2023 Toyota Corolla

if my car use a 0w-20 Amsoil ss would be fine or if concerned about the cafe thing,a 0w-8 as owners book indicates ,at 5k changes.possibly longer when more broke in,how many miles on car?,,

Do these have the variable oil pump like the 2.5 in the Camry/Rav's that require 0w16? Might want to think twice before deviating from what the OEM recommends...

Yes, not very BITOG like, but something to think of.
It has been hashed out before… The A25A & M20A oil pumps do not “require” nor are “calibrated for” any particular oil. There is no evidence that suggests the oil pump design is different based on different regions or as the oil recommendations change.

The oil pump can handle the viscosity changes from 40c to 100c, so why could it not handle the viscosity changes between different grades, which are significantly less?

It has been hashed out before… The A25A & M20A oil pumps do not “require” nor are “calibrated for” any particular oil. There is no evidence that suggests the oil pump design is different based on different regions or as the oil recommendations change.

The oil pump can handle the viscosity changes from 40c to 100c, so why could it not handle the viscosity changes between different grades, which are significantly less?

Good Lord that's a good bit of good information!

I remember when using 5w30 in a vehicle that called for Xw20 oil was a big no, no from so many BITOGers.
It’s interesting to see the change in opinion. Using thicker now seems to be OK.
You made a quantum jump in climate relocation Kris...... Canada to Texas.
Thin oil n Canada. Thick in Texas.
If you travel back to Canada to visit relatives, lets us know how the Texas Cowboy boots with heel spurs walk in the snow.

This Topic has already been discussed ad nauseum.

read this thread:

note: The one thing I noticed on VOA was the TGMO in the light grades have abundant moly.
I would stick exclusively with that option if it was my car.

- Ken
Because that thin oil needs it to do the job :ROFLMAO:

I have 122,000 miles of experience with this engine-grade combination.
The oil is High Performance Lubricants Premium Plus 0W8.
The results are nothing short of spectacular.
OP, you are invited to have a look at my UOA threads.

I help maintain a Corolla with the M20A engine and use Kirkland 0w20 (ie whatever the cheapest 0w20 is). The last time I went down the 0w8 rabbit hole, I recall reading that a specific molybdenum additive pack was necessary for the 0w8 to achieve the same protection as the target 0w20 oil. The move to 0w8 seems to coincide with increasing CAFE targets, as only 0w16 or 0w20 were specified for this engine at launch. I'm sure 0w8 will outlast the warranty though.

For what it's worth, the G16E in the GR Yaris and Corolla specify 0w20 GF-6A only.

I have 122,000 miles of experience with this engine-grade combination.
The oil is High Performance Lubricants Premium Plus 0W8.
The results are nothing short of spectacular.
OP, you are invited to have a look at my UOA threads.
Your use case, doing 122k miles in two years, is not an average use case and it is pretty much the easiest duty cycle an oil can see. And on top of that you live in one of the best climates too.

Your use case, doing 122k miles in two years, is not an average use case and it is pretty much the easiest duty cycle an oil can see. And on top of that you live in one of the best climates too.
True.
I will let BITOG know if anything ever goes wrong.
My strong preference for OP would be HPL PP 0W8 over anything else, and in any climate or driving conditions...outside of towing of course.

Speaking of best climates, don't forget that since it's warmer where he lives compared to a lot of other states that also helps to show that 0w16 can handle warmer temperatures too. So people in colder areas can definitely rest easier if they're running 0w16 with that information.

Speaking of best climates, don't forget that since it's warmer where he lives compared to a lot of other states that also helps to show that 0w16 can handle warmer temperatures too. So people in colder areas can definitely rest easier if they're running 0w16 with that information.
Good point, but it is also dependent on how hot that oil runs.
In my grand Caravan, sitting in heavy traffic and with 110f outside temps, my oil temp is 195-200f. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it go above 200f.
Once I start moving it drops to low 190s.

I wonder how hot the oil runs in these Corollas.

Good point, but it is also dependent on how hot that oil runs.
In my grand Caravan, sitting in heavy traffic and with 110f outside temps, my oil temp is 195-200f. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it go above 200f.
Once I start moving it drops to low 190s.

I wonder how hot the oil runs in these Corollas.
“The nominal temperature of the thermostat opening is 80-84°C - so the new engines in Toyota's best traditions remained "cold"
keeping this great advantage over the "hot" engines of the European makers.” Another design factor that helps reduce cylinder and bore wear is the offset crankshaft.

I know for certain my m20fxs never gets that hot even on my 46 mile commute at 92 degrees yesterday, mixed hwy and lots of stop and go i35 parking lot.

“The nominal temperature of the thermostat opening is 80-84°C - so the new engines in Toyota's best traditions remained "cold"
keeping this great advantage over the "hot" engines of the European makers.” Another design factor that helps reduce cylinder and bore wear is the offset crankshaft.

I know for certain my m20fxs never gets that hot even on my 46 mile commute at 92 degrees yesterday, mixed hwy and lots of stop and go i35 parking lot.

This is exactly the point I have tried to make around here.

Toyota has come up with numerous measures designed to reduce engine temperatures, eg coolant jackets around cylinders.

On my Corolla Cross the air flow at the front grille is very minimal, to wit, four fifths of the grates are completely closed off by plastic.

My extensive experience and data shows that the legendary durability synonymous with the term "Toyota Corolla" will be sustained with usage of 0W8 here, especially with the highest quality 0W8 available.

Back