What was your shortest employment?

Oh, yeah. I had one of those "jobs". My father knew a guy that owned a pizza place. We go there on a Wednesday and talk to the guy. I was about 14 or 15 years old. The owner says I can start on in 3 days on Saturday. Come in at 2pm and work to 6pm. My father drops me off at 1:50pm. The owner isn't there. It's some new guy that says he just bought the place and doesn't need any help. Now, I'm stuck there in a sketchy area for 4 hours with nothing to do. Luckily, my father drove past soon and saw me and he's like how did you get fired in 5 minutes. Just a weird thing to happen.
Atleast you didn't place an order with the new guy.;)

I remember a friend got his first job at a shoe store. On his first day, he broke for lunch and never came back. He said the stinking , disgusting feet he saw and measured that morning made him sick...:sick:

1 day on the assembly line. My brain melted after 30 minutes. I finished the day, but quit that evening.
Me, too, except it was a 3rd shift contract job at a HP plant manufacturing printer components, in the summer between college semesters. Nasty/dirty work. After one shift, I said "F-This!".

Somewhere around two weeks. When I was 17, I worked at burger joint on the "assembly line", and also ran to-go orders outside to cars. Got fired for collecting a stash of french fries on the way out to the cars. Took one or two fries from each overflowing bag. There were two of us doing it, but I didn't rat out my co-conspirator. And I found out later that liberating fries was almost a company tradition! Got another after-school job closer to where I lived, so it worked out for the best.

I worked a whole 2 days as a lawnmower mechanic the summer after my freshman year at college. My uncle's relative had a lawnmower shop that was desperately needing a mechanic and I been tinkering with engines and mechanical stuff since I was big enough to adjust a crescent wrench so it seemed like a good fit for a summer job. After two days of working 9 hour days in an un airconditioned shop in south MS reeking of gasoline and liquid wrench, plus the realities of how repair shops operate, I was done. Saturday morning I told the boss I was quitting to go to summer school at the community college. I felt bad about quitting so quickly and didn't even want any pay but he insisted on paying me for the jobs I completed. Really didn't matter. I think my pay worked out to about $1.50 /hr.

Me, too, except it was a 3rd shift contract job at a HP plant manufacturing printer components, in the summer between college semesters. Nasty/dirty work. After one shift, I said "F-This!".
My job was to screw the front bezel to the chassis cover on Dell Optiplexes. Good ole beige boxes. I buggered a few.

1706653012832.png

That pretty much moved to Foxconn/Foxlink

They messed up a lot too.

I saw warehouses full of HP (scanners mostly) that were no good for various reasons..........

Autozone as a part time parts driver. Lasted 4 weeks. It was right as the pandemic hit. I had got offered a job at my current employer. Day I was supposed to start got a call early in the morning not to come in. Said they cutting back staff until they had a better idea of what was going on. Few weeks later I got a call to come in. Gave autozone a weeks notice.

1 day. I was 17 and was asked to help at the Vancouver UBC, University Women's Club doing dishes and light serving. It was a one time thing but I didn't like doing menial stuff for wealthy women who were themselves Club Members and event volunteers, but considered themselves to be CEO's

Working at a tire shop when I was trying to get out of broadcast television engineering/ operations.

I hated it my first weekend. Luckily they only hired me part-time so I juggled the schedule between it and TV as it was NOT what I wanted to do, even though it was. Don't turn your hobbies into a career!

They'd tack on 0.2 hours for a "brake inspection" for any job I did, because they liked me, I guess. They paid a hybrid minimum wage plus flat rate system that was fair for what it was.

The district manager measured a store's metrics by gross revenue, so they kept slamming through the $16.95 bulk oil changes, hoping that whatever they lost on each one, they'd make up for on volume.

We did an 84 point checklist, obviously for upselling, but the customers who wanted the cheapo oil change either had perfect cars or absolute heaps, about which they would ignore our suggestions.

Training was just following someone around who'd been there a while. She'd gun lug nuts on, lower a car to the ground, then click the nuts with a torque wrench (that didn't rotate) and declare they were done right. I had to figure out oil reset procedures for 20 different models on-the-fly. A wall poster would have been useful. We had a wall poster for lug torque, at least.

I was trying to figure out how to get out of there. My POS dodge dakota needed a state inspection in April, so I thought I'd stick around until then so I could get a fresh sticker on it under friendly circumstances. Then I broke my ankle on Super Bowl Sunday and called it quits. Tally it up and I spent about 100 hours of my life working there. How'd I break it? We had another POS Dodge Dakota (not mine, LOL) and its lug nuts were swollen under the chrome. I hurried between two lift posts, about a 10-inch gap, to get to my toolbox to punch said stuck nut out of its socket. My foot lodged itself behind the rest of me, and, pop! Workman's comp!

In contrast to the “job hopping millennial” stereotype I’ve had 3 jobs since I was 16… the shortest being a year at my 1st job as a cashier. 2 years at a machine shop, and September will be my 10th year at my current employer. I’ve had 4 “positions” at my current job, working my way up.

One day at our police department. Got a call from the fire department while on lunch and went to fire department the next day. Both were civil service and double shot applying to both. Found out later that several moved btwn the departments over the years.
Main reason was that I knew my temper and would probably get in trouble as a police officer. Second reason was I would rather go somewhere where everyone wanted me there than at least half not wanting me to be there. Thirdly the fire department schedule was awesome working 24 hour shifts in a nine day cycle working three days with a day off between each work day then four straight days off.

Back