VW 508 Spec-0w20

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
I’ve found the Castrol online, thankfully. Vw as well. Anyone know who makes the vw oil?

Cheapest bidder.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Do explain fuel economy part of VW508.00/509.00? If you compare to MB229.71 oxidation and economy are non-existant in VW508.00/509.00.
Granted 0W20 due to lower HTHS will use less fuel (whole 4%, worth engine I guess).
I have no doubt that engine will last warranty period. I highly doubt VW cares what happens after.

Just to be clear, I am comparing the actual specifications. The VW one has (IIRC) three VW-specific fuel economy engine tests, as well as the ACEA FE requirement. MB has FE requirements too.

Originally Posted By: weasley
Do explain fuel economy part of VW508.00/509.00? If you compare to MB229.71 oxidation and economy are non-existant in VW508.00/509.00.
Granted 0W20 due to lower HTHS will use less fuel (whole 4%, worth engine I guess).
I have no doubt that engine will last warranty period. I highly doubt VW cares what happens after.

Just to be clear, I am comparing the actual specifications. The VW one has (IIRC) three VW-specific fuel economy engine tests, as well as the ACEA FE requirement. MB has FE requirements too.

FE requirements are coming from the fact that HTHS is above 2.6 and below 2.9. Just because VW has FE tests doe not mean that they are as strict or stricter then others.
I am the one that always claims that approved oil should be always run in engine. However, this VW508.00/509.00 thing in EA888 is complete nonsense and one more gimmick by VW. By the way, since Passat B5 1.8T introduction to the U.S. market VW cannot properly recommend oil for their cars. In new Atlas they now claim they have to update manuals because they put 0W30 recommendation.
There are two things VW is doing here:
1. Fulfilling CAFE requirements.
2. Trying to bring up MPG in line with CR-V and RAV4 since VW is trying now to make cars that feel more like Toyota then actual Toyota. Problem is, CR-V and RAV4 engines are made around light oils, EA888 is NOT!

Last edited:
By the way, since Passat B5 1.8T introduction to the U.S. market VW cannot properly recommend oil for their cars. In new Atlas they now claim they have to update manuals because they put 0W30 recommendation.
2. Trying to bring up MPG in line with CR-V and RAV4 since VW is trying now to make cars that feel more like Toyota then actual Toyota. Problem is, CR-V and RAV4 engines are made around light oils, EA888 is NOT!

The longitudinal 1.8T sludge issue is because VW and Audi allowed for very flexible oil choices in their list of recommended properties of oil, which along with a reduced crankcase due to interference between the subframe and the oil pan. It didn't say it must meet 502.00 standard. It was just 5w40 with the option of 5w30, API S-something, or 502.00. Since that sludge debacle, VW and Audi became more specific, buy specifying the standard the oil has to meet.

the Atlas, it's most likely because it's too specific, by stating both 502.00 and the weight of 0w30, which then the dealership parts network did not establish the supply of.

How do you know the ea888-3B wasn't designed for a lower HTHS, lower weight oil? Yes, the regular ea888 was designed for a higher weight with the higher HTHS spec.

You said...

I was simply pointing out that there are fuel economy test requirements in the VW 508 00/509 00 specification (actual engine tests, not just HTHS), contrary to what you posted. Furthermore there are also oxidation and deposit requirements.

No question, the MB229.71 spec is a robust one. But then so is the VW 508 00/509 00, with an even more demanding wear requirement than the MB one (it's actually nearly half the wear limit allowed in the valvetrain). You dismiss it out-of-hand and people reading this may take that as read, I am hopefully adding a bit more to the discussion to show that it is deeper than it looks. When you actually read the specifications you see that there is a lot more to it than a simple spider chart can represent. Unfortunately not many OEMs publish their specifications publicly.

Originally Posted By: weasley
You said...

I was simply pointing out that there are fuel economy test requirements in the VW 508 00/509 00 specification (actual engine tests, not just HTHS), contrary to what you posted. Furthermore there are also oxidation and deposit requirements.

No question, the MB229.71 spec is a robust one. But then so is the VW 508 00/509 00, with an even more demanding wear requirement than the MB one (it's actually nearly half the wear limit allowed in the valvetrain). You dismiss it out-of-hand and people reading this may take that as read, I am hopefully adding a bit more to the discussion to show that it is deeper than it looks. When you actually read the specifications you see that there is a lot more to it than a simple spider chart can represent. Unfortunately not many OEMs publish their specifications publicly.

Of course there is more to it. I am not claiming that VW508.00/509.00 is on par with some regular 0W20 that you can pick up anywhere. Probably that is why it comes with dye in it.
However, that same engine is in Europe slotted to use VW504.00/507.00 and/or VW508.00/509.00. That was my point: A. That engine is NOT strictly specified for lower HTHS and b. one can use heavier oil: higher HTHS.
VW since introduction of VW504.00/507.00 has strict wear requirements. VW 504.00/507.00 probably has most stringent test requirements of all 0/5W30 oils. Similar is with VW508.00/509.000 (though there is no indication of BMW 0W20 how does it perform). Still overall, taking everything into consideration, MB229.71 is more robust, and probably BMW LL-14. It is not everything about wear. VW504.00/507.00 is very strict specification, however I worked on development of oil precisely for that specification and it was achieved with fairly mediocre base oil.
But hey, his car, he can do whatever he wants.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
By the way, since Passat B5 1.8T introduction to the U.S. market VW cannot properly recommend oil for their cars. In new Atlas they now claim they have to update manuals because they put 0W30 recommendation.

