Looking for cheap work truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: VintageBikesUSA
It came with a V6 4.2 but I am told you can put a 4.6 or 5.4 V8 in it easy.

Possible = yes
Easy? No way.

https://s10v8.com/kits.html
The S-10 conversion kits are numerous and make the swap quite easy. I think Jegs offers one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: E150GT
I paid $1,500 for my 1995 F150 4.9 manual trans 2wd. It immediately needed brakes and tires, shocks, radiator, coolant and some brake fluid. Then it needed two new fuel pumps and an ignition control module.
I feel your pain. I paid 600$ for the Rat. 3k$ later and the end is nowhere in sight. Forget reliability. Look for a battered but running Caravan. Or a small trailer

A person could find a V6 4.2 and it would be a direct replacement for the Ford F-150 I mentioned. I think that motor has been offered for MANY years. As far as the 4.6 or 5.4 V8 I have no ideal if it is easy or not. The fact that trucks with no rust and good bones are bringing top money is the only Truth i know. i was going to buy it, drop a motor in it and use it for my beater work truck but just don't have the time. Time IS Money

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
Good luck with that. Used truck prices are insane!!

And new truck prices are much more insane ! :)

Does the OP NEED a truck or Want a truck ?

You would be lucky to find a serviceable car for $ 1000 .

Truck and car prices are not too high, our income is too low because of poor choices a few of us made in life and did not get the right education to sustain our bad habits, like buying everything we see....of course, I'm perfect, lol....

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Is this a scam too? https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/chevy-silverado-for-sale/6367343909.html

No, the condition matches the price. The tires are half the value of the truck. I bet many years ago that was a sharp truck with those Alcoa wheels. It surely needs plenty of work and will most likely never be nice again, but might be a good 1 ton beater until it's not worth patching up.

The only advice I have is look at the local impound auctions and hope you get lucky. Otherwise, look for an old Ford E-Series or Aerostar(which is a Ranger underneath), GM van of the Chevy/GMC persuasion, or if you can find an Nissan Hardbody or the later Isuzus(those were basically a Rodeo ute or a rebranded S-10/Colorado).

Facebook ads have better deals than craigslist.... really!

$1000 will get you a truck that runs and drives, but not much else.
Expect lots of nickel-n-dime repairs.

$2000 will buy you a much more reliable truck.

quoted for truth. YOu have to find where the idiots are. The guys who'll sell a car when a plug wire goes south.

Originally Posted By: VintageBikesUSA
A person could find a V6 4.2 and it would be a direct replacement for the Ford F-150 I mentioned. I think that motor has been offered for MANY years. As far as the 4.6 or 5.4 V8 I have no ideal if it is easy or not. The fact that trucks with no rust and good bones are bringing top money is the only Truth i know. i was going to buy it, drop a motor in it and use it for my beater work truck but just don't have the time. Time IS Money

Personally, I would take that old 4.2 V6 over either of the OHC V8s. Cheaper and easier to work on.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Is this a scam too? https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/chevy-silverado-for-sale/6367343909.html

If you can see the license plate (state) and the vegetation and housing construction look local then probably not.

CL scam pictures also seem to have a wierd JPG "wrinkle" in them, which presumably defeats some sort of image search algorithm.

What I look for too. It's easy when you live in the desert and they post a picture with a field of grass, a bunch of huge trees or a house with vinyl siding in it.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino

If you can see the license plate (state) and the vegetation and housing construction look local then probably not.

CL scam pictures also seem to have a wierd JPG "wrinkle" in them, which presumably defeats some sort of image search algorithm.

exhibit A of a scam:

No license plate, no state inspection sticker (Northeast), weird words thrown in willy nilly so it doesn't look like a cut n paste. And look at the weird ripples in the picture, still visible in the screen grab.

No way that Camry ad is a scam. The seller just got sent to the U.K. on business and needs to sell it quickly. Just wire him the money and he'll arrange shipping.
lol.gif

Facebook ads have better deals than craigslist.... really!

$1000 will get you a truck that runs and drives, but not much else.
Expect lots of nickel-n-dime repairs.

$2000 will buy you a much more reliable truck.

This man speaks the truth. Probably would find something more road worthy for 2K. If you were closer I'd sell ya mine for that.

Here’s my “work truck”. I pull it with my Jeep and can do pretty much whatever a truck can do.

Originally Posted By: taztheman
Any ideas/suggestions where to look for a cheap truck (under 1000) that runs and drives.

Since this is four pages I'll quote the OP again. Check out www.copart.com

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back