New 2023 Corolla and 0W-8 oil

So I just bought a gas 2023 Corolla with the 2.0 as a commuter. Toyota calls for 0W-8 oil for this. I’m fairly certain they made a change within the last month or so from 0W-16. I do my own oil changes and sourcing OW-8 seems about impossible. The manual does say you can use 0W-16 but it must be changed to 0W-8 at the next change. My wife has a camry that calls for 0W-16 and I would like to use the same oil in both. I’m aware of the car care nuts videos stating that these dynsmic farce engines need the oil grades Toyota calls for, and I believe there are threads here disparaging his claims.

I’m all about giving my vehicles the best protection. Does the Corolla really need this pathetic water oil, or is it just for CAFE standards and to get .1 better MPG? I doubt they would have made a mechanical change mid-year that would necessitate the lighter grade, or would they? Should I go even heavier for both vehicles at 0W-20? At least then I’d have way more options.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I’m all about giving my vehicles the best protection. Does the Corolla really need this pathetic water oil, or is it just for CAFE standards and to get .1 better MPG? I doubt they would have made a mechanical change mid-year that would necessitate the lighter grade, or would they? Should I go even heavier for both vehicles at 0W-20? At least then I’d have way more options.

This is predictable.

Doesn’t Toyota offer oil changes for your new Corolla? I would check with the dealership.

You’ll be fine with 0w16. You can even run 0w20. There won’t be any problems.

Your Toyota doesn’t really need 0w8. It’s all about CAFE. But for warranty reasons, I would just stick to 0w8. A dealership will do anything to void your warranty, so just use the recommended 0w8 until your warranty expires. Your engine can run on any oil, but it will be fine with 0w8.

ezgif-3-e7f281373f.gif

😁😁😁

They do offer free changes but I don’t plan on using them. Not worth the hassle.

Make sure you document the oil changes including keeping the receipts for the specified oil. I date and timestamp photos of the odometer with my receipts as well and have been told by each manufacturer this is adequate. Alfa Romeo demanded my full receipts for a warranty claim and ended up approving it because I had them. They denied two other guys on the forums who didn't have them. 35 grand each for an engine

Back