Supply Chain Observations For Oil Filter Cartridges

Good Morning,
This topic was a spin off (off topic) within a different thread so I decided to start a new one.

Getting close to doing an oil change on my 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I've standardized on Fram oil filters for their performance, availability, value and made in USA for my vehicles. Today I discovered the following on various filter cartridges for my Grand Cherokee at my local Walmart;

Fram
FE11665 Endurance - Made in China
XG11665 Ultra Syn. - Made in Brazil
TG11665 Tough Guard - Made in Brazil
CH11665 Extra Guard - Made in Brazil

Mobil M1C-456A - Made in South Korea

Mopar MO-349 - Made in USA
SuperTech ST11995- Made in USA (the ST11665 was out of stock)

I found the Mopar looked the best with the most pleats and the SuperTech looked identical to it! In the picture, the Mopar is on the left, the Fram Tough Guard on the right. When the SuperTech 11665 is in, I'll compare it to the Mopar. If very similar I'm going with the SuperTech because the performance specs are on the package.

Attachments

• 20230823_084552.jpg
    20230823_084552.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 40
Use the Endurance because it has a wire-backed media cartridge that should be stronger. The Pentastar filters like to twist in service, even on the Ultra and Boss that have plastic mesh.

FWIW, the Mopar is or was made by Hengst.

The metal backing isn't for torsional rigidity, it's for prevent the filter from tearing. It's still going to twist a bit when you torque the filter assembly on.

The metal is too thin to provide a significant amount of torsional rigidity

I wish someone had posted a used Wix XP or Napa Platinum for this application so we could see how it held up :cautious:

I can't find any on this site, but if you know of one, send me the link

I use the Mopar ones in the 2014 T&C for 8-9.5K OCI as indicated by the EVIC. They are the best of the ones I have tried Wix, K&N, AC Delco etc. They are easily found at WalMart as well.

Just my $0.02

I use the Mopar ones in the 2014 T&C for 8-9.5K OCI as indicated by the EVIC. They are the best of the ones I have tried Wix, K&N, AC Delco etc. They are easily found at WalMart as well.

Just my $0.02
Hi Tnt_motorsports,
Good to hear an endorsement on the Mopar MO-349. I liked the number of fine pleats on it and USA made. Plus you run it on a longer OCI than I.

Thank you.

Back