Stellantis Propulsion Engineer Interview About Their New Hurricane Engine

Yeah I made a post about it a while ago. They're basically the same aside from the fuel injection pump, water inlet pump and maybe a lower comp piston and a slightly higher redline. The table is posted in mine. But all the parts that the oil would care about are gonna be the same. I don't see why they need to have different clearances.

Nothing that is unknown. He personally would use 0W40 in "low output" engine, but CAFE.
It's been my observation, and maybe I'm wrong, that in most engines you get the better fuel economy with say 0W-20 only up until the oil and engine come up to operating temperature. At operating temperature there isn't much fuel economy to be had versus 0W-40, unless we're talking about very light throttle application in a controlled testing environment. However, out there on the open road, while under load, pulling a trailer, the 0W-40 will undoubtedly provide better wear protection and more margin for fuel dilution than your garden variety 0W-20.

I watched the entire video, start to finish. The Hurricane inline six has Euro-Engineering vibes. Alan Falkowski made some generalized statements about how good thin oils have become, describing oil manufacturers almost like miracle workers. He also made the case that people should use the Start/Stop technology that comes with the Hurricane Engine. I don't like it when people, especially engineers, make generalized statements without backing those statements with data.

For anyone who doesn't want to spend time watching the entire video, I broke it down by topics with time stamps:
  • Introduction to the interview with Alan Falkowski on the development of the Hurricane engine, its features, and its use in upcoming vehicles like the 2025 Ram 1500 and Dodge Charger. Alan shares insights on the transition from the Hemi engine to the Hurricane engine, emphasizing the importance of meeting modern performance and regulatory requirements. (Start of video)
  • Discussion on engine design and decision-making around the inline-six configuration for the Hurricane engine. Alan explains the balance between power, fuel efficiency, and smooth operation, highlighting the benefits of turbocharging and the engine's fit in various vehicles. (Timestamp: 03:45)
  • Insights into the development process and challenges faced in creating the Hurricane engine. Alan touches on the evolution of engine design tools, the reduction in prototyping, and the shift towards more efficient manufacturing processes. (Timestamp: 08:20)
  • Deep dive into engine durability and reliability, addressing common concerns about turbocharged engines. Alan explains how modern design and testing methodologies ensure the Hurricane engine's reliability, even under extreme conditions. (Timestamp: 12:30)
  • Cooling systems and oil management for the Hurricane engine. The conversation covers the engine's cooling strategies, the importance of using the right oil, and the extended oil change intervals made possible by advancements in oil technology. (Timestamp: 18:55)
  • The role of oil in engine performance and longevity, with a focus on the latest oil standards and recommendations for the Hurricane engine. Alan dispels myths about oil change frequencies and emphasizes the benefits of modern synthetic oils. (Timestamp: 24:10)
  • Discussion on the absence of a traditional dipstick in favor of oil level sensors and the rationale behind this decision. Alan reassures viewers about the reliability and convenience of modern oil monitoring systems. (Timestamp: 29:35)
  • Engine break-in process and the minimal need for early oil changes with modern engines. Alan explains how advancements in engine materials and manufacturing have reduced the need for a traditional break-in period. (Timestamp: 33:50)
  • Exploration of start-stop technology and starter motor durability. Alan addresses concerns about the impact of start-stop systems on starter motor wear, explaining how modern starters are designed to handle the increased demand. (Timestamp: 38:15)
  • Alan's perspective on common misconceptions and the evolution of engine technology. He wishes for a broader understanding of the advancements in oil technology and engine design that allow for longer oil change intervals and more efficient operation. (Timestamp: 43:20)

It's been my observation, and maybe I'm wrong, that in most engines you get the better fuel economy with say 0W-20 only up until the oil and engine come up to operating temperature. At operating temperature there isn't much fuel economy to be had versus 0W-40, unless we're talking about very light throttle application in a controlled testing environment. However, out there on the open road, while under load, pulling a trailer, the 0W-40 will undoubtedly provide better wear protection and more margin for fuel dilution than your garden variety 0W-20.

