Interesting RockAuto filter problem

So I started buying the filters I frequently use in packs of 12, as ordering them individually from Amazon or Walmart seemed to result in a lot of dented filters bouncing around in incorrectly packed plastic shipping bags, and time wasted returning them.

I ordered 12 Champ PH2867XL filters from RockAuto. The price was good, they seem like a good filter, and they would fit the 3 Hondas I service for my family members.

The filters showed up in 2 separate boxes. The first box contained 6 filters that seemed correct, although it is clear they have a nitrile ADBV instead of a silicone which is a bit annoying. The second box of 6 filters is clearly different. Even though they are in the same boxes, with the same sticker, they are clearly sized different with different threads. The date codes on them give it away, since one clearly says PH2867XL, while the other says HP4477, which is apparently a PH4386 sized filter. If it was just a PH6607 sized filter and would still fit Hondas I would be annoyed but wouldn't complain, but these won't even fit the cars I bought them for. 😵‍💫 I e-mailed RockAuto, so we will see what they say, but just proves once again you never know what you will receive when ordering.

IMG_0158.jpg
IMG_0159.jpg
IMG_0160.jpg
IMG_0161.jpg
IMG_0162.jpg
IMG_0163.jpg

I’ve never emailed RA. I usually go to the Order Status and Returns page when something like this happens. See what happens with the email, but if you don’t hear back, get yourself over to the right section of the RA webpage to get this resolved. Have had 95% satisfaction going that route.

Interesstingly these fit my Nissan's and I was going to order some more. Maybe I will not? The last ones did come with a Nitrile ADBV.

Champion labs specs from their website are pretty vague. Seems they can be either 2.75 or 3.5 inches - which seems like BS to me. The shorter can looks a lot like the 2876XL - which is the Nissan "short Can" so similar specs except 2.75 inches long, Nissan allows it as an alternate but its really spec'd for their smaller engines. Seems like a cop out by First Brands.

Very strange.

On to Hengst / Denso or whatever I guess.

1707527116641.jpg

Yeah they ripped me off a while back when I ordered the "good Wix" (with silicone ADBV) and they cross-referenced it to a cheaper one with nitrile. Lesson learned, only get the super cheap ones from RA.

So what are we left with.

Can't buy @ RA because who knows what you might get per above.

Can't buy at Amazon because they comingle 3rd party sellers with their own?

Walmart has limited brand options.

Auto parts store down the road wants 10 bucks for Jobber filter and has limited inventory anyway. Suppose you can order?

Ideas?

My issue with my Wix was I got the "private label clearance" instead of regular. I'm confident regular would be fine. But my wallet loves a sale.

The replies mention consolidating part numbers, etc...but the OP said the threads are different, and these filters won't even fit his vehicle.
This is 100% my issue.

I understand part number consolidation, and if the shorter filters were just the shorter version of the original sized filter, fine. The threads are different and judging by the stamped code it is a completely different filter. Yes, this is a Champ labs problem because the label and box clearly don't match the actual filter and application. I confirmed the threads are 3/4-16 on the shorter filter and M20 on the taller one as they should be.

So what are we left with.

Can't buy @ RA because who knows what you might get per above.

Can't buy at Amazon because they comingle 3rd party sellers with their own?

Walmart has limited brand options.

Auto parts store down the road wants 10 bucks for Jobber filter and has limited inventory anyway. Suppose you can order?

Ideas?

I still roll the dice with RockAuto. Price is right and at least you'll get authentic parts. The after sales service is mostly adequate from my experience. Amazon is a bit riskier with counterfeits, but at least returns are painless.

Still have to perform due diligence with both retailers.

I had a similar issue last year with a clearance filter and I just ate it because it only cost $1.xx. Recently I have bought a bunch of Ecogards on sale at walmart.com and all of these have been perfect. If, in the future, the prduct is bad the return desk is only a half mile from home. I prefer in-person returns.

I had a similar issue last year with a clearance filter and I just ate it because it only cost $1.xx. Recently I have bought a bunch of Ecogards on sale at walmart.com and all of these have been perfect. If, in the future, the prduct is bad the return desk is only a half mile from home. I prefer in-person returns.
I got one of those ecogard's from the third party Walmart seller and it does look good, but I don't like Made in China if I can avoid. I know - beggars can't be choosers.

Wow! Totally mislabeled? I've ordered a few 6 packs of that same champ XL filter for my Nissans. They've all had the black ADBV. I cut open every one of them after use. Never any inconsistencies.

Agree on the COO but the QC appears to be better than some American manufacturers. I have yet to hear of a defective Ecogard.
Agreed.

I like the ecogard synthetic because it has a silicon ADBV and holes. The regular ecogard looks really good for the price also, but is nitrile. Both are very heavy if you prefer a heavier can which also has more threads - something I like.

I have both a Denso and Hengst (poland build) that both look really good but their Nitrile also - both in the same size the OP is looking for as well.

I have a Pentius on the truck now - looks really good but Amazon jacked the price, and I am hesitant to buy from there as well.

I think I am done with First Brands, although I will check my local Walmart next trip and buy any Supertech Synthetic they have left - essentially the PH2867XL above except with a Silicon ADBV.

Back