Moving from 0W-20 to 5W-30 in late model Toyotas

I switched our 2012 Corolla from 0w20 to 5w30 years ago, never noticed any difference in fuel economy or performance. I have two other vehicles that use 5w30 so it's easier to use any left over oil in one of the other vehicles as needed.

Like the one guy who insists that his engine knocks and sputters and runs so terribly on a W30 or W40 but not on a W20.
People who spout that kind of nonsense never worked on an engine in their life. They probably don't even pump their own gas, let alone change their own oil. But they're armchair experts with a bachelor's degree in keyboard tribology! 😅

Exactly. People really need to stop spreading this misinformation. Like the one guy who insists that his engine knocks and sputters and runs so terribly on a W30 or W40 but not on a W20. Ugh.
Well, I have flipped all of mine from 0W20 to 5W30 except for the only one under a dealer package - and yesterday’s paperwork says 5W30 LoL …

I made the switch in 2020. I can’t see any change in my MPGs.

IMG_5068.jpeg

Running 5W-30 in a 2019 RXh and two Tundras, as well as a GX460. 0W-20 is fine for a “normally” driven car. One car sees service as a Lyft/Uber, two see long drives to Tahoe or the coast, one has a lead foot husband.

Toyota is Toyota...gold standard of reliability. Unless the vehicle shows signs it needs it like leakage I would with what they tell me.

People who spout that kind of nonsense never worked on an engine in their life. They probably don't even pump their own gas, let alone change their own oil. But they're armchair experts with a bachelor's degree in keyboard tribology! 😅
You realize the older VVTi engine (more at: Toyota/Yamaha) from 15 years ago had less control valving and the intake timing retard was related oil pressure on the mechanism after (ECU) programmed HOT /RUN threshold.

The early onset of sub-optimal retard phasing was quite noticeable in small commuter vehicles at lower operational rpm.

The difference between competing DOHC 1.5l with vvti or VTEC was blatantly observable. The VTEC was largely un-fazed with a lubricant grade change where the VVTi was certainly phased.

Current systems have more programmed control of VVT phasing (and fine position sensing) a necessity with both cams phased and varied operational system pressures through warmup.

A long way from iron SBC "I guess I am going to install this new performance cam 4 deg advanced since I didn't loosen the converter stall"

- Ken

Last edited:
This 20 to 30 viscosity is a common question.
Yes. Just do it if you are inclined - no biggie.

If the car doesn't respond well, it's all an OC away.

Warranty? The service writer zone rep could care less - unless you haven't thrown the joint a bone or two or three over the life of your vehicle.

One hand washes the other

Yes. Just do it if you are inclined - no biggie.

If the car doesn't respond well, it's all an OC away.

Warranty? The service writer zone rep could care less - unless you haven't thrown the joint a bone or two or three over the life of your vehicle.

One hand washes the other
Just out of curiosity, I asked my dealer service advisor if he would put in a 30 weight oil (because I was planning on towing in the summer heat) when I came in for a toyota care interval. He said it would most likely void my warranty but he would have to check on it. I would have to sign a waiver at the very least because the "oil passages are very narrow and it could cause oil leaks" LOL! Daddy government got them all gaslit pretty good!

If you have any concerns with 5W30 then just run a 5W30 on the thin side (such as Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 synthetic) .

Reactions: pbm
Back