I watched the entire video, start to finish. The Hurricane inline six has Euro-Engineering vibes. Alan Falkowski made some generalized statements about how good thin oils have become, describing oil manufacturers almost like miracle workers. He also made the case that people should use the Start/Stop technology that comes with the Hurricane Engine. I don't like it when people, especially engineers, make generalized statements without backing those statements with data.

For anyone who doesn't want to spend time watching the entire video, I broke it down by topics with time stamps:
  • Introduction to the interview with Alan Falkowski on the development of the Hurricane engine, its features, and its use in upcoming vehicles like the 2025 Ram 1500 and Dodge Charger. Alan shares insights on the transition from the Hemi engine to the Hurricane engine, emphasizing the importance of meeting modern performance and regulatory requirements. (Start of video)
  • Discussion on engine design and decision-making around the inline-six configuration for the Hurricane engine. Alan explains the balance between power, fuel efficiency, and smooth operation, highlighting the benefits of turbocharging and the engine's fit in various vehicles. (Timestamp: 03:45)
  • Insights into the development process and challenges faced in creating the Hurricane engine. Alan touches on the evolution of engine design tools, the reduction in prototyping, and the shift towards more efficient manufacturing processes. (Timestamp: 08:20)
  • Deep dive into engine durability and reliability, addressing common concerns about turbocharged engines. Alan explains how modern design and testing methodologies ensure the Hurricane engine's reliability, even under extreme conditions. (Timestamp: 12:30)
  • Cooling systems and oil management for the Hurricane engine. The conversation covers the engine's cooling strategies, the importance of using the right oil, and the extended oil change intervals made possible by advancements in oil technology. (Timestamp: 18:55)
  • The role of oil in engine performance and longevity, with a focus on the latest oil standards and recommendations for the Hurricane engine. Alan dispels myths about oil change frequencies and emphasizes the benefits of modern synthetic oils. (Timestamp: 24:10)
  • Discussion on the absence of a traditional dipstick in favor of oil level sensors and the rationale behind this decision. Alan reassures viewers about the reliability and convenience of modern oil monitoring systems. (Timestamp: 29:35)
  • Engine break-in process and the minimal need for early oil changes with modern engines. Alan explains how advancements in engine materials and manufacturing have reduced the need for a traditional break-in period. (Timestamp: 33:50)
  • Exploration of start-stop technology and starter motor durability. Alan addresses concerns about the impact of start-stop systems on starter motor wear, explaining how modern starters are designed to handle the increased demand. (Timestamp: 38:15)
  • Alan's perspective on common misconceptions and the evolution of engine technology. He wishes for a broader understanding of the advancements in oil technology and engine design that allow for longer oil change intervals and more efficient operation. (Timestamp: 43:20)
No doubt, it is clearly FIAT driven engine. It is modular design, you can chop it off into 4 and 3cyl. BMW is doing that for 9 years.
I think in laboratory conditions, gaining some fuel benefits could be possible considering the discrepancy in HTHS, but I agree, it is about cold performance.

No doubt, it is clearly FIAT driven engine. It is modular design, you can chop it off into 4 and 3cyl. BMW is doing that for 9 years.
I think in laboratory conditions, gaining some fuel benefits could be possible considering the discrepancy in HTHS, but I agree, it is about cold performance.
Are you sure just 9 years ? The “chop off” strategy has been around on numerous makes for much longer …
I had a GMC with a chop off and electric fans - think you could stand between the radiator and motor LoL …
When I bought it was thinking how easy to service - but nothing broke in 77k - and, I started towing - needed a V8 … traded.

