Which one to keep?

If the Maverick has been trouble-free, it would be the one I kept. Newer & safer.

I have a difficult time believing that the new Maverick has more squeaks and rattles than the Jimmy. That era Blazer/Jimmy and the one that preceded it had a lot of squeaks and rattles even when new.

The lowest trim level of a cheap Ford car VS almost 30 YO GM dinosaur SUV. Nice they're paid for but doesnt mean much really. When you say get rid of one do you mean replace or own only one vehicle? You didn't state the use or your needs. This seems like an attempt to start a typical BITOG old VS new debate.

If your commute resembles the Dakar rally, keep the Blazer. Otherwise, the Ford.

The lowest trim level of a cheap Ford car VS almost 30 YO GM dinosaur SUV. Nice they're paid for but doesnt mean much really. When you say get rid of one do you mean replace or own only one vehicle? You didn't state the use or your needs. This seems like an attempt to start a typical BITOG old VS new debate.
I’m trying to “downsize” to one or two vehicles (besides these two mentioned in this thread I do also have 06 Silverado).

The vehicle I’d keep would have to do commuter duties (33mile round trip daily) haul stuff needed around the house (groceries, firewood, some construction materials for projects etc.) and be reliable.

As of last summer I have been daily driving the Maverick and it can do all these things listed above just fine, it’s just the amount of recalls/warranty work it’s already been through that surprises me. (exhaust heat exchanger on warranty, engine bay fire risk recall, PCM software recall, Airbag recall)

Jimmy on the other hand needed only the typical GM LIM gasket replacement and regular maintenance so far.

When it comes to fuel use the Maverick is a winner in the summer but in the winter both are surprisingly close!

hey, I'll trade ya my '13 Cmax Hybrid for the Mav.... just hit 97k mi the other day... put a new set of Michelin CC2's on it this spring/summer...

Ask away!

How many miles year do you drive?
What type of hauling do you do with the truck?
What are the conditions of the area that you park?

I'd try to narrow down on the purpose for the vehicle. If you do few miles, and haul hard materials, I'd say consider keeping the beater. If you are driving high miles and the Maverick meets your needs, go that direction.

I have to dispute this, I'm surprised we got 10 responses in before Toyota was mentioned. Toyota is always the BITOG answer.
Unless it's a 3/4 ton and bigger, pretty much. Although, we like the CR-V a lot more than a Rav4.

Up front disclaimer: I'm guilty of not considering this point a lot of the time.

The improvements in safety features in modern vehicles from 1996 to now are not to be dismissed lightly.
Now before someone starts complaining about how much they hate lane keep assist, drowsy driver alert or such, I am not referencing those items.
I'm talking about the vehicle crumple zone architecture, air bags, ABS, and emergency stop features. I'll take a much newer car over a much older car as a daily driver, just for safety reasons alone.

[QUOTE="I /sniff

No, peasant.
[/QUOTE]
As it says right below that I'm my sig....i'm lazy..
Also... I had a couple incidents where I overshot my ramps in my old car... I just gave up and take it to Walmart anymore...
And this one is possibly too low for ramps anyway..idk.
Never been under it..☹️

How many miles year do you drive?
What type of hauling do you do with the truck?
What are the conditions of the area that you park?

I'd try to narrow down on the purpose for the vehicle. If you do few miles, and haul hard materials, I'd say consider keeping the beater. If you are driving high miles and the Maverick meets your needs, go that direction.
I drive about 12k miles per year, the vehicle runs empty most of the time, sometimes I have some building materials for home improvement, other times it’s either firewood, rocks, soil, empty skids, car parts - nothing too crazy and within payload capacity of the Maverick (I do also have 8’ box Silverado for bigger stuff)

Street parking in my neighborhood is pretty congested but doable (I do have a small garage which is packed to the gills right now both with stuff and two vehicles I do not drive daily - this is one of the reasons why I want to get rid of a vehicle or two)

Back