Get one now, about 70K +

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
No more radiators, water pumps, mufflers, fuel pumps, what will we do now and how to spend our money...

On your electric bill.

Even when the car is empty it's peanuts to fill the batteries.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Tesla are only for affluent folks that can afford those types of vehicles.

Yeah, they start at Mercedes E class pricing but you can end up at S class pricing if you add all the options. In the used market, they're more in the S class pricing, nothing close to an E class.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
No more radiators, water pumps, mufflers, fuel pumps, what will we do now and how to spend our money...

On your electric bill.

Even when the car is empty it's peanuts to fill the batteries.
wink.gif

But that won't be the case if rates continue towards what they pay in Europe.

Also, with US gas prices, the point at which the per kWh cost makes it a wash with a conventional gasser is lower than for us in Canada.

The electricity prices could triple and it would still be cheaper than gasoline.

"If electricity is 12 cents per kWh — the national average (US) — it would cost $3.48 to go 100 miles. Another way to calculate cost is to use the number of kilowatt-hours it takes to recharge the EV's battery. If an EV requires 20 kWh to fully recharge and the rate is 12 cents per kWh, that's $2.40 to fill up the car." - Edmunds

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
I can buy three Toyota's for that kind of money. Gas is cheap and its looking like the electrics are going to bring the cost of oil down even more from what they are saying.

And this is why most people don't own one. It doesn't make economic sense yet.

Right on both counts. There may be a day when electric vehicles might make sense. But not now. And not in the immediate future. The cost has to come WAY DOWN. The charge time has to be much faster. And they have to be able to compete in the same distance per charge, as a gas vehicle does per tankful. And they are going to require a LARGE NETWORK of fast charge stations. Right now that ain't happening. They're just a toy to impress the neighbors. And to be honest, most of my neighbors would laugh at it. They're all driving big V-8's and Diesels.

The electricity prices could triple and it would still be cheaper than gasoline.

"If electricity is 12 cents per kWh — the national average (US) — it would cost $3.48 to go 100 miles. Another way to calculate cost is to use the number of kilowatt-hours it takes to recharge the EV's battery. If an EV requires 20 kWh to fully recharge and the rate is 12 cents per kWh, that's $2.40 to fill up the car." - Edmunds

"Cheaper" until you have to replace the batteries.

The batteries are good for longer than most keep cars and when the prices of the vehicles comes down to be that of Gasoline ones then this will be moot.

It's only folks like us that will want more charging cycles because we drive the vehicles until the wheels fall off.

That's roughly where we are headed. Denmark averages around $0.45/kWh and Germany isn't much less.

Ontario's effective rate varies massively depending on your location. If you are a rural ratepayer, your variable delivery charge ratchets up significantly with higher use, in some cases more than effectively doubling your bill.

A Tesla 100D has a 100kWh battery and has a range of 471km @ 120Km/h, 435km is you are running the A/C. In the winter that drops to 390km.

That translates to 4.71km/kWh "ideal", 4.35km/kWh with A/C and 3.9km/kWh when it is -10C (less if it is colder). At German prices of ~$0.42/kWh you are paying $42 per full charge, Ontario you'd be paying ~$14 plus delivery.

So that 42 dollars gets you:
- $0.09/km "ideal"
- $0.10/km with A/C
- $0.11/km with heat

Present Ontario rates get you:
- $0.03/km "ideal"
- $0.03/km with A/C
- $0.04/km with heat

Using Ontario as our example, a vehicle would have to get an unrealistic 3L/100Km with gas at $1.00/L to reach parity, however if we start looking at our European examples, all of a sudden we've reached that point much sooner. 11L/100Km is more than your Journey, which is rated at 9.2L/100Km.

Then we could do it using US gas prices. Gas in Dallas is presently $2.00/US Gallon, that's $0.53/Litre. Your Journey, at 9.2L/100Km would cost $4.88/100Km, or $0.05/Km, VERY close to our present Ontario rate and requires no potential accommodation for a delivery charge.

So basically, if fuel prices in Texas remain the same, electricity prices don't need to get anywhere near Europe's for a charge-up to start knocking on the price parity point for a fill up of a reasonably efficient 4-popper.

You are quite welcome. Seven years is a long time bud, in that period we've had the present Ontario disaster as well as what's unfolding in Australia, which Shannow has posted about extensively. I've subsequently become pretty invested in the topic. My wife and I toured Bruce Nuclear for our anniversary recently
grin.gif

It will be interesting to see who ultimately ends up with the Tesla products once they are merged or bought out by somebody.

It's inevitable.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
You are quite welcome. Seven years is a long time bud, in that period we've had the present Ontario disaster as well as what's unfolding in Australia, which Shannow has posted about extensively. I've subsequently become pretty invested in the topic. My wife and I toured Bruce Nuclear for our anniversary recently
grin.gif

Yeah we have had terrible management of this file and the other contenders that are going to be stepping up to manage it aren't great either.
frown.gif
I miss the good old days when things worked.
frown.gif

grin.gif

Yeah we have had terrible management of this file and the other contenders that are going to be stepping up to manage it aren't great either.
frown.gif
frown.gif

Yes, and there is so much damage that attempting to untangle that web is nary impossible.

grin.gif

frown.gif
frown.gif

Yes, and there is so much damage that attempting to untangle that web is nary impossible.
Between provincial and federal L's, it will take many years to fix what has been damaged unfortunately.

Last edited:
Still amazed there’s so much hate for electric cars. The electric motor is clearly superior to internal combustion in nearly every regard. Once battery prices and charging times drop more, it’ll be a no brainer.

Originally Posted By: PalmSpringsSCal
it must be wierd in a car like that.
I had a 1901 oldsmobile with twin electric motors moderate climb to 30 mph. That was wierd enough,but in a milder way. It would be even more so in your bosses

It is different that is for sure.

Originally Posted By: E365
Still amazed there’s so much hate for electric cars. The electric motor is clearly superior to internal combustion in nearly every regard. Once battery prices and charging times drop more, it’ll be a no brainer.

I'm all for it but the price has to be right.

Back