MK7 Volkswagen GLI, change viscosity after tune?

Not sure new SP version. I think previous had Zinc above 900ppm. In Tiguan I have old version, and won’t do UOA. I bet somewhere has to be someone’s UOA or VOA of SP version.
Still seems like a bargain at $38 … have 5W30 next for the Lexus …

It is not clear from your post if you are using it on a track. (I would assume HPDE and not wheel to wheel racing.). If you are using it on track, if you are an experienced driver and the car will spend a lot of time at the upper end of the RPM band, I would consider a higher viscosity oil, but within the specs recommended by VW. If you know of other guys that have your set up, you should also talk to them. If no track use, stay with the specified viscosity from VW, which is 0w20. Extended track time is one case where some deviation from the spec may be warranted, as in my experience I would not be comfortable with that viscosity on track where if you know what you are doing the motor will be spending a good deal of time north of 5k rpm. Good luck and HTH.

It is not clear from your post if you are using it on a track. (I would assume HPDE and not wheel to wheel racing.). If you are using it on track, if you are an experienced driver and the car will spend a lot of time at the upper end of the RPM band, I would consider a higher viscosity oil, but within the specs recommended by VW. If you know of other guys that have your set up, you should also talk to them. If no track use, stay with the specified viscosity from VW, which is 0w20. Extended track time is one case where some deviation from the spec may be warranted, as in my experience I would not be comfortable with that viscosity on track where if you know what you are doing the motor will be spending a good deal of time north of 5k rpm. Good luck and HTH.

Realistically 0w20 doesn’t belong in these engines. Tuning it will bring quite a bit more power to it. IMO silly to run 0w20 it’s just a cafe oil. Yes 508 spec oil is good but it’s still a really low HTHS oil

Realistically 0w20 doesn’t belong in these engines. Tuning it will bring quite a bit more power to it. IMO silly to run 0w20 it’s just a cafe oil. Yes 508 spec oil is good but it’s still a really low HTHS oil
I am not a fan of CAFE induced oil recommendations either but if the manufacturer recommends a certain viscosity, there is a high bar in my mind in not following the recommendation - not in terms of actual risk of damage, but if there is a warranty claim - I recall VW has or had a long power train warranty.

508 spec has a specific additive (zirconium).... to protect some plastic parts inside the motor I guess
Well that's a new excuse for why one must use 508 00 or risk damaging the motor. Never heard that one before. I wonder how that works in countries where 508 00 approval isn't recommended for this motor?

Besides I thought it was vanadium? I'd love to hear how a metal ion protects plastic parts inside the motor.

Well that's a new excuse for why one must use 508 00 or risk damaging the motor. Never heard that one before. I wonder how that works in countries where 508 00 approval isn't recommended for this motor?

Besides I thought it was vanadium? I'd love to hear how a metal ion protects plastic parts inside the motor.
It sounds crazy, but there does appear to be a lot of potential for interaction between Zr compounds and polymers. I found many sources for using Zr based catalysts to break down plastics, but also this:

Zirconium compounds dispersed in polymers often bond the polymer molecules together, increasing their stability. This can generally be attributed to the formation of covalent bonds between zirconium atoms and small atoms of high electronegativity of the polymer molecule

I highly doubt this is what is happening since these plastics are already fully cured or polymerized. Probably just a marker but who knows.

Well since I make a living finding the ore containing zircon I should be set now.

It sounds crazy, but there does appear to be a lot of potential for interaction between Zr compounds and polymers. I found many sources for using Zr based catalysts to break down plastics, but also this:

I highly doubt this is what is happening since these plastics are already fully cured or polymerized. Probably just a marker but who knows.
Do you understand what it means when it mentions a zirconium compound that’s dispersed within a polymer and affects bonds, and when it might be present in a motor oil?

You mentioned when they’re fully polymerized. Why did you even post this?

The simple fact that this is not the only oil recommended for this engine tells you everything you need to know. The ongoing fabricated reasons for why an engine needs a specific oil seems to be endless.

Do you understand what it means when it mentions a zirconium compound that’s dispersed within a polymer and affects bonds, and when it might be present in a motor oil?

You mentioned when they’re fully polymerized. Why did you even post this?

The simple fact that this is not the only oil recommended for this engine tells you everything you need to know. The ongoing fabricated reasons for why an engine needs a specific oil seems to be endless.
We need motor oil bartending 😵‍💫

So which markets are cars specced for 508/509 in Europe or USA not specced for 508/509?

Which vehicles/engines?

So which markets are cars specced for 508/509 in Europe or USA not specced for 508/509?

Which vehicles/engines?
You can figure that out I think. There is zero technical reason why you need to use 508 00 approved oil. The vanadium tracer contributes nothing to polymer stability nor does the 20-grade contribute to proper operation nor engine longevity.

Keep trying, I am actually starting to be amused by the increasingly goofy reasons that come up.

Back