Amsoil 5w-40 for VW 502 Application

@Pablo So based on this, the AFL wouldn’t be a good choice for my application despite having a higher kinetic viscosity at 100°C than EFM because it technically isn’t approved? That seems strange. Can you explain how Amsoil handles the “approved” vs “recommended” process?
That photo is usually what happens when generic “synthetic “ oil is used.
And what Q7? 3.6? 3.0T? 2.0T?

@Pablo So based on this, the AFL wouldn’t be a good choice for my application despite having a higher kinetic viscosity at 100°C than EFM because it technically isn’t approved? That seems strange. Can you explain how Amsoil handles the “approved” vs “recommended” process?
EFM is approved so that helps some folks who have a certain mental anguish.

Not sure what you mean by "handles"? By their own choice Amsoil will get some oils approved, typically early in a series. If Amsoil recommends an oil, they know t will work in that application.

I have no idea what happened in that photo, so I will not speculate.

For what it's worth, I run Amsoil Euro 5-40 in my s4 3.0t. Completely stopped a bit of chain rattle on startup, very minute. That was a relief. I also stopped getting timing pull between cylinders at wot. Can't explain why, it's just what happened.

Now I got a timing chain kit and all those special inverted tripple squares and tripple square sockets that I bought sitting on my work bench.

Right or wrong, I put little faith in certifications and qualifications of motor oil. Instead, I'd much rather know the additive package of the oil, the base stock, the TBN, the viscosity at various temperatures, the pour point, the HTHS and so on.

To many of us, it is pretty obvious that when using the manufacturer's spec, heck, even the oil they directly sell, and by following the OLM or published oil change intervals, one stands a non zero risk of a sludge'd up, varnished up, worn out timing chain, stuck piston ring experience, or some variant thereof.

My Jaguar has an 18,000 mile OCI, with a special 0W-20 Ti infused oil as an attempt at keeping the timing chain alive. You can imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth, when chains and bearings fail on these stupidly expensive engines. It comes as no surprise that a better choice is a more robust oil with adequate ZDDP, a healthy TBN, an HTHS well into the mid 3's and up, and 5000 mile oil change intervals.

Following the BMW requirements to the letter:

View attachment 175300

Again, I'd choose the oil with the better additive package, and likely the one with the higher HTHS.

VW is famous for strictly requiring a specific, non robust oil, the PD engines come to mind, then "allowing" oh, say, a 507.00 oil in future publications. After innumerable engines suffered unnecessary and predictable failures. A great number of us moved to Mobil 1, 5W-40 TDT in an attempt at using a more robust oil. Worked out very well.
100% correct brotha

Any of the Amsoil Euros will work just fine. I use the Euro 0w40......its a little thin at 13.3 at 100c, but its HTHS is still 3.7 so its got a great base stock. It's got a bit of ester as well. Another option is the SS 0w40. Its a little heavier at 14.8 at 100c, HTHS is 3.76......either way you'll be good, Amsoil does make a good product

Last edited:
Based on what? A random picture of unknown origin with no verifiable background information?

Comparing Amsoil EFM to AFL:

EFM has a kinematic viscosity @ 100°C of 13.6, with a HTHS of 3.7. Preferred pricing at $8.89/qt.

AFL has a kinematic viscosity @ 100°C of 14.3, with a HTHS of 3.8. Preferred pricing at $11.89/qt.

Is the slightly higher HTHS and viscosity worth the extra 34% in cost? Both EFM and AFL have a higher viscosity at 100°C compared to the Motul that’s currently in the engine so that’s a win regardless.

Comparing Amsoil EFM to AFL:

EFM has a kinematic viscosity @ 100°C of 13.6, with a HTHS of 3.7. Preferred pricing at $8.89/qt.

AFL has a kinematic viscosity @ 100°C of 14.3, with a HTHS of 3.8. Preferred pricing at $11.89/qt.

Is the slightly higher HTHS and viscosity worth the extra 34% in cost? Both EFM and AFL have a higher viscosity at 100°C compared to the Motul that’s currently in the engine so that’s a win regardless.
That won't make a bit of difference in this context.

For what it's worth, I run Amsoil Euro 5-40 in my s4 3.0t. Completely stopped a bit of chain rattle on startup, very minute. That was a relief. I also stopped getting timing pull between cylinders at wot. Can't explain why, it's just what happened.

Now I got a timing chain kit and all those special inverted tripple squares and tripple square sockets that I bought sitting on my work bench.
Which 5w-40 are you running? EFM or AFL?
Black or red label

While you can use either the low or higher SAPS Euro oils, I'd go with the one called for but that's me so EFM/5W40.

Attachments

• 20230829_145430.jpg
    20230829_145430.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 16
What year is this Q7? I'm partial to Liqui Moly. Fun fact: though my Audi doesn't mention this anywhere in the manual, on the oil cap is stamped "Castrol Recommended".

Back