Say Goodbye to Supertech oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Collingwood
I remember them from the black can ST model numbers.

What will be the new cheap filter king?

I can’t think of any . I hope they still Carry st oil filter around here . Those are very decent oil filter . When I’m doing some cheap oil change . I always pick up st oil and st oil filter . Over the cheap orange can fram .

If you own a ford . Motorcraft is no brainer .

They sell very well at one of my local WalMarts that is in a lower income area. They are almost always out of stock for the more popular ones such as the Honda filter.

They likely aren't getting rid of them, only finding a different vendor who will make them even cheaper.

Originally Posted By: vwalburn
Saw this today also. Probably trying to get rid of old stock to do a package change/manufacturer change.

Truth. WM is switching suppliers and they're just cleaning up older stock. These are going back to Champ Labs...

Supertech sells fine in most stores so they are not going away...yet. Rotella isn't a hot seller though...that much is true.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
If going back to Champ Labs, does this mean a return to ecore design?

Yep. It will be ecore in construction.

Will they offer a two tier system with a non-ecore extended drain design filter like Champ XL construction for example in addition to the ecore?

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta

All priced at $2. Apparently Walmart is no longer gonna stock them from my understanding.
If you look in those boxes, you will find an OCD.

I was gonna say they are regular price here

until i went to the local walmart and they are clearing them out there as well for 2 bucks a piece.

so i bought the rest of the ST2s and a couple other filter sizes.

this kinda sucks cause it was my go to budget filter with decent construction.

makes me wonder if they are bringing a different brand to the table......or bringing Purolator's back.

guess we'll see.

Originally Posted By: Hannibal
If going back to Champ Labs, does this mean a return to ecore design?

Yep. It will be ecore in construction.

ah darn.

i noticed at the local fleet farm that they are switching some of the Defense filters to non-ecore which i like to see.

guess i'm gonna shy away from supertechs for now, that bums me out, really liked the cheap wix filters.

Originally Posted By: Hannibal
Originally Posted By: vwalburn
Saw this today also. Probably trying to get rid of old stock to do a package change/manufacturer change.

Truth. WM is switching suppliers and they're just cleaning up older stock. These are going back to Champ Labs...

Supertech sells fine in most stores so they are not going away...yet. Rotella isn't a hot seller though...that much is true.

I heard the same thing from their oil changers in two different Walmarts yesterday.

I went to Walmart today and all the ST filters were $2. The box says 95% @ 29 microns efficiency, multi pass I think. I wonder if they just couldn't bring themselves to advertise @ 30. Advertising psychology.

i can get wix pro tech filter for pretty cheap at oreilly's for less than 2.00 each doesn't make since to purchase them at walmart.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I went to Walmart today and all the ST filters were $2. The box says 95% @ 29 microns efficiency, multi pass I think. I wonder if they just couldn't bring themselves to advertise @ 30. Advertising psychology.

Might also help with one of the USCAR36 filter specs, a minimum efficiency of 95% @ 30 microns, for the admittedly rare customers who read their manuals and see the specs.

I found it interesting the spec was written so these installer grade filters manufactured by Wix squeak in under the wire. I'd like to see the data and reasoning that went into that element of the USCAR36 filter specs.

I found it interesting the spec was written so these installer grade filters manufactured by Wix squeak in under the wire. I'd like to see the data and reasoning that went into that element of the USCAR36 filter specs.

Money under the table from WIX to the USCAR36 council.
grin.gif

Will they offer a two tier system with a non-ecore extended drain design filter like Champ XL construction for example in addition to the ecore?

That would be up to Walmart. I'm sure Champ is willing to offer an upsell program, but shelf space is always a constraint and it all depends on what WM wants at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Maybe they are clearing out excess or aging warehouse stock, maybe they will not sell any more of their own filters, maybe they will sell TLE filters, maybe it is just a sale price, maybe M&H the new owners of Wix, were not being compliant to WM's rules. Or maybe WM is going for better packaging like plastic clamshells to deter switching Ultras into ST boxes. When the last ST's by Champ went away it was years before the new ones appeared, not sure how many years.

So we can get Ultras on sale for $2 at WM now, if we want?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back