0w-30/5w-30 in a 2024 crosstrek and subaru timing chains

I know its been talked about a lot but my new 2024 crosstrek calls for 0w-16 or a in a pinch 0w-20. I changed the factory oil out at 1,300 miles and put in 0w-20.

I Know the recommendation for thinner oils in owners manuals is usually CAFE related and I want to to put 0w-30 in but ive been told subarus do better with thinner oil because of subarus timing chains.

I know the turbocharged subarus recommend 5w-30 and I cant imagine any tighter clearances between the 4 cylinder NA engines and the turbocharged 6 cylinder engines. But I dont know. The car is under warranty. A technician at the dealership said 0w-30 is fine.

Would it be wise to switch to 0w-30? my concern is the effect of thicker oil on the timing chains.
Thicker oil up to a point protects better. What does oil do ? Oil keeps the parts separated.

What's the correct way to think about this (or the proper terminology to use, I've seen people use "tolerance" or "clearance")?
Well if you look up those terms you’ll find the difference.

And yes a large clearance may require a higher grade. But smaller clearances do not require a thinner grade. The oil will get in between the bearing surfaces just fine.

But smaller clearances do not require a thinner grade. The oil will get in between the bearing surfaces just fine.
There has to be an upper limit though, correct? Otherwise wouldn't we be able to run 15W-60 in engines recommending 0W-20?

There has to be an upper limit though, correct? Otherwise wouldn't we be able to run 15W-60 in engines recommending 0W-20?
Why can't you? As long as the winter rating is appropriate for the expected starting temperatures you certainly can.

There is no need for that high of an HT/HS in such an engine but it isn't going to cause damage.

I know its been talked about a lot but my new 2024 crosstrek calls for 0w-16 or a in a pinch 0w-20. I changed the factory oil out at 1,300 miles and put in 0w-20.

I Know the recommendation for thinner oils in owners manuals is usually CAFE related and I want to to put 0w-30 in but ive been told subarus do better with thinner oil because of subarus timing chains.

I know the turbocharged subarus recommend 5w-30 and I cant imagine any tighter clearances between the 4 cylinder NA engines and the turbocharged 6 cylinder engines. But I dont know. The car is under warranty. A technician at the dealership said 0w-30 is fine.

Would it be wise to switch to 0w-30? my concern is the effect of thicker oil on the timing chains.
Here is a compromise... just use Mobil1 0w30 AFE. Previous UOAs have shown it will shear down over time to a high 8 Cts anyway. And it SHOULD be 2.9 Hths as it starts as a 30w. Any warranty work UOA should come back as a high 20w. For the record, I service a 2004 Escape w/ a Duratec 3.0 with this oil since new, and it is pushing 230k, 6k oil change w/ Motorcraft filter. Usage is 1qt in 6k miles. It has never run anything but AFE 0w30. Of course I'm not saying it's the best, but given your concerns, it's a good compromise.

10 years from now your timing chain will be fine and you'll be pouring whatever is on sale into the crankcase without giving it a second thought.

I plan to only use 5W-30 forever in whatever vehicle I ever end up owning (regardless of what the CAFE influenced owner's manual says).
Googling "HTHS wear chart" is what convinced me.

Higher HTHS and MOFT is important if one of your drives unexpectely turns into severe service (like if going up mountains, or stuck in bumper to bumber traffic for long periods with Air conditioner on and engine temperatures rising, etc).

I try to choose a medium to high HTHS within the 5W-30 range.
I try to use at least HTHS 3.1+. Optimal choice is HTHS of 3.5+ (Ex: Acea A3/B4, or C3).

Last edited:
So 0w-30 and 5w-30 should be fine? Forget warranty issues. Lettuce be real here.

Wrx runs a 0w20
Unless WRX is used by someone OCD on warm up and maximum fuel economy (not the reckless hypermiling) and engine longevity, WRX should be running 0 or 5W30. That is a budget high performance vehicle.

I actually may out 5W30 in my Fit spec’ed for 0W20 this summer when I potentially take it on long distance trips at high speed with 4-5 people and gears with the A/C blasting. I may lose 1-1.5 mpg but definitely lower the risk of wear with such a high load on the engine.

Unless WRX is used by someone OCD on warm up and maximum fuel economy (not the reckless hypermiling) and engine longevity, WRX should be running 0 or 5W30. That is a budget high performance vehicle.

I actually may out 5W30 in my Fit spec’ed for 0W20 this summer when I potentially take it on long distance trips at high speed with 4-5 people and gears with the A/C blasting. I may lose 1-1.5 mpg but definitely lower the risk of wear with such a high load on the engine.
And there too a thicker oil will cause the engine to warm up faster.

What did the engine call for when it was first released? I know this model has been out a while. Is it the same engine with little to no changes?

5w-30 I believe
FB2 liter was a 0w20 for Impreza and Crosstrek wife's 23 is 0W20.

The lubricant will flow to places it need to be, but controls and systems will balk at an overly viscous fluid and with an overboard HTHS and car will be unresponsive to a fault.

Been there and done it a few times over the past decade. If you DD a car from new, you will know if it is working well enough to design intent.
'
Only go as high on HTHS as you anticipate the necessity. Script on the oil fill cap is the starting point.

For the record, I service a 2004 Escape w/ a Duratec 3.0 with this oil since new, and it is pushing 230k, 6k oil change w/ Motorcraft filter. Usage is 1qt in 6k miles. It has never run anything but AFE 0w30.
Really? Since 2004, never run anything else? How’d you get your hands on it four full years before AFE was even available?

FB2 liter was a 0w20 for Impreza and Crosstrek wife's 23 is 0W20.

The lubricant will flow to places it need to be, but controls and systems will balk at an overly viscous fluid and with an overboard HTHS and car will be unresponsive to a fault.

Been there and done it a few times over the past decade. If you DD a car from new, you will know if it is working well enough to design intent.
'
Only go as high on HTHS as you anticipate the necessity. Script on the oil fill cap is the starting point.
I was curious on what was required when the vehicle first came out. Not a 2023 model year.

Back