What are your phobias?

Snakes, Spiders, Deep Ocean, Flying over water, any kind of machinery that might maim or cause loss of limb or life.

You would love 'Mr. Harrigan's Phone' by Stephen King - either the novella or the movie adaption.
I found the plot on wikipedia. It is definitely a King kind of story, though he's not really my kind of novelist.

My issue isn't really the phone ringing so much as the irritating conversations I have to listen to. Both the ones I'm part of and the half sided ones other people have on them.

I would have a very hard time being on a boat in the middle of the ocean knowing how much deep, dark water was underneath me. No thanks.

I don't like crowds. More than 8-10 people in a group spooks me.
I was at a very big rally on the National Mall quite a few years ago. It was getting more and more crowded which was only an annoyance at first. It was only when I looked around and saw how many people were behind me that I had a minor claustrophobic panic attack and decided it was time to go.

I would have a very hard time being on a boat in the middle of the ocean knowing how much deep, dark water was underneath me. No thanks.

SCUBA diving where you cant see the bottom from the surface. How deep IS it? It's a really creepy feeling as you begin descending. I would guess it's similar to spatial disorientation for pilots in low visibility conditions.

Even in just 2o to 50 feet of coastal waters there's often uncertainty. Something brushes up against me and it's invariably creepy. It's not only seals nosing people. A furry sensation is ok but a rough one is not so great. The water is usually not clear because of sand that gets stirred up and you can't see what's going to bite you.

I can’t do roller coasters. I can do the ones designed for 5 yo that get setup in traveling carnivals. I can even do ones in Sesame Place. But I cannot do a standard adult roller coaster. I don’t think it’s irrational as I understand they are safe. It’s the forces and motion…

Tight horizontal spaces

Heights to some extent. Not bugged by being in a plane, tall building or top of mountain, but my legs just will not allow my body to clamber on a roof any more, or close to the edge of a roof for sure

New one: fear of being unable to find my oil change surgical gloves........I looked for an hour........could not find. Froze. Then went ahead anyway. Got toxic used oil on hands, orange cleaner got the stench gone.

arachnophobia - I keep wasp and hornet spray in my truck's cup holder,mower's cup holder and beside my flashlight.Wasp spray has a good stream and is effective on spiders as well.The Joro spider has established around here and they bring all their kin!

arachnophobia - I keep wasp and hornet spray in my truck's cup holder,mower's cup holder and beside my flashlight.Wasp spray has a good stream and is effective on spiders as well.The Joro spider has established around here and they bring all their kin!
Aren’t those JS’s harmless to humans ?

A neighbor was in an elevator that dropped 2 stories, messed her up quite a bit. A different one for me is not a phobia but common sense fear is I never walk over grates with my keys in my hand in a parking lot.

A neighbor was in an elevator that dropped 2 stories, messed her up quite a bit. A different one for me is not a phobia but common sense fear is I never walk over grates with my keys in my hand in a parking lot.
I did drop them down an elevator shaft. My buddy was the bldg mgr so he helped me retrieve them. I’ve never noticed in my office today (built 2019) if that’s possible or not

I was at a very big rally on the National Mall quite a few years ago. It was getting more and more crowded which was only an annoyance at first. It was only when I looked around and saw how many people were behind me that I had a minor claustrophobic panic attack and decided it was time to go.
Back before the Mrs. passed, we went to a Steve Miller concert at a very small venue. People hip bone to hip bone packed. The fire marshall should have been called. We were both very uncomfortable and we left. Felt much better after leaving the building.

I used to be a cave crawler for many years and then I got stuck and fear of being trapped. I don't do caves anymore and even had a dream about being trapped.
I love spelunking! I don't care to be 20 ft up a rickidy ladder and I don't see myself sky diving. I don't go looking for bugs or snakes but if I see them I'll shoe them away with a broom.

When I was about 9 I watched my dad climb a 200+ ft tall radio tower with no safety harness,just hand over hand with a light bulb in his mouth and changed the bulb on the top

Last edited:
I don’t have phobias so much as things which cause anxiety. Heights, large crowds, and closed spaces. I can power through and deal with it but not really a fan.

Other things which cause anxiety watching the news (I don’t do this one anymore cause I cannot handle the constant negativity and sky is flying) and watching my kids being hurt or injured.

Back