Get one now, about 70K +

Originally Posted By: E365
Still amazed there’s so much hate for electric cars. The electric motor is clearly superior to internal combustion in nearly every regard. Once battery prices and charging times drop more, it’ll be a no brainer.

Hate? I would absolutely drive a Model X if it was 40K cheaper, putting it at price-parity with my SRT Jeep, and if I was confident that Hydro ONE wasn't going to epically rape me in the next few years (they recently bought our local utility).

It would work for 90% of my driving, the only issue would be the ability to make the cottage and back on one charge, but the newer 100kWh battery seems to have aided in that regard.

I still prefer my 2 Series, but I do love driving the i3. With a range of @110 miles it makes a great suburban runabout. I may well buy it when the lease is up.

Talked to a guy at the Shell pumps yesterday who was filling his Volt. Said 90% of the time the 45 mile range gets him to work and back … (he was from another town) but he prefers two things: 1) back up engine 2) charges off standard low voltage … Reckon it’s a lot to do with what you do everyday …

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Talked to a guy at the Shell pumps yesterday who was filling his Volt. Said 90% of the time the 45 mile range gets him to work and back … (he was from another town) but he prefers two things: 1) back up engine 2) charges off standard low voltage … Reckon it’s a lot to do with what you do everyday …

My i3 has the Range Extender(a 650cc twin); I filled up the 2.5 gallon fuel tank on 9/30/16 and as of today it is still 1/2 full. I only use the 110V "Occasional Use" charger and it will almost always charge the battery to 100% overnight. That said, I rarely run the battery down to below 50%.

Without the internet … I would have zero chance of helping someone find a Tesla grade charger …
I can tell you right where to fill up with CNG just 3 miles from me
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
No more radiators, water pumps, mufflers, fuel pumps, what will we do now and how to spend our money...

Battery replacement.

Originally Posted By: billt460
"Cheaper" until you have to replace the batteries.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
The batteries are good for longer than most keep cars and when the prices of the vehicles comes down to be that of Gasoline ones then this will be moot.

It's only folks like us that will want more charging cycles because we drive the vehicles until the wheels fall off.

You are looking at a pay me now or pay me later scenario. If you have more battery you don't have to replace it too soon, but you pay up front at an earlier price, or you have to replace more frequently if your battery is small and any degradation is enough to make it useless.

The optimal plan would be to make the battery last 15-20 or so years with individual modules, and when it is old you the battery price will be cheaper than when it was new (technology mature and production scaling) so you can afford to replace it or refurbish the bad modules, to keep it going for another 5-10 years.

Last edited:
We are yet to understand how long the motors will last as well … and how we cross pollinate that with engine and transmission life model by model, etc … obviously brakes get a break (spelled ok?)

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Even if you have to replace the batteries, a Tesla owner can afford it.
I doubt it. I bet a lot of people buy them with the longest term loan possible, and then refinance it half way through for their status symbol.

There used to be a show called Life or Debt and they help people turn around their finances. The host confronted this one woman who had a Tesla and he basically said “You’re losing your house but you bought a $100k Tesla!?” And she said “It was NOT $100k, I bought the cheap base model, it was only $90k”
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: maximus
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
, what will we do now and how to spend our money...

Prostitutes(high class ones), illicit drugs and alcohol. Jk....

—�—�—�—

Electric means instant torque. Pops has a ‘15 Camry hybrid. That car pulls like a freight train when provoked.

That instant torque is a trip! First time I drove a Prius and C-Maxx,both left rubber for about a block
laugh.gif

That's like saying LandRover can afford to be unreliable just because their owners are wealthy (or look wealthy).

A bad car is a bad car is a bad car, remember that.

The battery packs on the i3, i8, and iPerformance(PHEV) cars are warranted by BMW for 8 years/100,000 miles. On top of that, faulty cells can be replaced individually rather than having to purchase an entire new battery pack.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

That's like saying LandRover can afford to be unreliable just because their owners are wealthy (or look wealthy).

A bad car is a bad car is a bad car, remember that.

I thought that was a selling feature for LandRover.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: MCompact
The battery packs on the i3, i8, and iPerformance(PHEV) cars are warranted by BMW for 8 years/100,000 miles. On top of that, faulty cells can be replaced individually rather than having to purchase an entire new battery pack.

I believe that's what basically happens in the Prius. Either some company will rebuild the battery pack or you can just buy a few cells and just replace the bad ones. I think when they rebuild it, they just replace the cells that aren't taking a charge and hope the rest keep going for a while. You can do the same with a battery pack in a cordless tool, but it's less cost effective and the guys charging to rebuild a pack cost almost as much as a new one.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I doubt it. I bet a lot of people buy them with the longest term loan possible, and then refinance it half way through for their status symbol.

There used to be a show called Life or Debt and they help people turn around their finances. The host confronted this one woman who had a Tesla and he basically said “You’re losing your house but you bought a $100k Tesla!?” And she said “It was NOT $100k, I bought the cheap base model, it was only $90k”
crazy2.gif

Pretty much, I think that is how most of America lives.

It's the same here in Canada. Most will never own their homes and count on inheritance. Sad.
frown.gif

People are living on being able to make the payments today. They will never truly own things and if they loose their job they are up the creek fast.

It's part of the reason the average income is about $50,000 CDN / Year and the house prices in big cities like Toronto are well over $1M for a detached. Heck even a Closet sized Condo goes for $400K.
frown.gif
Vancouver, BC is even worse!

I have never bought anything I didn't have the cash for including my house and vehicle.
(Now my vehicle is financed because I got it at 0% and my money is earning 8%.
smile.gif
)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
It's the same here in Canada. Most will never own their homes and count on inheritance. Sad.
frown.gif

People are living on being able to make the payments today. They will never truly own things and if they loose their job they are up the creek fast.

It's part of the reason the average income is about $50,000 CDN / Year and the house prices in big cities like Toronto are well over $1M for a detached. Heck even a Closet sized Condo goes for $400K.
frown.gif
Vancouver, BC is even worse!

I have never bought anything I didn't have the cash for including my house and vehicle.
(Now my vehicle is financed because I got it at 0% and my money is earning 8%.
smile.gif
)

I buy everything with cash, except for things on the credit card which I pay off in full every month. I've never had a car payment in 11 years of owning cars. Everyone my age thinks this is extremely strange. I'm sure some day I'll have a car payment, but why have one if I don't have to?

I think it is all priorities. Everyone wants the newest iPhone, Mercedes-Benz, and fashion even if they can't afford it.

It's all about being financially smart. Financing a vehicle can be smart if you can get 0% and invest the money elsewhere like you said. The problem is most people don't have money to invest elsewhere, they don't get 0% financing, and they take on the longest loan they possibly can.

I have lots of friends that brag about the cash they earn on their cash back rewards credit cards and then they carry a balance at 24%.
21.gif
I don't get it.

Now I use my cash back credit card for everything but like you I don't carry a balance.
thumbsup2.gif

I'm sure the banks hate me.
lol.gif

Back