Does Where Oil Filters are Made Matter?

It's for my 79 Camaro that the 565 is going in. FS5/XG5 were the highest tier ones listed on the website. I was using a 90 3500 truck w/ 454 on the filter finder
Did you check any Advance Auto Parts for the FS5? Still might be some wire-backed ones around. If you're just going to use a high efficiency filter for break-in on the dyno, then the FS5 or XG5 are both 99% @>20u.

Did you check any Advance Auto Parts for the FS5? Still might be some wire-backed ones around. If you're just going to use a high efficiency filter for break-in on the dyno, then the FS5 or XG5 at both 99% @>20u.
Only places I've checked so far are an O'Reilly's and AutoZone near me to see if they had any USA made Wix 51061s left over, didn't see too many Fram Ultras on their shelves and no FS5s. I'll be out and about tomorrow before hell freezes over here in DFW, so I'll put it on my to-do list.

point of origin has little to no bearing these days. Its all about program goals, and profit margins.

if a company wants to maximize profit, they can make some really bad products in even the best counties of the world, and vice versa. Denso can make some pricey oe filters, but then turn around and make some bad ftf oil filters.

The Fram Titanium is only sold at Advance Auto Parts, just like the Fram Endurance is only sold at Walmart.
Went to an Advance and bought the last two FS5s they had on the shelf. Box said made in USA. When I got home, I took my borescope and looked inside the filters. Both have the metal backing on the element, looks like I got lucky. I'll probably go to another Advance later to look for more.

Unfortunately the parts manufacturers chart was unsupported by this website … but it’s quite exhaustive (sorry) 😷
PS: keep quiet about aerospace components …

View attachment 198082View attachment 198083

I distinctly remember an older guy with big ears from a very large state saying, “ we are going to hear a sucking sound with a lot of jobs going etc “….

He was spot on with that.

Greed for higher profits or to maintain profits has always been the big driver to make products in other countries, and it's been going on for decades.

We're a global market & there have been excellent made products from Mexico. What you can do is use them then cut up to compare to draw a conclusion as to which filter has better quality for your money.
I think the OP prefers 'Made in USA' products in a patriotic way and I certainly agree with him. The Mexican made product is most likely just as good as American made but the Mexican made product is most likely much cheaper to make so why does it cost the same? Most likely the CEO and management are benefiting financially while American workers are not. Ross Perot was exactly right about NAFTA.

I think the OP prefers 'Made in USA' products in a patriotic way and I certainly agree with him. The Mexican made product is most likely just as good as American made but the Mexican made product is most likely much cheaper to make so why does it cost the same? Most likely the CEO and management are benefiting financially while American workers are not. Ross Perot was exactly right about NAFTA.
That's definitely a part of it. I want to support American workers wherever I can, but it's mostly unavoidable because of globalization. I've learned a thing or two in this thread in regards to not all foreign made items being bad because they're made there, but for me it comes down to pride in country and wanting Americans to be able to support their families. There's always a negative connection of moving anything from the USA to other countries, no CEO moves production elsewhere for anything else except profit margins, even if it means screwing over people from putting food on their family's tables and even sacrificing product quality while still charging the same price.

That's definitely a part of it. I want to support American workers wherever I can, but it's mostly unavoidable because of globalization. I've learned a thing or two in this thread in regards to not all foreign made items being bad because they're made there, but for me it comes down to pride in country and wanting Americans to be able to support their families. There's always a negative connection of moving anything from the USA to other countries, no CEO moves production elsewhere for anything else except profit margins, even if it means screwing over people from putting food on their family's tables and even sacrificing product quality while still charging the same price.
For public companies, Management's obligation is return to the shareholders, via direction from the BoD, through those profits and long-term value. Call it greed if you will but it is our job. Feeding into this is that we, America, have become a very expensive and excessively regulated place to manufacture, oftentimes driving the cost of simple operations well beyond their true value by any reasonable measure.

Having worked on then led several outsourcing and offshoring initiatives, I can say no one I ever worked with took it lightly, for me it was truly awful, but was the right thing to do for the company and to your point unavoidable.

Back to the core topic, I will say that the only two defective filters I ever came across were US made; Fram and Champ. The Fram had several large and inexcusable burrs on the threads and the Mobil 1 had a grossly misplaced ADBV, however by the nature of the fleet, I tend to only use filters from a few, quality mostly German manufacturers.

Last edited:
Back