The longitudinal 1.8T sludge issue is because VW and Audi allowed for very flexible oil choices in their list of recommended properties of oil, which along with a reduced crankcase due to interference between the subframe and the oil pan. It didn't say it must meet 502.00 standard. It was just 5w40 with the option of 5w30, API S-something, or 502.00. Since that sludge debacle, VW and Audi became more specific, buy specifying the standard the oil has to meet.

the Atlas, it's most likely because it's too specific, by stating both 502.00 and the weight of 0w30, which then the dealership parts network did not establish the supply of.

How do you know the ea888-3B wasn't designed for a lower HTHS, lower weight oil? Yes, the regular ea888 was designed for a higher weight with the higher HTHS spec.

I know what was an issue. At the same time in Europe VW was very strict what kind of oil goes in 1.8T. My point is VW again is playing these games. In 90's it tried to make it less burdensome for owners so it attracts customers of Camry or Accord, among others. Now it is trying to hike up in every possible way MPG in Tiguan and Atlas.
As for 0W30 in Atlas, I would say it is rush to get that car out to the market. 0W30 as far as I remember was specific recommendation for S4. I would not be surprised that they just copied old manuals.

Thanks. It is my car and frankly I’m on the hook if I don’t use the correct oil. Do I feel wonderful about 0w20? Not really, but it’s my butt if I have issues and get denied warranty coverage.

Also, do they even have this exact engine in Europe? I’m honestly asking...

I know what was an issue. At the same time in Europe VW was very strict what kind of oil goes in 1.8T. My point is VW again is playing these games. In 90's it tried to make it less burdensome for owners so it attracts customers of Camry or Accord, among others. Now it is trying to hike up in every possible way MPG in Tiguan and Atlas.
As for 0W30 in Atlas, I would say it is rush to get that car out to the market. 0W30 as far as I remember was specific recommendation for S4. I would not be surprised that they just copied old manuals.

I wouldn't say it was a rush to market. I do say VW f'd up the logistics. Back in 2004, when VW introduced the PD's, VWoA did do it right and made sure 505.01 was available at the dealership from the start, and Castrol made sure that an aftermarket solution (Castrol TXT) was available to be Magnuson-Moss compliant. The Atlas' case was people's tunnel vision that only 5w40 and 0w40 oils were 502.00, not knowing that there is an aftermarket solution from Castrol available.

you have to blame the CAFE average requirements at that time, to hike up in almost every possible way to get better MPG's short of using CVT's instead of a conventional automatic.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Thanks. It is my car and frankly I’m on the hook if I don’t use the correct oil. Do I feel wonderful about 0w20? Not really, but it’s my butt if I have issues and get denied warranty coverage.

Also, do they even have this exact engine in Europe? I’m honestly asking...

I am not sure about Miller cycle, but in reality it is same engine.

I wouldn't say it was a rush to market. I do say VW f'd up the logistics. Back in 2004, when VW introduced the PD's, VWoA did do it right and made sure 505.01 was available at the dealership from the start, and Castrol made sure that an aftermarket solution (Castrol TXT) was available to be Magnuson-Moss compliant. The Atlas' case was people's tunnel vision that only 5w40 and 0w40 oils were 502.00, not knowing that there is an aftermarket solution from Castrol available.

you have to blame the CAFE average requirements at that time, to hike up in almost every possible way to get better MPG's short of using CVT's instead of a conventional automatic.

I am not sure why logistics is a problem considering how long VR6 is on the market. Numerous VW502.00 options on the market, from 0/5W30 to 10W40.

I am not sure why logistics is a problem considering how long VR6 is on the market. Numerous VW502.00 options on the market, from 0/5W30 to 10W40.

The problem is not how long the VR6 is on the market, since it VW uses the inferior "5w40" 502.00 oil, that you despise.

The problem is not how long GC 0w30 has been available commercially. The problem is 0w30-502.00 oil not being in the VW parts inventory system. I doubt VW has a part number for it yet.

At least with VW 508.00, it is cataloged, with a part number, G052577M2, which VW Parts can replenish and dealerships can order.

The problem is not how long the VR6 is on the market, since it VW uses the inferior "5w40" 502.00 oil, that you despise.

The problem is not how long GC 0w30 has been available commercially. The problem is 0w30-502.00 oil not being in the VW parts inventory system. I doubt VW has a part number for it yet.

At least with VW 508.00, it is cataloged, with a part number, G052577M2, which VW Parts can replenish and dealerships can order.

You expecting 0W30 as VW oil in dealerships? We will see.
Also, not sure how VW502.00 0W30 addresses mpg issues. HTHS is 3.5 and above. Not sure there is any gain in mpg there, especially with Castrol 0W30.
But, let's see what happens.
IMO, both Tiguan and Atlas are rushed to the U.S. market to get some rebound after dieselgate.

Also, not sure how VW502.00 0W30 addresses mpg issues. HTHS is 3.5 and above. Not sure there is any gain in mpg there, especially with Castrol 0W30.
IMO, both Tiguan and Atlas are rushed to the U.S. market to get some rebound after dieselgate.

Thanks to VW, maybe Castrol will make EDGE 0W-30 more available than it is currently and at a better price point. Hopefully Walmart begins stocking it again!

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46

Thanks to VW, maybe Castrol will make EDGE 0W-30 more available than it is currently and at a better price point. Hopefully Walmart begins stocking it again!

Highly doubt.

Just bought a 2018 Tig for my wife yesterday.....I have 5-6k miles to make a decision lol (Not doing 10k mile OCI's)

I noticed the 502 and 0w30 reference in the manual, but I guess I missed the 508 addendum although I knew about it while researching before buying the car. It will be nice to see some UOAs on this new version of the ea888 as people start putting miles on them.

Back