0w-30/5w-30 in a 2024 crosstrek and subaru timing chains

I know its been talked about a lot but my new 2024 crosstrek calls for 0w-16 or a in a pinch 0w-20. I changed the factory oil out at 1,300 miles and put in 0w-20.

I Know the recommendation for thinner oils in owners manuals is usually CAFE related and I want to to put 0w-30 in but ive been told subarus do better with thinner oil because of subarus timing chains.

I know the turbocharged subarus recommend 5w-30 and I cant imagine any tighter clearances between the 4 cylinder NA engines and the turbocharged 6 cylinder engines. But I dont know. The car is under warranty. A technician at the dealership said 0w-30 is fine.

Would it be wise to switch to 0w-30? my concern is the effect of thicker oil on the timing chains.

I know its been talked about a lot but my new 2024 crosstrek calls for 0w-16 or a in a pinch 0w-20. I changed the factory oil out at 1,300 miles and put in 0w-20.

I Know the recommendation for thinner oils in owners manuals is usually CAFE related and I want to to put 0w-30 in but ive been told subarus do better with thinner oil because of subarus timing chains.

I know the turbocharged subarus recommend 5w-30 and I cant imagine any tighter clearances between the 4 cylinder NA engines and the turbocharged 6 cylinder engines. But I dont know. The car is under warranty. A technician at the dealership said 0w-30 is fine.

Would it be wise to switch to 0w-30? my concern is the effect of thicker oil on the timing chains.
Thicker oil would help the timing chains survive, not hurt them. If you want to use an Xw30, feel free to do so but it’s not needed.

And it seems like you’re new to the Subaru family, so here’s a tidbit: Subaru has never sold a turbocharged 6 cylinder in the US. All the WRX/STis (and Baja, Outback, Legacy, and Forester) have been 4 cylinder turbos. Welcome to the club 👍🏻

I agree with Rogue!
Besides.... most of the 0w30s out there are Euro flavored. That means they are thick.

Why would you even consider going from a 7'ish cst@100 in 0w16 to a 12'ish cst@100 in 0w30?

Whatever happened to trying 8-9-10-11csts first? Don't make a big jump like that on a new car. Not unless you have some-sort of evidence the 0w16s or 0w20s aren't working.

I would find myself a good, name-brand 0w20 and enjoy my brand new Subie ... for a couple years anyways.
Then re-evaluate. Or re-evaluate should you decide to race-track it..... or haul three 600lb TV Reality Show stars, that can't sit still for the long ride to their favorite restaurants..

I agree with Rogue!
Besides.... most of the 0w30s out there are Euro flavored. That means they are thick.

Why would you even consider going from a 7'ish cst@100 in 0w16 to a 12'ish cst@100 in 0w30?

Whatever happened to trying 8-9-10-11csts first? Don't make a big jump like that on a new car. Not unless you have some-sort of evidence the 0w16s or 0w20s aren't working.

I would find myself a good, name-brand 0w20 and enjoy my brand new Subie ... for a couple years anyways.
Then re-evaluate. Or re-evaluate should you decide to race-track it..... or haul three 600lb TV Reality Show stars, that can't sit still for the long ride to their favorite restaurants..
yes sir, many stout 0W20's out there.

I lost my OCD a bit since I don't have brand new warranty covered vehicles. When I did it would be Castrol Edge and Mobil 1. Don't get me wrong if I get it priced right I will still use it. I recently found a new love in the Pennzoil Platinum and ultra if you wanted to spend the super size fry money.

my oil choice in a new vehicle would be Castrol Edge, Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum/ultra. now its sale specials, NAPA Synthetic or Super tech.

You used the word I know a lot....sounds like you already have the answer..... :D

Can you please provide actual timing chain test data to support your statement?

ASTM/STLE papers on evaluating timing chain wear. While they rarely reference outright viscosity increases (can’t have 0w16 for CAFE goals if you openly say durability suffers!) they do make many references to the changing lubrication regimes, which goes back to Cujet’s comment: when there’s insufficient viscosity/MOFT because the oil is too thin, lubricants must rely on chemical assistance to provide protection. Again, Cujet stated it pretty darn simply: clean 30 grade oil is one of the simplest, cheapest ways to support long timing chain life.

This MDPI link is on fuel/lubricant interactions and I’m including it because it covers a really wide range of topics and interactions that we don’t normally see all in a single paper:

I'm using 0w-20 ⬇️ in mine because I like to do the opposite of what Subaru says.

Last edited:
You already answered your question that 0W16 and 20 are to satisfy CAFE, so were 5W20 & 30. I agree that CAFE standards are a joke, but what makes you want to use 0W30?

yes, I did answer my own question kindof but i'm paranoid that a thicker oil like 0w-30 might be counter productive

Thicker oil would help the timing chains survive, not hurt them. If you want to use an Xw30, feel free to do so but it’s not needed.

And it seems like you’re new to the Subaru family, so here’s a tidbit: Subaru has never sold a turbocharged 6 cylinder in the US. All the WRX/STis (and Baja, Outback, Legacy, and Forester) have been 4 cylinder turbos. Welcome to the club 👍🏻

I actually knew that, but for some reason I falsely thought the new outback wilderness had a 6 cylinder turbo

I agree with Rogue!

I constantly put the engine under load when i'm driving up the mountains in Colorado, i'd prefer the 30 weight for extra protection if the clearances can handle it.

Back