000-$5,000 back then. Inflation since 2007 to today is something like 47%.

Just for fun I looked up recently a 2001 Saturn with high miles. Some were going for more than I bought a used one for in 2007 with double the mileage. And the cars were 16 yrs older.

It’s rough out there. This is why many are keeping their vehicles longer than ever. It’s that word we all love, inflation.

Last edited:
How i get reliable $3000 cars is i buy a $400 car that should be in the scrap yard and then put like $2000 of parts into it. Spend the last $600 on insurance and there's your $3000 car. If you can't do the work yourself, then you'll just have to hang around the retirement community until you find that low miles pacifica (the old people here drive minivans, 90s toyotas, and buicks)

How i get reliable $3000 cars is i buy a $400 car that should be in the scrap yard and then put like $2000 of parts into it. Spend the last $600 on insurance and there's your $3000 car. If you can't do the work yourself, then you'll just have to hang around the retirement community until you find that low miles pacifica (the old people here drive minivans, 90s toyotas, and buicks)
Where do you find a $400 car when scrap value now is closer to a grand?

Where is scrap value a grand? I called every yard within 40 minutes and the most they offered was $450 if I brought it to them. This was for a 2005 Saturn but they offered about the same for a Volvo v70 wagon. And I find the $400 cars because people don't think the car is worth fixing and doesn't run (or runs poorly) and so they plan to scrap it. So I offer them $400 and if it's not fixable I call the scrapper and get rid of it. Most cars just need some TLC, fresh gas, and whatever sensor is causing the issue replaced. The people scrapping these cars generally buy them for less than 5 grand and can't fix them.

car_prices_01.jpg

Bargain overlapping with quality and ease for repairs = Buick Lucerne..the 3800 engine.

unless you are lucky, you won't get as low as $3000 but Lucerne offers the best bang for the buck

I don-t see any around me anymore. Just as Doordash drivers snatch up all the affordable Priuses, I presume those-in-the-know tell their circle to get a 3800.

If the ol' 3800 is as good as everyone says it is, then this seems like a good deal. Hopefully the rest of this GM product can stay together for as long as the 3800 lives.
Screenshot (55).jpg

I just checked my NH CL with a filter of min price $10 and max $800. 112 returns, 9 of which were beaters, 1 was an ad for a restoration shop, the rest were listing monthly (or weekly?) payment (and one was the price minus the "k"). I don't do FB so no idea what is there--but I'd lay money that 95% of anything below $1k will mention rust in the ad (in a negative manner). I do see some stuff below $3k (and on dealer lots no less) but they all seem a gamble, more than likely 200k on the clock. If you do your own work and source parts, there might be some good deals, but...

While I understand the premise that if you keep costs low, buying a car and crushing after a year or two can be lucrative. My problem is that I prefer to run with "good" tires and now I'm starting to put a bit money into something that I don't know how long it will last? doesn't make sense to my little mind. Plus I'm not always able to work on my own cars.

With winter starting to break I'm starting to search for my next car. Not crazy about flying but if I could find a good deal in a southern state it's probably worth it. But I have yet to buy a car sight unseen, seems too easy to be taken.

I just checked my NH CL with a filter of min price $10 and max $800. 112 returns, 9 of which were beaters, 1 was an ad for a restoration shop, the rest were listing monthly (or weekly?) payment (and one was the price minus the "k"). I don't do FB so no idea what is there--but I'd lay money that 95% of anything below $1k will mention rust in the ad (in a negative manner). I do see some stuff below $3k (and on dealer lots no less) but they all seem a gamble, more than likely 200k on the clock. If you do your own work and source parts, there might be some good deals, but...

While I understand the premise that if you keep costs low, buying a car and crushing after a year or two can be lucrative. My problem is that I prefer to run with "good" tires and now I'm starting to put a bit money into something that I don't know how long it will last? doesn't make sense to my little mind. Plus I'm not always able to work on my own cars.

With winter starting to break I'm starting to search for my next car. Not crazy about flying but if I could find a good deal in a southern state it's probably worth it. But I have yet to buy a car sight unseen, seems too easy to be taken.
I looked when I posted that, and there were two here under $1K -a dodge with no title (no idea how that works) and a Saturn with rusted exhaust and a check engine light, but it runs.

If your planning to buy southern definitely have a local check it out first - because I would say half of the used cars here originate up North, because used cars in general cost more here, and Southern cars are Shipped North and sold as Rust free southern cars. Might be different out West - were likely too close to the Northeast making the shipping affordable.

Have heard of that.

I have half a mind to look far an exact replacement of my lost car: a 99 Camry. No title needed. :). I did spot a couple but PA and VA not far enough south I think.

Have heard of that.

I have half a mind to look far an exact replacement of my lost car: a 99 Camry. No title needed. :). I did spot a couple but PA and VA not far enough south I think.
VA uses salt in some places, but there winters are pretty short. Same for parts of NC.

You might want to reach out to member @macarose. He sells nice, older cars and is based in the Atlanta area - or did?

VA uses salt in some places, but there winters are pretty short. Same for parts of NC.

You might want to reach out to member @macarose. He sells nice, older cars and is based in the Atlanta area - or did?
He has reached out in the past, but iirc he specializes in cars like $15k and up. I’m unwilling to liquidate that much cash at this time.

Now he does some low cost flipping on the side, that might be worth flying down for. I just have to wait for a better season, as I don’t think his cars typically have snow tires on them. ;)

I'm doing great. Thanks for asking! But for $3000 during tax season in 'potentially' good condition he would need to buy a vehicle that requires substantial repairs or a total loss vehicle.

If you type Steven Lang on Atlanta's Craigslist you should see everything I have available.

I'm doing great. Thanks for asking! But for $3000 during tax season in 'potentially' good condition he would need to buy a vehicle that requires substantial repairs or a total loss vehicle.

If you type Steven Lang on Atlanta's Craigslist you should see everything I have available.
How long does tax season last in terms of used car sales? Does it end shortly after April 15?

I'm still around but for $3000 during tax season in good condition he would need to buy a total loss vehicle.

How long does tax season last in terms of used car sales? Does it end shortly after April 15?
No. It typically ends after the first to third week of June depending on how delayed the IRS is with tax refund checks.

Thanks for responding - that's very interesting. So is the tax season boost a 5% pricing event or a 25% pricing event - in very generalized and rounded terms? Does it affect the whole market or just budget stuff?

Back