What are your thoughts on tattoos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over time, the body changes shape...and so does the tattoo. What looked like a recognizable pattern or shape or caricature upon injecting...may not always 10, 20, 30 or 40 years later. I think people look better without them.

Plus the idea of this happening to create the design is quite disturbing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxLoycj4pJY

Last edited:
For those who want them, fine, for those who don't fine. For those who may wish to be gainfully employed one day, it is probably best to avoid face tats. Recently even during this cold snap I have seen a few people outside wearing shorts and flip flops in this cold weather. I guess they want to make sure everyone can see that calf and foot tattoo. Have seen a few others in wife beater shirts ... again.. I guess they spent so much money on it that they just have to keep the tattoo visible at all costs even if it means getting their legs, feet and arms frostbitten.

Beautiful women with nasty tats are like buying a Bentley Mulsanne and sticking ricer stickers all over it, cutting up the suspension and stancing it, installing vinyl reupholstry and blue LEDs all over. It's the epitome of waste. IDK why this happens. Have you ever seen a naturally beautiful woman with hideous transvestite make up? WHY!??

OTOH it can be a great heads-up warning of short-sightedness.

Never wanted one, so I never had one, despite serving in the Royal Navy. When I joined in the 1970's it was a declining practice. Now it seems a huge craze. Apparently everyone is getting a tattoo to show their individuality - can you see anything wrong with this picture?.

Tattoo on women used to called "tramp stamps" before it became the latest craze.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: Claud
Now it seems a huge craze. Apparently everyone is getting a tattoo to show their individuality - can you see anything wrong with this picture?.

Nailed it! It's ironic as all getout that people want to express their individuality, but only in the most trendy, popular way...

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: 02SE
I have no interest in having any, and on women they always detract, IMO. But people are certainly free to do as they wish.

My thoughts exactly.
Tramp stamps let you know which way is which.

I have 2 tattoos on my arms from 22yrs of NAVAL service. USA Thank you for your service. Just curious as you have aged, have the tattoos changed in appearance. Faded or changed shape?

There's this girl that works at Costco that has her earlobes massively stretched out from installing gigantic plastic grommets. I do everything I can to maintain a distance of at least 25ft. from her .

Those things are a safety hazard. Can you imagine running in the woods with a set of those? Getting snagged would sure sting! Piercings on the face are hard to look at. However, a series of small silver rings running up the edge of the ear is beautiful to me. Go figure. Will simple piercings heal over. I bet most little girls like ear rings especially sparkly ones. But the screw on ones were all my daughter used.

Don't have one, will eventually. A green man on my Shoulder.

Work with people with various tattoos of various degrees, and like any art, they vary from good to not so good to woefull.

A woman in a singlet with an extremely well done sleeve, I find very attractive. A southern Cross behind the ear, or teardrop on the face, I find very unattractive.

Someone with their baby's face on their upper foot, I understand completely, as I do with the lodge master with his symbols. If you want to identify that way, I'm all for it.

They used to be military or low class, now they're on anyone from grandmothers to superstar athletes. I've always said no way no how never.

Never say never.

I would get a very specific tattoo to honor my son but wife says she couldn't bear look at it.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

Scars are WAY more interesting than tattoos. Those are earned, not bought.

Both bought AND earned.

Tattoos are a cultural thing in NZ, traditional in Maori and Pacific culture - Captain Cook took the Tahitian word Tautau, which became tattoo. Not too keen on facial tattoo, which is called Moko, but it's becoming popular with women again, traditionally just the chin with women. We even have politians with facial tattoos.

One of my daughters has a tattoo on her arm, a flower to represent her daughter, she can hold it close to her heart...I'm very happy with that. They cost money, for me that spare money for art can go to my own personal expression....motorcycle parts.

I've never understood if tattoos are a personal thing or if they're meant to be seen by anyone/everyone. What is proper etiquette for looking at someone's tattoo? Some sleeves are so busy there's no way to know what's there but some are so vibrant and clear it would be interesting to actually look at them. Do people mind if you ask about them?

Then there's the ones on wimmen's chests that go out of sight...what's the point of that?

I have both arms fully sleeved, full colour, wrist to shoulder. I wear long sleeved shirts at work, and most people don't even realise I have tattoos. When I'm not at work, I usually wear long sleeves too, mainly to keep the sun off my arms - I don't want the ink to fade. I got them done for me, not for anyone else, over about 10 years. Every single bit of it means something to me. Wife has couple of small ones, they're covered most of the time too.

As far as I'm aware, neither of us is a crook or a prostitute
smile.gif

What I don't understand is why some teens want both arms covered in tattoos....

Boredom, needing attention, pretending to be a bad [censored], etc.... ?

Originally Posted By: BJD78
For those who want them, fine, for those who don't fine. For those who may wish to be gainfully employed one day, it is probably best to avoid face tats. Recently even during this cold snap I have seen a few people outside wearing shorts and flip flops in this cold weather. I guess they want to make sure everyone can see that calf and foot tattoo. Have seen a few others in wife beater shirts ... again.. I guess they spent so much money on it that they just have to keep the tattoo visible at all costs even if it means getting their legs, feet and arms frostbitten.

You make a good point - a lot of people who have themselves tattooed, do it for attention...pure and simple.

Originally Posted By: Claud
Never wanted one, so I never had one, despite serving in the Royal Navy. When I joined in the 1970's it was a declining practice. Now it seems a huge craze. Apparently everyone is getting a tattoo to show their individuality - can you see anything wrong with this picture?.

Tattoo on women used to called "tramp stamps" before it became the latest craze.

Claud.

Precisely!

I’m 38, and in the aviation maintenance business. The fact that I have no ink makes me a minority in my field, especially among men my age and younger.

Who’s unique now?
smile.gif

I am a huge fan of tattooing. I have my arms inked with 8 large tattoos. All of my children (4 boys and 1 girl) have color. My wife does not and never will. Tattooing is a personal decision. When people ask me about them and the process and if I think they should get one. I am honest with them and also tell them I will never tell a person to get one or not. 100% their choice. I have zero remorse for the ones I have. Love them all. It does get under my skin (pun intended) when someone, especially if we do not know each other, has negative things to say about me or my tats. I did not get them to please or [censored] off anyone. So **** and get on with your life. That's my story and I'm sticking to it

Don

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
My wife has a tasteful small tattoo on her hip, that means something to her and I don't think she has or will regret it for a second.

The classiest lady I know and respect has a small one on her shoulder blade..it is very special to her. She won't even tell me.

Some people can pull them off and look really good with ink, others look ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back