Is it just me or are municipalities using more salt on the roads?

Within the last 3 years or so, I've noticed that my cars get saltier from the roads quicker than normal. It takes 10 miles to accumulate x amount of salt vs the past when it used to be about 16-20 or so. Is it really just me seeing this or are there actual changes happening in other places as well? Also, driving on a Interstate today, it looked like it was snowing due to the amount of salt dust in the air. Not even joking, it was hard to see some taillights due how much dust was being thrown up. Roads also looked like a weird saturated gray.

...Yeah I'm tired of winter already.
Seems like it here too but it could just be in my head because of how much it bothers me.

Make sure you clean out that cavity behind the rear driver side wheel. That will be a future rust spot on the Maverick.
I hit the back and fronts of the splash guards real well, as well as the entire wheel well area. Hit the aero guards in front of each wheel also. Stuff came out so I kept doing it till it was a clear as your going to get. Far better than the drive thru car wash underbody sprayer. Supposed to be above freezing all next week and may hit the area again with my garden hose and rinse off the water streaks from it being slightly below freezing when I drove home. Then dry it good. If energetic, might do a quickie wax with Protect-All.

They dump the stuff on the road like its free here in Ohio. I actually had one of the young plow drivers tell me him and his buddies try to see who can dump the most salt. Like gee thanks we sure appreciate our vehicles rusting out sooner. The brine is even worse and they use it just as heavy around here. It attacks more than just metal too.

My black truck looks white now from driving this week. I'll be glad when spring is here.

They dump the stuff on the road like its free here in Ohio. I actually had one of the young plow drivers tell me him and his buddies try to see who can dump the most salt. Like gee thanks we sure appreciate our vehicles rusting out sooner. The brine is even worse and they use it just as heavy around here. It attacks more than just metal too.

My black truck looks white now from driving this week. I'll be glad when spring is here.
Yeah I always heard the brine was bad for aluminum also.
Should have asked him if the car dealerships were paying them to destroy our cars faster? Lol.
Just the other day 2 plows were dumping a crazy amount coming the opposite direction so I drove over onto the shoulder to avoid it, only to have the tractor trailer that was tailgating them blow it all over me anyway.

All that leftover salt from the past few season of no snow, and they just want to get rid of their surplus :sneaky:

They need to switch to non-chloride solutions, including sodium formate, potassium formate, acetates, even urea or propylene glycol, the latter two most commonly used on airplane runways.

Before the salt-season starts, I pre-treat all my vehicles with this. Let it dry underneath and works to neutralize fresh salt/brine. Occasional washes with it during the season and a good final rinse in spring. Bare metal on my newer cars is relatively corrosion free.

I work in NY and they PAVE the roads with salt like its going out of style . Then come back into CT and barely any salt and roads are junk
The roads in NY are junk also. We lived in upstate NY and roads were never in great shape, summer or winter. The moron who was the highway supervisor in our town barely maintained the dirt roads and when it warmed up in the spring but the ground was still frozen the road was a foot deep in mud then mud & ruts. If a heavy garbage truck happen to travel on the road on one of those days it tore it up even more.

Now to add salt (ha ha) to the wound my taxes in NY were 10x (yes ten times) to those I pay in Delaware. Crappy roads and pay 10x the taxes. Good formula to push people especially those retiring to move.

Now in Delaware the roads are significantly better. I am sure less need for salt along with fewer or less intense freeze/thaw cycles is a large part of it.

Then there is how long your vehicle lasts if not sprayed with Krown or similar. In Delaware there is no need and no shops that I can find.

There is a reason NY is part of the rust belt.

The roads in NY are junk also. We lived in upstate NY and roads were never in great shape, summer or winter. The moron who was the highway supervisor in our town barely maintained the dirt roads and when it warmed up in the spring but the ground was still frozen the road was a foot deep in mud then mud & ruts. If a heavy garbage truck happen to travel on the road on one of those days it tore it up even more.

Now to add salt (ha ha) to the wound my taxes in NY were 10x (yes ten times) to those I pay in Delaware. Crappy roads and pay 10x the taxes. Good formula to push people especially those retiring to move.

Now in Delaware the roads are significantly better. I am sure less need for salt along with fewer or less intense freeze/thaw cycles is a large part of it.

Then there is how long your vehicle lasts if not sprayed with Krown or similar. In Delaware there is no need and no shops that I can find.

There is a reason NY is part of the rust belt.
I get covered in oil every time I crawl underneath my truck to grease it. It sure would be nice to live where they don't use salt and I wouldn't have the entire undercarriage soaked in Krown. It's messy but better than rust.

Seriously... Feel sorry for ya man. Only about 70 or so days until this is over.

A local guy tells me if they don't use it they get less for the next year. So they try and use it even when the chance of snow is low.
I've always really disliked this government mentality. I talked to a retired Fire Fighter and he said the same thing. All this promotes is budget waste instead of buying when something is really needed.

I'm fine with the salt, they just don't use it enough in the subdivisions. A salty car is a small price to pay for safety.

GM has a proving grounds in Michigan where apparently they salted it so much that it ruined the ground water and subsequently the plumbing of the homes next to the test track:

I've always really disliked this government mentality. I talked to a retired Fire Fighter and he said the same thing. All this promotes is budget waste instead of buying when something is really needed.
One of my coworkers did some surveying for the local hydro plant. The employee there told him it was for the "new fence" as he shook his head. He then said there would be no new fence, but they had to use up their budget or it would get cut next year, so our company just happened to be the lucky ones to receive the wasted $.
This has to be the dumbest mentality ever.

I work in NY and they PAVE the roads with salt like its going out of style . Then come back into CT and barely any salt and roads are junk

Yeah. Still remember the bumps on Connecticut I-84...
I actually think CT strikes the right balance with salt, plow, and pave. Always down to wet pavement within 24 hours, but they don't overdo it on salt. DOT does a pretty good job keeping things paved, and I rarely ever see a pothole.

Massachusetts was far worse, they used 3x salt and had 10x potholes too.

I rarely ever go to NY and if they are oversalting I guess I'll continue to stay away.

Back