2023 Toyota Corolla

Is it ok to use 0W-16 even though the engine compartment shows 0W-8 for the car? I live in Florida? Thanks.

Is it ok to use 0W-16 even though the engine compartment shows 0W-8 for the car? I live in Florida? Thanks.
This Topic has already been discussed ad nauseum.

read this thread:

note: The one thing I noticed on VOA was the TGMO in the light grades have abundant moly.
I would stick exclusively with that option if it was my car.

- Ken

As ARCOgraphite pointed out, this has already been beaten to death in another thread.

If, after reading that whole thread, the OP can't make his mind up one way or another, well, this thread isn't going to improve the odds ...

Let's just let this thread die of natural causes, please.

You don't read the Owners Manual for their recommendations?
Engine compartments sometimes gets incorrect stickers, toppings......etc. Oil caps that read the wrong viscosity and dipsticks lengths are common mistakes in engine factories.

Did any Toyota engine guru ever express his opinion publicly, that the engine would be harmed using 0w16/20 fulltime instead?

If I have my way and convince my wife, by the end of the 2023 we will own a pair of 0w8 Toyotas. I will run the watery oil for 3k.
Afterwards?...... I dunno until I investigate the merits of continued use of 0w8 with Toyota Inc. The only merits I'm expecting is a fraction of improved MPG.... less than a single MPG improvement.

If I want to abide by CAFE, I'll visit one for dinner and have the chef recommend a nice plate on the Menu.

Last edited:
I'm comparing the '23 and '24 manuals for the Corolla. They both seem to have the same engine:

'23:
1708366339178.jpg

'24
1708366351744.jpg

But the sump capacity seems to have changed

'23:
1708366378517.jpg

'24:
1708366397746.jpg

Why did they reduce the sump capacity as well?

This Topic has already been discussed ad nauseum.

read this thread:

note: The one thing I noticed on VOA was the TGMO in the light grades have abundant moly.
I would stick exclusively with that option if it was my car.

- Ken
I'm betting the moly is for the timing chains

Do these have the variable oil pump like the 2.5 in the Camry/Rav's that require 0w16? Might want to think twice before deviating from what the OEM recommends...

Yes, not very BITOG like, but something to think of.

Back