Recommend a Used Pickup Truck

Wife and I buying a project house. We'll either turn it into our new place, or flip it, but it's going to be a fun year ahead.

Probably going to add a truck to help in the effort. A midsize with decent bed is the starting point but fairly open to ideas, suggestions, and recommendations. Not new, and not set on any age range as this will be a secondary vehicle.

Love the old early 90's square body style ranger's but most of those are soda can's now. Might as well throw in the S10 too. My brother bought a 4 cylinder S10 from a fella that put on 500k on it from his daily commute.

Nissan NV1500/2500 van or M-B Metris.

For something smaller, the NV200 or Chevy City Express, or the Transit Connect.

When I remodeled my house I found that there were only a few days when I really needed my F-150 to haul something big. Most of my trips were for little incidental stuff like another gallon of paint, a couple boxes of things, etc. that would have fit in a car. Have you considered just renting a truck on the days that you have to haul something substantial? That may be a more economical method then you don't have to worry about repairs, etc. on a vehicle.

Get something 15 years old or older, then it's exempt from MA emissions inspection.

Everyone makes equally good trucks, even RAM. Condition of your unit is important.

Don't get 4x4, it'll be beat and rusty.

I was happy with my early 90s Dakotas, though the 3'10" between wheel wells felt like sabotage trying to get me to get a bigger truck for sheet goods. Of course those are very long in the tooth now.

When I remodeled my house I found that there were only a few days when I really needed my F-150 to haul something big. Most of my trips were for little incidental stuff like another gallon of paint, a couple boxes of things, etc. that would have fit in a car. Have you considered just renting a truck on the days that you have to haul something substantial? That may be a more economical method then you don't have to worry about repairs, etc. on a vehicle.
I second this. Rent a u haul or pay for delivery of large items. The Millwork company dropped off all the trim and doors for my project for free. I paid for delivery on a pallet of landscape block. Also found junk hauler guys on Facebook that end up costing less than a trip to the dump for the demo work.

Ranger probably too small for hauling a large amount of materials, plus they have a cult like following pushing prices above F150s. F150s of the 2004-08 generation are in the sweet spot where they aren't new enough to be too expensive, and not too old that they are all rust buckets. The engines except for the 5.4 are bulletproof and can get nearly as good mileage as the V6 Rangers.

What's your budget for this? Might help us out a little bit.

I had a little beater S10 at one point for house stuff. It never broke down on me, but being a rust belt truck it always needed something. After many years I just bought a new truck to daily.

Rangers, S10's, Tacoma's, etc. they all will do the job. Find the least rusty one you can. Lots of older full size can be found for cheap as well. An F150 with the inline 6 and 5 speed manual is almost an un-killable combo. It's the frame and body rot that get them.

4X8 sheets of plywood fit inside a Grand Caravan Sto and Go van. Hauled 16 Foot lumber on the roof rack. I have a 1990 Ranger I use for most hauling. I have an 07 Ram 1500 for heavy stuff and an 05 Yukon xl for other stuff including helpers. Trailers are what I used for years but not anymore.

Back