Actually, Stellantis began with the 2.0L four-cylinder Hurricane engine and then added two more cylinders to create it. It's not quite that simple, but that's essentially the reason the inline-six has a displacement of 3.0L. They specified 5W-30 oil (energy conserving, of course) for the 2.0L Hurricane engine. I'm sure they considered using 0W-40 to skirt energy-conserving oil regulations, but they likely decided against it. This decision might be because the 2.0L Hurricane is essentially the successor to the Pentastar V6, aiming to simplify things for the customer. However, I'm convinced of one thing: these inline-six Hurricane engines will be anything but fuel-efficient. The challenge with small displacement, forced induction engines in large and heavy vehicles is that managing fuel consumption becomes incredibly difficult. While they likely perform well on the EPA fuel economy cycle, the real-world efficiency for their owners might be significantly worse.

Actually, Stellantis began with the 2.0L four-cylinder Hurricane engine and then added two more cylinders to create it. It's not quite that simple, but that's essentially the reason the inline-six has a displacement of 3.0L. They specified 5W-30 oil (energy conserving, of course) for the 2.0L Hurricane engine. I'm sure they considered using 0W-40 to skirt energy-conserving oil regulations, but they likely decided against it. This decision might be because the 2.0L Hurricane is essentially the successor to the Pentastar V6, aiming to simplify things for the customer. However, I'm convinced of one thing: these inline-six Hurricane engines will be anything but fuel-efficient. The challenge with small displacement, forced induction engines in large and heavy vehicles is that managing fuel consumption becomes incredibly difficult. While they likely perform well on the EPA fuel economy cycle, the real-world efficiency for their owners might be significantly worse.
Of course, it is not that simple, but Mercedes moved back to inline 6 precisely for that reason. BMW kind of got confirmation of its philosophy, never wanting to abandon what is a more expensive and cumbersome design compared to V6.
In BMW's case, they are superbly efficient in any kind of vehicle. Even in that Grenadier, it gets 19mpg in the real world. So, let's see. I would not dismiss it immediately. I think it will be step up over HEMI.

Of course more viscosity gives more MOFT, and therefore more separation of moving parts and protection from wear. That's been a basic law of Tribology for over 140 years, and will always be true. The oil film thickness is what keeps parts from rubbing and wearing. Many studies of engine wear show that when the HTHS viscosity hits around 2.3 cP, the wear rate on some engine components starts noticeably increasing. It's been talked about in every thick vs thin thread, lol.

Based on this picture, Unique Part Diagram, it appears there is actually quite a few difference between the HO and SO. That includes connecting rod bearings. But it appears the main bearings are the same with a different crankshaft.
Interesting. Seeing how the main bearings are the same, I'm guessing the HO version has maybe forged components? Or maybe the stroke is slightly less or longer?

How many years have they been making the Hemi and they still have problems with them. Design is one thing...execution is another.
That is true for the 5.7 and 6.4; both eat cams with what appears to be low oil pressure and flow.

The 6.2 does not have this problem. It also has a higher volume oil pump.

There is a Hurricane crate engine that exceeds 1000 horsepower, featuring upgraded components in comparison to the high-output (HO) version of the Hurricane engine. This means that the Hurricane engine that's bolted in the Jeep Wagoneer and will ship with the new Dodge Charger does not quite match the legendary status of the 2JZ engine. It will be interesting to see how many enthusiasts attempt to further tune these engines, which will come in the 2025 Dodge Charger, and potentially exceed their limits. Only time will tell how these modifications will pan out.

Reactions: hrv
There is a Hurricane crate engine that exceeds 1000 horsepower, featuring upgraded components in comparison to the high-output (HO) version of the Hurricane engine. This means that the Hurricane engine that's bolted in the Jeep Wagoneer and will ship with the new Dodge Charger does not quite match the legendary status of the 2JZ engine. It will be interesting to see how many enthusiasts attempt to further tune these engines, which will come in the 2025 Dodge Charger, and potentially exceed their limits. Only time will tell how these modifications will pan out.
I know...but there is nothing like the look of the older 426 Hemi and the newer ones ....They look fast just looking at it under the hood....

Back