VW 508 Spec-0w20

VW lowered their warranty from 7 years to 4 years 50,000 miles. Apparently they don't think the engine will last on VW508...
Well whether that is exactly true or not it is correct that the engine will have less wear with a higher HT/HS oil such as 504 00 as well have increased resistance to fuel dilution.

Lets be honest, it’s also easier to get hold of Coca Cola.

That doesn’t mean you should put that in your engine.

My daughters Q2 runs great and has never had anything but 508 0w20 at oil change time.

It did have 1 litre of top up using 5w30 as allowed in the handbook when you can’t get 508/509

Never ran it for 18k miles or 2 years, always did an annual oil and filter change.

Hardly the most difficult oil to find and not exactly expensive since it will be in the engine for a year.

I don’t have a drive at our new house so had to get the garage that I use for tyres/brakes/alignment to do an oil and filter change.

Their parts supplier had the oil in the shelf.
I'm aware from your previous posts that you follow the owner's manual to a T and disagree that it is OK to run, in this case, a 504 in an engine that specs 508. I'm sure you have also been told at some point that often manuals for the same engine out of country allow for a wider variety of oil grades. I have no doubt that my engine would be fine on 508 given proper intervals, and I also have no doubt that there is nothing wrong with running 504. My primary reason for going to a 504 is getting an XW-30 for better protection against fuel dilution.

Pretty sure Biggie is across the pond where VWs run variable intervals based on oil quantity.

Be interesting to see what the redcoat manual says.

Back