Is it just me or are municipalities using more salt on the roads?

This is the first time in a couple time in a couple years where it has actually really snowed so they're really putting the salt to the roads around here. I don't even know what color my truck is anymore. One of the roads I travel they actually tarred and chipped the entire length of it this summer they had some much cinder left over to use. Well not surprisingly it is already torn up and will need major work come Spring. They usually reserve that for small back roads, not mail thoroughfares. No surprise it failed...

I think they are being more mindful in Maryland about salt usage. The state has been held liable for salt pollution of wells along roads. I have seen the devastating effects it has on plumbing.

The interstates here in IA are definitely hit hard with Brine, then salt, but our county and State are pretty good about using only what is necessary. They actually stopped treating last week and only started applying when it got back above 0F since salt doesn’t work at all below that temp. Wind here covers our roads very quickly, burying the salt anyway.

I think the closer you get to DesMoines the more salt you see, but that has other reasons associated with it, like whining people, as highlighted in an earlier post.

AmmoNYC just did a how to clean your car in season for salt cleanup. His stuff is too expensive for my Chrysler, Nissan, and Toyota, but I do learn from watching him.

This brine is Halite "Sodium chloride" typically, See link here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halite (sea salt) and water. At times it is the residues of a desalinization plants processes. So its like driving your car into ocean water. Very corrosive to say the least, albeit effective at slowing down or thawing ice formation on roadways. It can be any combination of salts or liquids Calcium chloride, Magnesium Chloride etc. that has the potential of melting H20

I think they are being more mindful in Maryland about salt usage. The state has been held liable for salt pollution of wells along roads. I have seen the devastating effects it has on plumbing.

Not in Washington County, more specifically the outskirts of Hagerstown. I take several back roads through there to and from work and the past couple weeks I think the drivers have been having a competition on how much salt they put down. :ROFLMAO:

But, there was plenty of traction to be had, sooo yea.

Not in Washington County, more specifically the outskirts of Hagerstown. I take several back roads through there to and from work and the past couple weeks I think the drivers have been having a competition on how much salt they put down. :ROFLMAO:

But, there was plenty of traction to be had, sooo yea.
Yeah some stupid young plow driver already admitted that to one of the members here.

they use alot of salt and the liquid stuff in eau claire wi,the roads are white with it,why not some more sand?,as im told it plugs up storm drains in spring,,as for salt etc ,wonder what it does to the rivers, ecology?? .they used to use road graders to plow?scrap up snow, and ice not no more,(too slow&lack of qualified operators),,now just trucks with blades that are not as effective.

I noticed Sat our roads were bad and once we cross over the town line the other town’s roads are clear. I guess it depends. I don’t notice salt in PA. Either brine or nothing. Maybe it was too cold for salt this past week.

They use so much Salt and Salt-brine here that if the roads are dry between storms, the roads are white. That doesn't go away until we have some good spring rain storms to wash the salt away.

We had a really bad wet snow/ice event some years ago on New Year's Eve, on what turned out to be a night off for most of the plow drivers. There were countless wrecks that night due to icy highways. Ever since, it seems they have made up for that by really piling on the salt. Like some have said, it seems sometimes they put down more salt than there is snow.

I see the county north of me, a more populous urban county, has started to salt even the township roads where there is a lot of traffic. My county doesn't. They might add gravel at the stop signs. Getting a ice storm today so a lot of salt will be going out on the road by the state. The state uses a a lot of salt when the snow blows and collects. But they use a brine until the snow comes.

It is a mild ice storm here in KC overnight into early morning. I'm at 32° right now. It was 27° most of the night when it started. I can here the trucks being loaded with salt, the OSHA beeper has been going non-stop on the loader. The city worksite is nearby. White streets again unless the regular rain washes it off tonite.

Last edited:
Back