Motul 8100 0w-20: Eco-Lite vs Eco-Clean (or anything else)? For Citroen C1 (Toyota Aygo)

Hello

I recently changed oil to Motul 8100 5w-30 Eco-Lite.

I have a Citroen C1 which is a Toyota Aygo so I found the service manual for the Aygo in my region. It says 0w-20 is recommended and filled in factory but that also 5w-30 is allowed.

This is from the manual (I took the manual from another region so it says 0w-16, but the manual in my language for my region says 0w-20):

But on next oil change I plan to try 0w-20.

The Motul is easily available here so that's why I chose it. Which one should I choose next? The same Eco-Lite I'm using now or the Eco-Clean?

Of course there are other oil brands here so you can suggest anything else I'll check if they are available

*Also, where I live in winters it never goes below 0c and in summer it can get to 37c

Should I maybe stick to 5w-30? Or listen to the manual and use 0w-20 still? I'm just worried it might be too thin for where I live but again it's their recommendation so not sure

Thanks

For those temps, I’d lean toward staying with the 5w-30. It’ll flow well at 0c, and also have a good HTHS for summer temps.

I spy with my little thickie eye 15w-40 on the chart.
Haha it's the only one that is "not recommended" though
For those temps, I’d lean toward staying with the 5w-30. It’ll flow well at 0c, and also have a good HTHS for summer temps.
Thank you, what I don't understand is, why they write it like other oils are only "temporary"? They say as if you should use 0w-20 always and others only for one oil change ("however it should be replaced in the next oil change").

Haha it's the only one that is "not recommended" though

Thank you, what I don't understand is, why they write it like other oils are only "temporary"? They say as if you should use 0w-20 always and others only for one oil change ("however it should be replaced in the next oil change").
I’m seeing the phrase “resource conserving” in the screenshot of your manual.

Just a guess, but they’re probably required to phrase it that way due to your version of our CAFE standards.

Then looks like I can stick to 5w-30. I was afraid about flow in the winter, close to 0c temps but you said it should do well there.

Then, out of the two, eco-lite or eco-clean, is any of them seem better?

Or you have a completely different recommendation that meets the specs above?

From that screenshot, it looks like you just need to meet SL, SM, or SN.

SP is backward compatible with those. So, from the Motul lineup you could go with either of the two you mentioned or 8100 X-cleanFE. It meets some very stringent OEM approvals, as well.

But honesty, you can’t go wrong with either one. I’m a fan of Motul, and use it in my M3. Good stuff.

Then looks like I can stick to 5w-30. I was afraid about flow in the winter, close to 0c temps but you said it should do well there.

Then, out of the two, eco-lite or eco-clean, is any of them seem better?

Or you have a completely different recommendation that meets the specs above?
An oil with a 5W winter rating (any grade) is suitable for starting down to -30 or so. At 0C you could easily use one with a 10W rating.

And it's not really about flow, it's about cranking and pumpability. If it pumps it will flow. That's what the winter rating guarantees.

Thank you guys! So now that I understand that the W part less matters for the winter where I live. Maybe there's still a reason that they recommend the 20 part? But will 20 protect as well as the 30 in a 35c summer? I guess in my case this part is more important then I wonder if I should try 20 next time.
I'm just afraid that it might not offer as good protection as 30 as I've read in other articles. But again, this is the manufacturer's recommended viscosity 😅.

Would you try 0w-20?

Thank you guys! So now that I understand that the W part less matters for the winter where I live. Maybe there's still a reason that they recommend the 20 part? But will 20 protect as well as the 30 in a 35c summer? I guess in my case this part is more important then I wonder if I should try 20 next reads time.
I'm just afraid that it might not offer as good protection as 30 as I've read in other articles. But again, this is the manufacturer's recommended viscosity 😅.

Would you try 0w-20?
Massive boatloads of threads on “will a 20-grade protect as well as a 30-grade”. Perhaps you check them out. There are so many you practically stumble over them when looking.

Massive boatloads of threads on “will a 20-grade protect as well as a 30-grade”. Perhaps you check them out. There are so many you practically stumble over them when looking.
I was waiting for you to post 20 links, like usual. lol

as for the thread. my car recommends 0w20 but I had to swap the motor so I'm going 5w30 on it cause it makes me feel all fuzzy inside. I say follow the fuzziness and do severe oci's, to myself

Back