What are your thoughts on tattoos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the tat's craze is dying out. We saw a huge surge of them about 4-5 years ago, but I honestly think it's becoming out of style.

I don't have one (neither does my spouse), but I try not to judge those who do.

Looking at chicks while at the mall or walking down the street, the ones with tattoos are automatically discarded in my mind. Zero interest. Chicks get tatts to stand out, I guess, but it’s the ones without tattoos that stand out as far as I’m concerned.

Motorsports girls I like: Simona de Silvestro, Sabine Schmitz, Svetlana Kapanina.... why? No tattoos, incredibly intelligent and loaded with skill. They don’t NEED tattoos to stand out, just being in their presence, you know they’re top shelf stuff.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
I'm 38 and was raised in Tennessee. Parents (baby boomers born in 1941 & 1942) were from Mississippi and Alabama and didn't have them and neither did the grandparents. Their opinion, which they taught me, was that tattoos were considered low-class and trashy, unless you were military, especially Navy or Marine Corps, then it was a lot more accepted - even expected.

So, I'm not a fan - especially on women. I actually couldn't care less if a guy wants to have tattoos. That's my personal opinion. If I were a manager in certain fields, I might have to insist that people I was in charge of did not have tattoos visible, because, even in 2018, there are still certain "attitudes" about tattoos, and the appearance of professionalism is needed in certain lines of work.

I'm no fan of piercings, either. My parents, and many of their generation also believed that pierced ears were trashy and low-class...especially piercing a baby's ears. If they want to get their ears pierced, I think that's a decision they should make when they become a teenager. Don't modify someone's body without their consent.

That more or less reflects my sentiment and position. There can be a decently artistic element to some of the larger works on arms or the torso, but I find there to be far better ways to express art.

My wife has a tasteful small tattoo on her hip, that means something to her and I don't think she has or will regret it for a second. If anything as we age I think its a small reminder of what we used to look like and things that are important to her.
I don't and won't have any tattoo's at this point though. I never really thought about it before, but I suppose a complimentary one to my wife's might have been a good idea.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
I think the tat's craze is dying out. We saw a huge surge of them about 4-5 years ago, but I honestly think it's becoming out of style.

I don't have one (neither does my spouse), but I try not to judge those who do.

That's the big thing with tattoos of course. The style may change, but yours better be classic and look good for a LONG time.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
she starts getting undressed,and suddenly there's this nasty tattoo. Gives me the sudden need to want to take a shower.
Before or after?
grin.gif

Lol

Not a fan of sleeves or big leg tats. Do like foot and ankle tats. Lower back. Things that can be hidden if desired. Love piercing in good places....
grin.gif

I don't have a problem with them. My wife has several and I think she's beautiful of course. Not beautiful because of the tattoos, but also not beautiful in spite of the tattoos. I don't have any myself yet. I may get one (or more)eventually. I'm not concerned about how I'll look when I'm older. I'll be wrinkly and gross-looking anyway. When was the last time you saw an attractive 82 year old person?

My Wife and I don't have any. My two grown boys have none. My Daughter has one that is Cherry Blossoms on her back. It's tastefully done and You would never know it's there unless she is in a bathing suit. I have seen a few that look good on other people but generally it's not my thing.

There's this girl that works at Costco that has her earlobes massively stretched out from installing gigantic plastic grommets. I do everything I can to maintain a distance of at least 25ft. from her.

Not my thing personally.

- if they are tasteful
- tell an interesting story
- or are true art (which is rare)

Im good with them.

Otherwise I think they are a bad call.

UD

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Tattoos tend to be associated with low-lifes like Colin Kaepernick or the people causing trouble on an episode of "Cops".

Lots of law enforcement officers have tattoos.

Tattoos only look cool if you're an outlaw biker or if you are in the military and in a combat role.

If I see a woman with lots of tattoos.... I think she's a prostitute.

I have a few. Half sleeve on both arms. One on each calf. A few on upper arms also. With nice slacks and a dress shirt on all are concealable. I can look professional when need be. You can’t always judge a book by its cover. I’m an Anti-Money Laundering Investigator at a bank. I’ve never done illegal drugs. I’ve never been in trouble with the law. Going into my 14th year of marriage. I love tattoos and don’t any of the negative stereotypes associated with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back