Anyone run 5w-20 in the new Hondas that spec 0w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wag123
From what I have seen, it appears that anything from 0W-20 to 10W-40 will work just fine in them. It is their V/6 engines that seem to be a little more picky and harder on oil.

You guessed earlier that EPA/CAFE are the reason behind the 0W-20 recommendation here, and I think you are right to some degree, but not for perhaps the obvious reason.

Part of the EPA rules is that manufacturers have to ensure, to the best of their ability, that users have access to and will use the same lubricant that was used during the fuel economy testing. The reason behind that is probably intuitive: they don't want Honda running a 0W-10 oil or something for the fuel economy test, then recommending that users run 5W-30. So they say that the manufacturer has to do everything in its power to ensure that the user uses the same lubricant when the vehicle is in service.

This is, I believe, why we commonly see these single grade recommendations in the American market. Not "single grade" as in SAE 30, but one single recommendation, as in 0W-20 for all temperatures or 5W-30 for all temperatures.

We already see that lighter grades are recommended (and presuambly available) in other parts of the world, either as a primary recommendation or as an alternative recommendation. It is funny, as an American, to see 0W-20, 0W-30, and 0W-40 all recommended for the same vehicle, with the same temperature spread. I think the take-away from that is, simply, "you can use whatever you like." To be sure, there will still be pros and cons to different grades. I think if the rules were different here, you'd see more recommendations like that.

I don't think the EPA is behind the lighter grades being recommended (or if they are, only indirectly), but I do believe they are behind the single "for all temperatures" recommendation in most American owner's manuals.

The manufacturers of cars and oil are pretty clear that CAFE drives the lighter trend (or carbon taxes in Japan, see the xW-16 caper)....Honda even state that they are increasing journal width, and reducing radial clearances, which is a response to thinner oils, and trying to regain oil film thicknesses.

But I do agree that their requirement that the oil that is tested, and gets the CAFE credits is supposed to be the one that they strongarm (to a greater or lesser degree) the end user into using.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
From what I have seen, it appears that anything from 0W-20 to 10W-40 will work just fine in them. It is their V/6 engines that seem to be a little more picky and harder on oil.

You guessed earlier that EPA/CAFE are the reason behind the 0W-20 recommendation here, and I think you are right to some degree, but not for perhaps the obvious reason.

Part of the EPA rules is that manufacturers have to ensure, to the best of their ability, that users have access to and will use the same lubricant that was used during the fuel economy testing. The reason behind that is probably intuitive: they don't want Honda running a 0W-10 oil or something for the fuel economy test, then recommending that users run 5W-30. So they say that the manufacturer has to do everything in its power to ensure that the user uses the same lubricant when the vehicle is in service.

This is, I believe, why we commonly see these single grade recommendations in the American market. Not "single grade" as in SAE 30, but one single recommendation, as in 0W-20 for all temperatures or 5W-30 for all temperatures.

We already see that lighter grades are recommended (and presuambly available) in other parts of the world, either as a primary recommendation or as an alternative recommendation. It is funny, as an American, to see 0W-20, 0W-30, and 0W-40 all recommended for the same vehicle, with the same temperature spread. I think the take-away from that is, simply, "you can use whatever you like." To be sure, there will still be pros and cons to different grades. I think if the rules were different here, you'd see more recommendations like that.

I don't think the EPA is behind the lighter grades being recommended (or if they are, only indirectly), but I do believe they are behind the single "for all temperatures" recommendation in most American owner's manuals.

Well stated. And yes they are indirectly behind what I call the one size fits all oil recommendation for many American owners manuals. To tell you the truth as a result you might even be able to say directly related, but saying that you might catch some heat. LOL I'd bet if the EPA went bye bye, you'd see choices again. As a side note before I get flamed I made no comment about what's better thicker or thinner, or if having a choice even matters. I learned to keep that to myself lately. JMO time to hide.
27.gif

Well said Shannow. A few of us have similar views.

Last edited:
wag123 said:
From what I have seen, it appears that anything from 0W-20 to 10W-40 will work just fine in [Honda k-series motors]. It is their V/6 engines that seem to be a little more picky and harder on oil.

. . . . It is funny, as an American, to see 0W-20, 0W-30, and 0W-40 all recommended for the same vehicle, with the same temperature spread. I think the take-away from that is, simply, "you can use whatever you like." . . . [Emphasis added.]

I could not agree more, particular with your conclusion that, within reason, "you can use whatever you like . . ." This has pretty much been the case with Honda 4-cylinder motors for literally decades. In this regard, I find ever-changing obsession with one or another 0W-20 weight oil, and now the hybrid concontions, very entertaining.

Righto! The manual for my Japan-made 2012 CRV lists the following oil grades as suitable:
0W-20, 0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-30, 5W-40 for all ambient temperatures from -30 to >+40 degrees Celsius. I just got the CRV back from its oil change from the dealer. Guess what they put in? SL 5W-40 genuine Honda fully synthetic oil.

I remember when I purchased my new 2002 F-150 which spec'd 5W-20, meeting the Ford specs. I asked the service manager if you used a different viscosity oil would that automatically void the warranty. He said no. They look to see if the oil and filter were changed in a timely manner, with proof. If you used 15W-40 you are not going to kill the engine within the warranty period. You might shorten it's life in cold climates but it will be long past Ford's warranty. Neglect of service is what they were looking for. The leased vehicle with a seized engine and 25,000 on the factory oil fill and filter. They were getting quite a few of those. Those customers were made to pay for the repairs.

For me in the 4 season climate I live in and the fact I do 5,000 miles in a 12 month period the use of 5W-20 suites my needs nicely. I've could have also used 5W-30 and been happy. Though the 5W-20 gives me the edge in the winter and no negatives in our warmer days.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back