Is this oil too old? Recs for a 2019 Subaru Outback, 2022 Lexus RX450h . . .

First time back on the BITOG after years away. I was an oil hoarder back in the great AutoZone year-end $2/quart sales in 2015-2017. Most of the oil they were discounting was older stock that wouldn't move anyway. Back then I bought ~130 quarts of various weights and makes, and got $2/quart rebates on all the Quakerstate and Pennzoil on top of it. Unfortunately, I've hardly used it as it's sat in my dad's barn (climate-controlled) as I've been away from home for the last 5 years. Finally made it home to pick through the old haul.

I've got my car, 2019 Subaru Outback 3.6r. (NA port injected flat six), and the girlfriend's car Lexus RX 450H (NA port+direct injection Atkinson cycle V6+hybrid).

The Outback calls for API-SN/ILSAC GF-5, 5w-30. The only 5w-30 I have was 20 quarts of Pennzoil Ultra Euro L. It is ACEA A3/B3/B4 + various other specs, but isn't API-SN. However, If I remember the ACEA spec was a stronger spec then API-SN. Looks like it's just short of 9 years old manufactured on November 7th 2014. Do we think this oil is still good? Is it reasonable to run this oil slightly off spec? Use case will be 6K mile OCI with mixed to mostly highway driving, and oil change every 6 to 9 months. Oil filter will be a XG9688 (also made 2015, the old 6 pack Ebay deal that's now dried up)

The RX calls for API-SN/ILSAC GF-5 0w-20. I have 12 quarts of Mobil 1 EP 0w-20. Meets spec. It was made in January 2014 if I'm reading the date code right. I also have 15 quarts of Mobil super synthetic made March 2015. The use case will be 10k mile OCI (manufacture spec). Mixed driving, lots of city interstate on a 15-mile commute, + long road trips. Oil filter will be a XG9972 (purchased new). Is the mobil 1 ep still good at nearly 10 years old? Is it reasonable to trust mobil Super Syn (8.5 years old) to do a 10K mile OCI? Would I be better off trusting her brand new car to new oil?

20231017_194235.jpg
20231017_194346.jpg
20231017_194355.jpg
20231017_194415.jpg

You know if you lived closer I'd take all that Hazmat off your hands for a small fee!
I've got more weights. 6 quarts of Mobil 1 5w-50 that I thought was really cool. A few dozen 0w-30, 10w-30. 5w-20. Mobil 1, quaker state, castrol edge/magnetic, . And like 40 qarts of Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w-40 that's going to go in the farm equipment . . . eventually.

I’ll pay postage and you can send me the Euro L. 🤣 Just kidding. It’s an ACEA C3 and that will work just fine in the Outback.

You need to be driving, say, a 2001 Civic with 160,000 miles. Then there would be no question where you will be using these oils. Your problem is not old oil, it's "newish" cars.

You need to be driving, say, a 2001 Civic with 160,000 miles. Then there would be no question where you will be using these oils. Your problem is not old oil, it's "newish" cars.
Yeah, and the recommened OCI's are not short either. 10k on that lexus has me concerned. But the BITGO wisdom does say the dealers use Toyota oil is basically the mobile super syn.

Unfortunately, this is the potential downside of oil hoarding…. bought all this thinking you were all set and now you’re reluctant even use it.
I tried to tell some hoarders that in the past... Stocking up is good within reason. Having bargain oil for 2-3 or even 5 years is OK. Hoarding a 25-50 year supply is not! That strategy will backfire and hoarders will be left with obsolete oils on hand.

Last edited:
I tried to tell some hoarders that in the past... Stocking up is good within reason. Having bargain oil for 2-3 or even 5 years is OK. Hoarding a 25-50 year supply is not! It will backfire.
Around a year is what I would consider the limit on reasonable. Life is too unpredictable to project future needs out any further. But to each his own.

I tried to tell some hoarders that in the past... Stocking up is good within reason. Having bargain oil for 2-3 or even 5 years is OK. Hoarding a 25-50 year supply is not! It will backfire.
Well I have some older oil I'm going to use. I mix it with current dated oil with zero concern. But that is a new one old oil knocking your timing of so badly your car will backfire! Oh and I also use it for top off oil.

Last edited:
I tried to tell some hoarders that in the past... Stocking up is good within reason. Having bargain oil for 2-3 or even 5 years is OK. Hoarding a 25-50 year supply is not! That strategy will backfire and hoarders will be left with obsolete oils on hand.

It depends. When I drove a lot and/or had three older vehicles it was great having a bunch of oil that I got cheap or free. Now I need 5qts of oil every 2 years, I just buy it at the store at whatever price when I need it instead of having a bunch of stuff floating around the garage.

It depends. When I drove a lot and/or had three older vehicles it was great having a bunch of oil that I got cheap or free. Now I need 5qts of oil every 2 years, I just buy it at the store at whatever price when I need it instead of having a bunch of stuff floating around the garage.
I think that is kind of the point. Life changed and you didn’t need as much anymore. If you had 50qts still l laying around it wouldn’t hurt anything but it wouldn’t help anything either.

I think that is kind of the point. Life changed and you didn’t need as much anymore. If you had 50qts still l laying around it wouldn’t hurt anything but it wouldn’t help anything either.
On the other hand, if you have an oil-burner, I think stashing up oil on sale or acquired for free would be very useful vs having to make a trip to the parts store and paying full retail for a quart here and there. Which I see people doing every day!

On the other hand, if you have an oil-burner, I think stashing up oil on sale or acquired for free would be very useful vs having to make a trip to the parts store and paying full retail for a quart here and there. Which I see people doing every day!
Of course.

And on the other, other hand, the oil burner could get rear ended and totaled, then you don’t need all that oil for top offs anymore.

Back