when there is no vw 508…

And if you have an engine failure on an engine that requires 508/509 oil in the UK, I assume also the EU, and you haven’t been using 508/509 your warranty is invalid.

After several years with VW 508 00 as far as I know there is no single such case.
It's only scare tactics on many forums - or if you like panicmongering.

Your comment about HTHS. Literally all Euro approvals are based on HTHS requirements. In dealership they will stare blank at you, and not only about that, but HTHS is everything.

It’s a component of the approval, if it was all that mattered it’s all that would be mentioned.

It’s a component of the approval, if it was all that mattered it’s all that would be mentioned.
HTHS is hard for general public, mechanics to understand. It is mentioned where it matters, technical specifications for blenders.
Most European approvals are strictly based on HTHS without restrictions on grade. It is this CAFE junk that pushed manufacturers toward these water based oils.

My level had never really moved from it's middle mark and I am assuming it has a level sensor. So until that goes off it wouldn't even bother me.
Does anyone know if this is actually "a thing"?
I have a couple of vehicles that "use oil" and I never go below 1/2. I'd love to know if this is a thing as it would really put my mind at ease.

......I am assuming it has a level sensor.

Of course, yes. Any EA888 (3G etc) comes with that one, sitting in the oil pan:
Ölstands- und temperaturgeber.jpg

VW cannot mandate VW508.00 when some of their dealerships didn't even use the 0W-20 when it first came out. My first oil change with the Passat, they used 504, when it clearly stated VW508.00 underhood.

Yes, just because very most Audis (from A4 and up) lack the dipstick (but it's a VERY easy retrofit) and so they require to display the oil level on the infotainment (same at BMW and MB). Most (if not any?) Volkswagen models still come with a conventional dipstick.
These combined oil/level sensor are common for more than two decades, probably since late 90s. At least on any Euro spec Golf Mk4 and Mk5 incl GTI due to extended OCIs, while NA spec Mk4/5 (with conventinal OCI) used to forgo these sensors.

VW cannot mandate VW508.00 when some of their dealerships didn't even use the 0W-20 when it first came out. My first oil change with the Passat, they used 504, when it clearly stated VW508.00 underhood.
VAG specify only one oil for engines like the 1.5TFSi.

508/509

Nothing else with the exception of 1 litre of top up that you can do once during the OCI

Well, guess I hit some nerves with my "bad" advice. Mea culpa :rolleyes:. How bout this: Use whatever you please based on whatever makes you comfortable. Afraid VAG is gonna come break down your door if it senses you're using anything other than what they recommend and take their car back (at least while under warranty)?. Then better use it. If you are able to move past that and incorporate logical information in your decision to use something different? Then color outside the lines. One of the cool things we still get to do is make a choice. Doesn't hurt my feelings if you make the same choice as I do or not, and I think it's pretty clear I suck at coloring.

Bet some of y'all drive at the exact speed limit too and drives you crazy when the rest of the "maniacs" are going faster. Choices :D.

Ahhhhh, this thread reminds me why I don't buy VAG stuff any more!

My 1.8t us still being driven locally. Last I saw it with 350,000 miles on it. Guy took my advice and has never run anything other than Rotella T6 5w-40, and the big NAPA 1333 oil filter to add another 1 qt to capacity. Said he replaced 1 turbo, several timing belts, but never anything internal to engine. Still has original starter.

The last of the good old days....

Would 1/3 of a quart of even Super tech really make that much of a difference? If you desperately needed oil and that’s all you could use would you pass it up.

What’s the saying? “Oil is better than no oil?”

Yes, just because very most Audis (from A4 and up) lack the dipstick (but it's a VERY easy retrofit) and so they require to display the oil level on the infotainment (same at BMW and MB). Most (if not any?) Volkswagen models still come with a conventional dipstick.
These combined oil/level sensor are common for more than two decades, probably since late 90s. At least on any Euro spec Golf Mk4 and Mk5 incl GTI due to extended OCIs, while NA spec Mk4/5 (with conventinal OCI) used to forgo these sensors.
I had a "Euro" MkIV oil pan ready to go on my TDI w/ sensor, and a full FIS Cluster, Column switch, and some other odds & ends that I ended up selling once I got rid of the car. I was ready to go full baller Bora status. :ROFLMAO:

I keep a bottle of Castro 5w40 VW502 in the back of my GTI for topoffs, only because I think that the dealer is using that for changes. When I have changed it myself I have used Mobil 1 0w40, mostly because I rarely can find the 5qt Castrol 5w40 jug and buying by quart is stupidly priced in comparison. With more local driving I change the oil at 5k miles, where the VW specified interval is 10k. I still use the dealer for ease of warranty purposes every 10k miles for oil changes. I just don't like running oil beyond 7k miles and I'll likely make that the interval outside of warranty. I just make it 5k now because I don't want to wait until 10k to only do the dealer changes.

What happens if you do it twice?
Ask VAG, because it’s their engineers that made the recommendation

You could always ask them via Email.

But it might be something to do with the fact the engine was designed from the start to run on 508/509 oil….

Ask VAG, because it’s their engineers that made the recommendation

You could always ask them via Email.

But it might be something to do with the fact the engine was designed from the start to run on 508/509 oil….
It was not. EA888 was designed with VW504.00/507.00 in mind in the EU, and in the US it used VW502.00 bcs. high sulfur gas at that time.
0W20 is only in the last few years due to CAFE.

In addition, there is no engine "designed for." ENgines can run thin or thick oil. The question is how long, what are effects on it etc. For all purposes, you can run 20W60 Motul 300V Le Mans in that engine.

Also, you are saying to ask VW. Is that the same company that recommended in one vehicle (VW Atlas VR6) VW504.00/507.00 0W30, VW 502.00 in manual, and on cap just 5W40? Then in the same engine recommended only VW504.00/507.00 0W30, although per their technical bulletin VW 504.00/507.00 can be both 0W30 and 5W30.

Back