A decent $5,000 car?

I remember sitting in a repair shop around 1990 and there was a Gates catalog on the table. I began looking through it and it had an asterisk next to interference engines. If memory serves me, the Mitsubishis all were…
Must have been the 4v Mitsubishis. Some of the 2v were non interference i think.

I don't know if they made any 2v engines after 1990

Maybe a 2010 Ford Fusion with a 2.5 l four cylinder.

View attachment 208591
Here's a clean looking 2011 Fusion 2.5 with 6spd manual. Under 100k mi. A tad over budget at $5900 but those 2.5's are tanks & with the manual, should be a bit more peppy.

My son turns 15 this week. Was browsing manual transmission cars for his first car & saw this. A similar one not in CA could likely be <$5k @MCompact

Looks like the link doesn't want to cooperate. Here's the 1st image from the ad:

1711355938899.jpg

My co-worker was selling his '12 coupe EX w/nav and same mileage for $7k, but I opted for a '16 Santa Fe for $5k from a colleague; hopefully the 2.4 won't grenade on me if I keep it.
If it does you should get a replacement engine for free

5k is not a lot of money for a reliable car, you probably have to take some trade off like cosmetic condition and find a banged up gem that has a reputable reliable powertrain.

I also assume with 5k you want it to be good mpg so you don't spend a lot on gas? If so your choices are even more limited. Probably a faded corolla or a rattle can Prius with high mileage. I usually recommend people to spend 7-10k min on a good condition safe bet used car instead of 5k then pray.

Back