2023 VB WRX - Subaru has conflicting oil recommendations!

Hi All,

Been enjoying the new WRX.! Now, let's talk oil. Mine came with an oil cap that reads 0W-20, as is the case for the rest of North America from what I hear.
Here's where it gets interesting, the manual says 0W-20 is REQUIRED for "optimum engine performance and protection", but the WARRANTY booklet says 5W-30 is REQUIRED for all 2023 WRX and STI models. Please see attached photos I took myself from my very own Warranty Book. I have also included screenshot of the WRX owners manual for 2023 (it matches what my printed manual says).

2023 Subaru Warranty Book 1.jpg

2023 Subaru Warranty Book 2.jpg

2023 WRX Owners Manual.jpg

Also interesting:
My factory fill UOA seems to confirm 20 weight oil: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/2023-subaru-wrx-factory-fill-and-1st-change-uoas.376910/

Whaddya think? I have run 0W-20 so far but the car will get Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 at next change, just in time for warmer temps in spring. Armed with this, I don't believe any dealer could ever turn down warranty service on a car with receipts for 5W-30.

EDIT: This is a Canadian car.

Looks like you could use either and both meets the required specs for the wrx and sti models. 0w20 factory fill probably to satisfy cafe if the vehicle was randomly selected for a test pig or it’s just assembled and filled like any other Subaru down the line.

SUBARU OWNERs WANT YOU TO DO THIS ONE THING AND IT'S DISGUSTING

Last edited:
Subaru is known for having worse owners manuals than the average Chinese 300$ generator.

They convert it from another language every 10 years and use ai translate to update it in between.?!?

the "5w30 conventional can be used to top up" why not 5w30 syn.. its been common for 20+ years.

I'd run 5w30 in it. Those 2.4L TGDI engines run rich= fuel dilution=thinning oil. If you track it.. 5w40.

Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30.

Is this an API SP oil? I was under the impression the SP oils were pretty important for LSPI. How much does it matter?

What about the 5w-30 version of this? Having a quick look they are both about 12 Cst at 100C. It's unclear on their web site about SP rating, might have to look at some jugs in store.

Are there any other Euro oils that are API SP?

I have a jug of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30 going in hopefully this weekend. I know it's a bit on the thinner side but better than 0w-20.
I was looking at thicker 5W-30's that are commonly available in my area that are affordable, and it looks like Quaker State Full Syn 5W-30 is the thickest of the non-Euro synthetic offerings, at 11.6 Cst.

I will probably try this when the summer heat arrives. The WRX has oil temp monitor, and right now it always lives below 100C. In the summer, not so much, I've seen 110C +

What's the thickest SP 5W-30 guys?

I have a jug of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30 going in hopefully this weekend. I know it's a bit on the thinner side but better than 0w-20.
I was looking at thicker 5W-30's that are commonly available in my area that are affordable, and it looks like Quaker State Full Syn 5W-30 is the thickest of the non-Euro synthetic offerings, at 11.6 Cst.

I will probably try this when the summer heat arrives. The WRX has oil temp monitor, and right now it always lives below 100C. In the summer, not so much, I've seen 110C +

What's the thickest SP 5W-30 guys?
0W-40 sp oils are the thickest 5W-30 oils on the market.

Hi All,

Been enjoying the new WRX.! Now, let's talk oil. Mine came with an oil cap that reads 0W-20, as is the case for the rest of North America from what I hear.
Here's where it gets interesting, the manual says 0W-20 is REQUIRED for "optimum engine performance and protection", but the WARRANTY booklet says 5W-30 is REQUIRED for all 2023 WRX and STI models. Please see attached photos I took myself from my very own Warranty Book. I have also included screenshot of the WRX owners manual for 2023 (it matches what my printed manual says).

View attachment 201575

View attachment 201576

View attachment 201577

Also interesting:
My factory fill UOA seems to confirm 20 weight oil: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/2023-subaru-wrx-factory-fill-and-1st-change-uoas.376910/

Whaddya think? I have run 0W-20 so far but the car will get Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 at next change, just in time for warmer temps in spring. Armed with this, I don't believe any dealer could ever turn down warranty service on a car with receipts for 5W-30.

EDIT: This is a Canadian car.
I read it as 0W20 applies to all except WRX & WRX STI where 5W30 applies.

Is this an API SP oil? I was under the impression the SP oils were pretty important for LSPI. How much does it matter?

What about the 5w-30 version of this? Having a quick look they are both about 12 Cst at 100C. It's unclear on their web site about SP rating, might have to look at some jugs in store.

Are there any other Euro oils that are API SP?
There are currently two 0W-30 oil being offered by Mobil for the NA market ( https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants.../our-products/motor-oils/synthetic-motor-oils ). One is Mobil 1 AFE (Advanced Fuel Economy) and Mobil 1 ESP (Emission System Protection) with the ESP being the better of the two. Both oil meets the SP requirement and with our engine being a turbocharged direct injection engine, the ESP oil is more suited for it. Of course, you can use oil from other brands that meets your criteria, I recommend Mobil 1 because it is my preferred brand and I am most familiar with. As for why 0W-30 instead of 0W-20 or 5W-30, my reasoning is simple, 0W-30 covers the entire range of both grades, sort of speak.

Back