Looking at a Used Car, lacking maintenance history

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm Looking at a 2021 Lexus GX460 with 36k 1 Owner. (Lease) It's not cheap, and I intend to keep it a long time.

Car is 2.5 hrs away so I would go see it but looking at Carfax and Lexus vehicle history it does not show anything past 10k miles(Oil and Filter change). It had a tire blowout at 5k which what ever.

I asked the dealer to send me a pic of the dipstick but the oil was already changed when they got it, and they don't have any records either.

Should I run away?

So I'm Looking at a 2021 Lexus GX460 with 36k 1 Owner. (Lease) It's not cheap, and I intend to keep it a long time.

Car is 2.5 hrs away so I would go see it but looking at Carfax and Lexus vehicle history it does not show anything past 10k miles(Oil and Filter change). It had a tire blowout at 5k which what ever.

I asked the dealer to send me a pic of the dipstick but the oil was already changed when they got it, and they don't have any records either.

Should I run away?
It's not going to be substantially sludged up even if the OCI is 20,000 miles assuming it had a good synthetic oil. The more likely scenario is he used an oil change place that doesn't place the maintenance on Carfax. The chance of the owner doing it himself on a vehicle like that is pretty close to zero-IMHO.

It's not going to be substantially sludged up even if the OCI is 20,000 miles assuming it had a good synthetic oil. The more likely scenario is he used an oil change place that doesn't place the maintenance on Carfax. The chance of the owner doing it himself on a vehicle like that is pretty close to zero-IMHO.
THIS ^^^^

Hmm, I'd still be leery of a 26k OCI even with an 8 quart sump. I'd keep shopping, there are loads of GX460's out there.

My BMW was also a lease car (3 years). It had oil changes at the interval recommended by the OLM (sort of okay).

It had some body damage that was not visible to me. When I found out I had that area properly re-repaired but still had some rusting in that area after a number of years. My recommendation would be to have a body shop go over the Lexus to see if any panels have been repainted. If yes I wouldn't buy it. For a long term keeper you want original paint.

Should I run away?
I change my own oils on all my vehicles, every six months or 3,000 miles, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST. I use name brand full sythetic oils. I am about to change the oil in my 2019 F350 6.7 diesel with 56k miles, their will be less than 1k miles on the oil.

As others have posted- nothing to worry about. Might be a stickler self maintained, as the prior owner didn't want to risk his super nice GX460 to the least experienced tech at the dealership doing a critical task of changing oil.

So it got its first oil change at 10k, which is according to the manual, I am guessing. Then it’s an unknown for 26k? seems iffy but I think I’d roll the dice, if nothing else can be found. Decent chance it got an oil change somewhere at some time, and it’s on the shorter side for doing actual damage.

Should I run away?
Most newer vehicles have an oil life monitor and reminder. My 2017 GMC Sierra oil life monitor resets can be tracked via my GMC app. I’m sure Lexus dealer can at least tell you about the resets and mileages associated. The question remains if the oil was actually changed or was it just a reminder reset…

crawl under the car and see if plenty of wrench marks on the drain plug and what kind of filter brand,cheap vs oem brand,or wix, etc ,can be indicative on who and work done ,look how clean dip stick is,and if any one cleaned it with emery cloth,(scratchs),put finger in fill port feel around for sludgey goo and smelly ,and listen at cold start up for brief noise,,i would (if you buy) change out oil to brand of oil of your choice and filter to be safe (dealers have been known to add thicker/stp to engines) to cover noise/problems.

Reactions: GON
I change my own oils on all my vehicles, every six months or 3,000 miles, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST. I use name brand full sythetic oils. I am about to change the oil in my 2019 F350 6.7 diesel with 56k miles, their will be less than 1k miles on the oil.

As others have posted- nothing to worry about. Might be a stickler self maintained, as the prior owner didn't want to risk his super nice GX460 to the least experienced tech at the dealership doing a critical task of changing oil.
I'd go broke changing oil that often!

Maybe a BITOGer 😂 before who insists on DIY.

I would not worry about it.
Lol yes. My 4Runner wouldn’t show maintenance history.

Ultimately, if this bothers you, look elsewhere or just get new. Lease vehicles arguably are neglected/ abused since the owner has no long term plans of ownership. 🤷‍♂️

Reminds me of the photo floating around on FB of the little old ladies car with ~100 miles on the oil, but was “in use” the 3-6 month time interval. Lol.

Keep looking, but if you come back to this car spend the $$$ and have an independent shop that specializes in Toyota/Lexus car perform a pre-purchase inspection.

I used to go broke changing oil that often also, until BITOG members posted oil clearances. I never ever pay over $2 for name brand full synthetic.
I've never seen oil that cheap. I pay about $20 off Amazon for 5w40. I run a lubes warehouse and our costs are more than that.

Some of my stuff holds 10-12 gallons. Most only 2-3 though.

I've never seen oil that cheap. I pay about $20 off Amazon for 5w40. I run a lubes warehouse and our costs are more than that.

Some of my stuff holds 10-12 gallons. Most only 2-3 though.
I post my oil purchases with pictures on BITOG. Search under my name and you will see the purchases. For,5w40 I was paying $2 a litre for pentosin, posted on BITOG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back