Does Where Oil Filters are Made Matter?

I recently placed an order for my 2021 Silverado's oil change. Amsoil SS 0W20 and the EAO17 oil filter. While I was at it, I decided to order a couple EAO24s for my 565 big block. Seeing as Champion makes the filters for Fram's Endurance and Amsoil, I figured the filters would all be made in America, but apparently not. The EAO17 for my truck is made in the USA, but the filters for my big block are made in Mexico. There aren't any apparent differences between the American made EAO17 and the Mexican EAO24, but it raises the question of quality to me.

The EAO24s costed $23.25 each with the PC subscription, which is a rather high price for a product that was made out of country to save money on production. I'm on the fence about returning them or using them.

This is the same line of thinking that applies to *anything* these days. It's not about where it is made, it's about the QA/QC process and how the manufacturer / purchaser directs the manufacturing quality of the part being built.

I've had plenty of stuff from non-US manufacturing do better that parts made in the US. I no longer consider the country of origin as a marker of quality.

These are modern plants untouched by humans. They are not pounded out by guys wearing sombreros the curb.
I wasn't trying to insinuate anything, I'm just not aware of the facilities they have down there. I know Mexico has been expanding quite a bit in the automotive industry, I was just hoping for some insight into overall production quality compared to American made filters.

We're a global market & there have been excellent made products from Mexico. What you can do is use them then cut up to compare to draw a conclusion as to which filter has better quality for your money.

My VW AllTrack was built in Mexico. Best fit and finish I have ever had in a car. After seven years, car has NEVER had any warranty work and only routine maintenance has been done. Not a thing wrong with Made in Mexico.
I suppose I should have considered this as well, since my Truck was assembled there too. Not one problem, don't even have the lifter issue with my 5.3

There are about three steps in making widgets:

1) Make a prototype, start an assembly line at HQ you can watch over, get it right.

2) Move the line somewhere where labor is cheap, have a few of your guys watch the process and ensure quality.

3) Milk your good name for all it's worth while cheapening the process/ product as well.

You don't usually get to (3) without stopping at (2).

My Nikon DSLR is made in China, but the first ones were made in Japan, for example. You also see this with iPhones and everything else.

This being a "scientific" forum, dissect your suspect filter and see if it's holding up with your expectations.

For me, it’s about a delta.

When I saw OE Nissan oil filters (forum always said only get 9E’s) went to China, I switched to WIX. 20 years ago.

When I saw Mann go to Mexico, I switched to solely Mahle and Hengst. Now those changed, but I don’t need a filter right now.

It isn’t about the country of origin, but that production or ownership changed, from what I used to use or have on hand.

Hey we’re humans so we think about things, rationally or not…

1) For comparison, what's the EO017 cost you?
2) Given you're buying a boutique oil filter, you're subject to a possible additional layer of 'whim' pricing.
3) If there's one thing I've learned here it's that oil filters' QCC (Quality Control Consistency) is a moving target.
the fact that you are being charged a made in USA price for an item made in Mexico that's the real issue here.
BINGO (in my opinion) Remember the garment industry ads showing identical garments with the same price and differing COOs?

1) For comparison, what's the EO017 cost you?
2) Given you're buying a boutique oil filter, you're subject to a possible additional layer of 'whim' pricing.
3) If there's one thing I've learned here it's that oil filters' QCC (Quality Control Consistency) is a moving target.

BINGO (in my opinion) Remember the garment industry ads showing identical garments with the same price and differing COOs?
EAO17 was $14.80. The 24 shouldn't cost so much being made in Mexico. Only reason I can see a reason for costing more is it being larger and probably not a big production item, but it's still a high price.

Always interesting what a new poster makes as their first post.

Is your concern limited to Amsoil or does it extend to the myriad of other manufacturers as well? You note you wanted “made in America”. Mexico is in North America for what it’s worth.

Always interesting what a new poster makes as their first post.

Is your concern limited to Amsoil or does it extend to the myriad of other manufacturers as well? You note you wanted “made in America”. Mexico is in North America for what it’s worth.
Quite interesting that I'm here to learn something.

Others as well, I'm just talking about Amsoil because this is the first time I've seen a foreign made filter from them since I started using their products in 2016.

I figured you'd know I was talking about the United States.

Sacrifice a sample and cut it open to show us the difference of internal build quality of the filter, OP.

The producer's brand and reputation and by extension culture of quality far, far outweigh country of origin with regards to quality.

Any advanced country, and for this discussion, by advanced I mean significant players in the global economy, have the capability to produce world class goods. Now some local cultures may be more or less focused on excellence and what one is willing to be seen as producing quality wise, but with adequate controls and rewards, all are capable. If the manufacturer invests in the infrastructure and processes to produce, verify and deliver a good product, that is what they and us will receive, if not.....

America produces great products as well as utter crap, same with China, same with most other countries. Generally, you get what you pay for...

Back