0w-8 has gone mainstream. M1 AFE 0w-8.

Industrial pollution, including the manufacturing of electric cars, is among the worst offenders. Personal vehicles are just low-hanging fruit, an easy target. Transitioning to ever-thinner oils is an even lower-hanging fruit, one that doesn't yield any real-world results, except in laboratory test cycles and on paper. At the end of the day, it's the consumer who loses out, while everyone else wins.
True - but CCS is gaining steam and is only applicable to fixed discharges like a power plant …

Haven't had Toyota in ages, recently got to drive 2010 is350 Lexus with 100,000km on the odometer, but the engine and drivetrain felt really frictionless and light as a feather, spins fast and smooth.

Would not hesitate to use the the oil viscosity specified by Toyota.

It's specified for the USA's CAFE regulations. Not for Australia. It's not even a requirement. It's merely a recommendation with Manual small print that suggests a higher viscosity may be better where conditions exist.

Want the engine-oil parts to last longer?...... use 0w20.

Would not hesitate to use the the oil viscosity specified by Toyota.
As you know, previous returns do not guarantee future returns in stock market. Same story here. Its possible that Toyota knows what its doing and these engines will run 300k miles on 0w-8 oil. Time will tell, hopefully they are right. However, if Toyota made a mistake and this thin oil will lead to early failures, people with thicker oils (which are still listed in owner manuals of other countries ) will have better protection for their expensive investment.

I can't see WalMart dedicating any sort of shelf space to a product that isn't going to sell. Retail businesses live and die by shelf space efficiency. My local WalMart cleared out all of their 0W-16 because it didn't move. It was the dust collector of the store and 0W-8 won't be any different.

Maybe in 5 years it might become a retail darling. Today... NO.
I guess it depends on where you live.
Quite a few people have toyotas where i am and the local wal mart and canadian tire both always have mobil1 0w16 on the shelves. Canadian tire also has castrol 0w16. People seem to be buying it...albeit maybe its not as big of a seller as 0w20 or 5w30, but it still moves.

Quite a few people have toyotas where i am and the local wal mart and canadian tire both always have mobil1 0w16 on the shelves. Canadian tire also has castrol 0w16. People seem to be buying it...albeit maybe its not as big of a seller as 0w20 or 5w30, but it still moves.
Many people don't give it a thought, either buy what's on oil fill cap, what they were told or what manual says.
Many don't know what year their car is, what engine it has as far as number of cylinders or displacement etc.
I'm kinda surprised 0w-8 is sold in oil section thou and not in paint thinners or so... :ROFLMAO:

if 8 is too thin

RP-0W10.jpg

In my small suburban town you can buy 0W16 at the WM and all the auto parts stores. Every major brand is available somewhere including house brands like STP and NAPA.

If you look at the VOA of Mobil Jet Oil, it’s 5cst at 100C. I know it’s not additized, but people were shocked at the thought of it being run in cars….well, uh…not such a crazy thought, eh?
Well, it is additized but not additized for conventional vehicle engines.

Back