A decent $5,000 car?

I have a friend who is looking for a reliable car for around $5,000. That's not exactly my area of expertise (if I was looking in that price range I'd be drawn to decrepit Alfas, a miled-up SLK or a dead 924). Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Maybe a 2010 Ford Fusion with a 2.5 l four cylinder.

52596361-29C8-4579-9C3B-CBFF4F0D2BEB.jpeg

Good luck, they need a miracle.

As stated, make sure the repair budget is about as big. This is bottom of the barrel and the vehicles reflect that.

Is this just to get by for a short time? can they buy, drive a year or two until something “expensive” breaks, then repeat? if so, that isn’t as bad.

5k will get you a car at least 10 years old, with over 200k miles on it, and possibly unsafe levels of rust. People hold onto them longer and can't justify the high cost of repairs so they do, nothing to them. Good Luck.,,

1G and 2G RLs are comfortably in that price range. Just avoid the 05' and maybe some 06's. Just some general teething issues with changing a car so much in a year. Just make sure that there is a decent maintenance log and no rust on the 1Gs. The 2Gs shouldn't have too much rust as they have a lot of aluminum. On the 2Gs, watch out for the carbon fiber driveshaft. If that goes its 3k for the part alone. There was a massive tsb for it a while back, but it is long done. If it wasn't done, chances are its going to go. 1gs are great except for gas mileage a lot of the time. Make sure the diff fluid was changed at good intervals for both generations as they both have discrete differentials.

Buy the best car you can. You will be bucks ahead. At that price, you will be lucky if the dents and scratches are minimal.
Heck, even a decent set of tires is gonna be $600 and up.

It’s possible, depending on what you consider “decent.” In 2021 I bought a 2009 Scion xB with a 5M and 145k miles for $3900 OTR. It burned oil initially but was completely cured with a couple of piston soaks and now has 167k miles. It has ugly paint and a rusty rocker panel, but mechanically it’s perfect. Every button and knob works just like it’s suppose to, all the fluids have been replaced and it has good tires and brakes all around. Total maintenance cost with tires included was probably $500.

I suspect it has at least 50k more usable miles left and if I sold it today I could probably get back $3000 of my initial investment. So by my definition I bought a “decent” used car for <$5000.

I just searched AutoTrader in Zip Code 33478, 100 mile radius, $4,000-6,000, and got a number of results. Some "seem" viable. While many were from 2002-2006, there were some newer cars, and a few EV's.

As always, a low price used car is a risk and even a good inspection won't pick up all internal problems.

South Florida is a great place to pick up a used car. No rust, and smooth roads, so suspension components are not destroyed and cars don't rattle. They can be sun-baked though.

Found a clean, local 2011 Equinox with 3.0L engine, 110K miles in that list. Those engines make about 170K if maintained at all and transmissions over 200K.

Last edited:
A Ford panther product?

I’m guessing the Ford and Mercury wouldn’t have air ride suspension? Less to go wrong.

Idk where in KY your friend is, but here are a couple options. You only mentioned reliable, so I threw a couple gas guzzlers on the list. But I would strongly suggest coming down to SouthEast. You can get a much better vehicle for same money. And rust free. Atlanta, Charlotte, and Raleigh all have tons of good cars below $5k. Then take a road trip back home on new-to-your-friend car. Don't forget to negotiate 🙂

Last edited:
I recently sold a slightly hail damaged '12 Honda Accord LX with 150k to the neighbors daughter for $4,500. Keep an eye out, you can get a LOT of car for $5k.
My co-worker was selling his '12 coupe EX w/nav and same mileage for $7k, but I opted for a '16 Santa Fe for $5k from a colleague; hopefully the 2.4 won't grenade on me if I keep it.

Last edited:
I just searched AutoTrader in Zip Code 33478, 100 mile radius, $4,000-6,000, and got a number of results. Some "seem" viable. While many were from 2002-2006, there were some newer cars, and a few EV's.

As always, a low price used car is a risk and even a good inspection won't pick up all internal problems.

South Florida is a great place to pick up a used car. No rust, and smooth roads, so suspension components are not destroyed and cars don't rattle. They can be sun-baked though.

Found a clean, local 2011 Equinox with 3.0L engine, 110K miles in that list. Those engines make about 170K if maintained at all and transmissions over 200K.
Had some cars from Florida, rust will still be present. Salty air does it's job. It's also very common to see how one side of the car is more rusty than the other. That's usually a result of which side faces the ocean, when the owner parks it in driveway.

Back