Looking for cheap work truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that a minivan or E series Ford van can be a good reliable beater, if that would work for you. The E series vans are basically trucks undernieth so they have no problems towing work trailers and such.

Look at Craig's list Texas and Arizona.At least rust shouldn't be a problem.Be wary of flood vehicles being sold.Consider a station wagon.Cheaper than a truck.Better on gas.Depends on what you plan on doing with this vehicle.

I gave a 1988 Dodge Dakota with a 2.2 liter engine, 5 speed manual, stripped, (no ac, no power anything,) away to a summer camp for kids 20 years ago...

Had 75,000 on the odometer, has 150K now, still going strong,..
Slow, rusty, but strong.
0-60 in that truck was at least 90-120 seconds of pure hesitation...

I got my '88 K1500 for a grand earlier this year. I drove it home. It was scary, though. It was neglected, but had good bones. I easily have $1000 in it in new parts, and many Saturday afternoons of labor. But I have had continuous use of it, and it hasn't let me down, yet. I've had many beater pickups, and I think I will be holding on to this one for a long time. It is exactly what I need a beater truck to be:
1. 4wd
2. able to tow and haul what I need
3. cheap and easy to work on
4. ugly enough that I don't care about scratching the paint, and traffic steers clear because they know I don't care

Mexican fellow up the road is selling his little Ford Ranger, 5-speed 2wd for $1,200. It's a beater, but it runs and drives
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: Chris142
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/d/great-work-1995-ford-f150/6388552382.html

Why do we post links that are on the opposite side of the country? If the OP can only spend a grand-I bet he doesn't have $700.00 to ship it.

BTW-114,000 ORIGINAL MILES? Yea sure.
just to show whats out here. Older trucks like that are cheap here. My truck might be worth $2500 here. Double that on the east coast

Find a old beat up pickup truck with a rusted out box, tear off the box and make yourself a flatbed. Of course it would have to run.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/d/great-work-1995-ford-f150/6388552382.html

Why do we post links that are on the opposite side of the country? If the OP can only spend a grand-I bet he doesn't have $700.00 to ship it.

just to show whats out here. Older trucks like that are cheap here. My truck might be worth $2500 here. Double that on the east coast

A 114K mile, 1 owner, rust free, undamaged, well equipped 1995 F-150 XLT Super Cab 4X4 isn't $1,000 anywhere on this planet. That ad is a scam, common on CL.

Yea-except it's probably not real....a scam.

Facebook ads have better deals than craigslist.... really!

$1000 will get you a truck that runs and drives, but not much else.
Expect lots of nickel-n-dime repairs.

$2000 will buy you a much more reliable truck.

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: Alex_V

Find a solid '67-72 Chevy truck. If you're gonna have something that you have to work on all the time, it'll at least be cheap and simple to do so.

Those haven't been cheap for awhile now, At least around here. I sold a "no option" 1969 C20 Chevy truck that didn't run, Floors & Rockers rusted out & didn't have a title for $2500 6 months ago....They were happy to have it.

I know they’re climbing, but the occasional forlorn old farm truck comes up for less than that.

Not around here either...

Anything solid Ford or Chevy that year range is up there...

Nashville CL, i just saw a 2000 Ford F-150 with 8 ft long bed, THIS is a 4 door truck which is cool, manual trans with OD, AC, PS, PB, new HD Goodyear 10 ply Tires and NEW Interstate Battery for 900. It came with a V6 4.2 but i am told you can put a 4.6 or 5.4 V8 in it easy. It needs motor work but is a good looking truck. i have been looking myself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: VintageBikesUSA
It came with a V6 4.2 but I am told you can put a 4.6 or 5.4 V8 in it easy.

Possible = yes
Easy? No way.

Originally Posted By: taztheman
Any ideas/suggestions where to look for a cheap truck (under 1000) that runs and drives.

Honestly, the only vehicles I see that can be found in great shape - and cheap - are minivans.

Once a person trashes any psychological stigma, you'll find they are actually darn useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back