Looking for a NICE camper van. New or Used.

Ah that is why you are inquiring about Sprinter. I think that is different story than.
I know some folks here in Colorado that live in them. Absolutely go for 4X4. If there is word camping, don’t think twice whether you should go 4X4. It will come handy.
That means longer drives. Which means you will regenerate DPF regularly. In that case I would worry about oil cooler, not so much about manifold etc.
i have a friend that does some hauling with Sprinter from Kentucky to Minneapolis regularly, so will check with him.

The wife and I want to travel a bit in our later years. She originally wanted an RV or Motorhome but I think I have since converted her my way of thinking… A really nice van and some really nice hotels along the way. You can stay in some pretty nice places on a 75-100K budget.

I am thinking something like this for the van.

I rented a motorhome once for a week, and took my grandmother on her first real vacation ever of her life.

Maybe some day I would rent one again, but never will i buy.
Much rather drive a car, and alternate between tenting and hotels.

Reactions: Pew
The wife and I want to travel a bit in our later years. She originally wanted an RV or Motorhome but I think I have since converted her my way of thinking… A really nice van and some really nice hotels along the way. You can stay in some pretty nice places on a 75-100K budget.

I am thinking something like this for the van.

Words travel and camping, mean two things: 4x4 and clereance.
Those two things should be mandatory in the search.

Words travel and camping, mean two things: 4x4 and clereance.
Those two things should be mandatory in the search.
Ummm… not necessarily. My in-laws have a 5th wheel and regularly go “camping” in RV parks which don’t require either. Some of the locations have scenic places but where you park the RV doesn’t. I think it has different meaning to different people. Heck when I was kids we used to go tent camping and that was camping.

Ummm… not necessarily. My in-laws have a 5th wheel and regularly go “camping” in RV parks which don’t require either. Some of the locations have scenic places but where you park the RV doesn’t. I think it has different meaning to different people. Heck when I was kids we used to go tent camping and that was camping.
Sure, if you are going to RV, yes you don’t need either. But than, get RV not Sprinter etc.
IDK what are his intentions, but mostly Sprinters I see are one more geared for adventure than RV parks.

My very nice carbon Stumpjumper lived in the back of the truck for a month while we traveled earlier this year and I was unhappy with the condition of some of the hardware when we got home and that’s somewhat protected. Not sure what but something will change before next trip. FYI
Hardware?? Not sure. Specifically?

^ That's a good point, we wanted to bring ONE kayak and wound up travelling with it inside the vehicle. It was on a tarp on the bed!

Came across the Mercedes on the way home from work today. Private party, 2015.

PXL_20231229_225622542.jpg
PXL_20231229_225633697.jpg
PXL_20231229_225645327.jpg
PXL_20231229_225710155.jpg
PXL_20231229_225727698.jpg
PXL_20231229_225738421.jpg
PXL_20231229_225747229.jpg

Hardware?? Not sure. Specifically?
As in some of the bolts got rust on them living out in the open. My wife's older bike did worse. Not sure how to prevent it but the point of going to great riding spots is to ride your good bike so bringing an older who cares bike isn't great.
Came across the Mercedes on the way home from work today. Private party, 2015.
No evidence on the exterior of it being upfitted for camping. It doesn't sound like Pablo is looking for a major build project.

Back