when there is no vw 508…

I keep a bottle of Castro 5w40 VW502 in the back of my GTI for topoffs, only because I think that the dealer is using that for changes. When I have changed it myself I have used Mobil 1 0w40, mostly because I rarely can find the 5qt Castrol 5w40 jug and buying by quart is stupidly priced in comparison. With more local driving I change the oil at 5k miles, where the VW specified interval is 10k. I still use the dealer for ease of warranty purposes every 10k miles for oil changes. I just don't like running oil beyond 7k miles and I'll likely make that the interval outside of warranty. I just make it 5k now because I don't want to wait until 10k to only do the dealer changes.
There are still dealers that use anything available in the EA888 Budak cycle. 5W40, 0W30, whatever they have at their disposal.

From a dealer’s perspective ETKA tells you to follow the maintenance table specification.

If you check ETKA for a 1.5 TFSI DADA it will give you 502,504,507,508,509

It even lists a 502 0w30 for Russian use.

If anyone wants to argue about an engine being designed to run any particular oil in one country vs another. Show me the oil pump part number for tye thinner oil vs the thicker oil. An engine designed for thinner oil will have a higher volume oil pump. Bearing clearances are tye same across the board, even engines which I've built from the 1950s have similar clearances to today's engines......

If anyone wants to argue about an engine being designed to run any particular oil in one country vs another. Show me the oil pump part number for tye thinner oil vs the thicker oil. An engine designed for thinner oil will have a higher volume oil pump. Bearing clearances are tye same across the board, even engines which I've built from the 1950s have similar clearances to today's engines......
AAAAND que conversation about PD oil pumps...

Toyota has same pump for 0W16 engines and markets where they allow 20W50 (Australia).
Larger volume doesn’t disqualify thicker oil. But smaller might disqualify thinner.
And what you said about clearances. I am wondering how these engines survive brutal cold in Canada etc. where some might not reach operating temperatures due to short commute.

Some people just really want there to be a technical/mechanical requirement for low viscosity oils. So much so that facts and basic physics are ignored.
True. In fact, VAG had to provide a patch for stalling issues in 2018 for a bunch of EA888 engines that they speced 0W-20 for BEFORE the higher volume oil pump was incorporated to allow the use of such a thin oil and still maintain sufficient pressure. BTW, the higher volume pump works just fine with "thicker" oils too.

True. In fact, VAG had to provide a patch for stalling issues in 2018 for a bunch of EA888 engines that they speced 0W-20 for BEFORE the higher volume oil pump was incorporated to allow the use of such a thin oil and still maintain sufficient pressure. BTW, the higher volume pump works just fine with "thicker" oils too.
Source, TSB #?

Source, TSB #?
You can start here:

They finally figured it was the low oil pressure causing the timing actuators to malfunction, hence the updated oil pumps.

An engine designed for thinner oil will have a higher volume oil pump.

Good point. I'd like to provide an example (more EA888 3G related):

My own Euro spec GTI Performance (engine code DLBA) was the very
first EA888 sitting in a GTI that is allowed to use 0W-20 (VW 508 00)
- back in 2017.
As a precautionary measure this engine came with an adapted chain/
gear ratio for its oil pump, perhaps some other details. As mentioned
and often repeated, running thinner oil COULD actually result in issues.

Either way Volkswagen still also allow for using VW 504 00 and 502 00
(incl 5W-40, perhaps even 10W-50 etc) on this DLBA.

VW ELSA Öl - Füllmengen & Spezifikationen bis Mj 2020 - Golf - 03.jpg

A WIDE variety is permitted, so it's a NON ISSUE!
:

(y)

You can start here:

They finally figured it was the low oil pressure causing the timing actuators to malfunction, hence the updated oil pumps.
Nothing whatsoever in that article about oil specification.

Back